New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    doesn't toyota overrate engines too? 145hp claim nila sa altis 1.8G pero 126hp lang yun sa US..

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico
    doesn't toyota overrate engines too? 145hp claim nila sa altis 1.8G pero 126hp lang yun sa US..
    I saw that observation on C! before... they were saying that it was only in the Phils where the 1.8 engine got that high a HP rating.

On the topic, i think the Corolla has an edge over the GSR Lancer in engine and gearing (this is just my feel based on driving both cars though)... The old AE92 'rollas could easily keep up side-by-side with the GSR even with a less than 100hp rating (the body of this was light though).

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I think they deliberately overrated the Altis 1.8 with 145 hp, because with 136 hp, it wouldn't look so good against a 1.6 Civic that has 130 hp (though I suspect it's a 1.7). Honda seems to have been pulling it off by putting promising figures on the spec sheet. The EK (96-00) was indeed successful.

The 4A-FE is probably the most well-rounded 1.6 engine made without variable timing. It's got unmatched torque, enough urge to speed up, and economy at the top of its class.
    Last edited by squala; January 7th, 2006 at 06:19 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico
    yup, its actually 130hp... i heard that TMPI was just embarassed to pull off the wrong info they printed as per the Altis HP. i think the 145hp were from the MR2/Celica engine...so as the RAV4 SV's 145hp. it's engine is the same 1ZZ-FE like in the Altis 1.8.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Ewan ko ha, pero nung may nasabayan yung 93 GLi stock ko na Lancer stock din with 3 passengers both, iniwan ako

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    it's probably all to the driver.

those inflated horsepower figures translate to MUCH lower figures at the wheels, hence a dyno is the only true measure.

besides, things like the weather can and do have a large effect (up to 10% - 15%) on engine performance. or, if your engine is not in tune.

but the point is, i don't think 110hp vs 120hp vs 130hp at the crank translates to such a huge difference at the wheels. the gearbox would have a larger effect, but the largest effect would be up to the driver. all these unsubstantiated "kill stories" with no controlled variables are just that -- stories.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdevil
    Ewan ko ha, pero nung may nasabayan yung 93 GLi stock ko na Lancer stock din with 3 passengers both, iniwan ako
    Practice lang yan.

Seriously though, the only thing that can prove one car faster than the other is a series of drag tests, with different drivers, provided that both cars are stock and in roughly the same condition.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    ewan ko lang ahh. meron din kasi ako nakasabay sa NLEX maangas tinapatan pako, sabay harurot.. sa aking pagkabalisa..dahil sa nalulungkot ako. nakipag habulan na lng ako. mula bocaue hanggang plaridel bulacan. nahabol naman kasi parang pumipiyok na makina nya sa 160kmph. o di kaya kinabahan na lng sya dahil medyo binibirit na namin mga makina namen.. cguro sa makatuwid wala naman lahat yan sa specs ng mga makina nyo! nasa Driver yan! if you want to get ahead out of others push yourself to the limit. wag puro makina pinu push.. hehe gudluck..

GSR 98' - Newly wash over
    Toyota 96 Gli

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
toyota 95 gli vs mitsu 99 gsr (same stock)