New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    carpy naman...!
    that's like recommending a papag over a mattress.
    The Adventure and Crosswind are indeed rather agricultural.

The Fortuner isn't great, actually. There's a lot of hard plastic in there.

The newest Everest has the best interior. But how many mid-2000's Everests do we see on the streets? almost none. Ford long-term reliability is the pits.

I think the Adventure still ships with the walang kamatayan na 4D56. Now that's an almost immortal engine.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Happy wife = Happy life

Buy her the car she wants .. (pagbigyan mo na)

Then save up for your OWN car.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    Get a toyota. 15 yrs is a long time. Get a ladder frame PPV. Those are engineered to last a long time. Model changes are every ten years. Unlike the models in your list which change every 5 years. I.e if you got a mazda 6 now, by the time you will sell it another 3 generations of new mazda 6's would have been launched rendering your car extremely obsolete and availability of spare parts will be sparse by that time.

If you got a fortuner which is still new, in 15 years it would only have gone thru one model change. So its not terribly obsolete and spare parts will be in abundance.

And since youre here so rarely, ease of maintenance is key.

Driving enjoyment? Theres only driving punishment here in Manila. Hehe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I was going this route. The Hi-Lux WAS in my consideration set, but the wife absolutely hates pick ups. The Fortuner should be worth a second look --- even if its current looks don't appeal to me.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    As someone who has owned three Mazda's (Mazda 626 GE, Mazda3 BK, Mazda6 GG1), buy the d*mn Toyota.

Subaru's are well made, yes (they retain value very well in the US) but the Fortuner is extremely common, has a high ground clearance, and, well, it's a Toyota.

Mazda always has been aspirational for me, and their cars look better than the competition, but they are fuel thirsty and things break with alarming frequency.

When I replaced the suspension on my Mazda3 (at 30K mileage) I was told that on the Vios, the suspension is warrantied for 3 years (not on the Mazda..)

I will admit I bought a 5-year old used Mazda6 and drove it for another 5 years (until mandatory scrapping) and it had zero issues (toward the end, the starter motor sometimes won't catch, and the A/C started losing refridgerant slowly.. after almost 10 years..!) But this was on glass-smooth roads. I never even got a flat in those 5 years.

Get the Toyota.
    If there is anything this thread has taught me:

1) Forget the Mazda, there are more quality issues than fairytale stories (still in love with the 6 Wagon though!)

2) Toyota is still perceived (perhaps, rightly so) as THE car for longevity-- especially the PPVs. Seriously considering a Fortuner now.

3) A close second is the Subaru Forester

4) Perhaps buying a new car just isn't worth it (from both a practical and emotional standpoint). Mas makakatipid pa ako kung bumili na lang ako ng Seamaster Aqua Terra :P

Time to sleep over this decision some more. Salamat, Tsikoteers. You guys never fail to deliver.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    As someone who has owned three Mazda's (Mazda 626 GE, Mazda3 BK, Mazda6 GG1), buy the d*mn Toyota.

Subaru's are well made, yes (they retain value very well in the US) but the Fortuner is extremely common, has a high ground clearance, and, well, it's a Toyota.

Mazda always has been aspirational for me, and their cars look better than the competition, but they are fuel thirsty and things break with alarming frequency.

When I replaced the suspension on my Mazda3 (at 30K mileage) I was told that on the Vios, the suspension is warrantied for 3 years (not on the Mazda..)

I will admit I bought a 5-year old used Mazda6 and drove it for another 5 years (until mandatory scrapping) and it had zero issues (toward the end, the starter motor sometimes won't catch, and the A/C started losing refridgerant slowly.. after almost 10 years..!) But this was on glass-smooth roads. I never even got a flat in those 5 years.

Get the Toyota.
    still the old mazda. that doesnt hold true to the newer one...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Altwegg View Post
    4) Perhaps buying a new car just isn't worth it (from both a practical and emotional standpoint). Mas makakatipid pa ako kung bumili na lang ako ng Seamaster Aqua Terra :P

Time to sleep over this decision some more. Salamat, Tsikoteers. You guys never fail to deliver.
    231.10.42.21.01.003 and
    Are the ones to have. ☺

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Adventure and Crosswind are indeed rather agricultural.

The Fortuner isn't great, actually. There's a lot of hard plastic in there.

The newest Everest has the best interior. But how many mid-2000's Everests do we see on the streets? almost none. Ford long-term reliability is the pits.

I think the Adventure still ships with the walang kamatayan na 4D56. Now that's an almost immortal engine.
    Actually, the first gen Everests with the WLT engine are rather reliable. Flood proof, nuclear bomb proof, speed limit proof...

-

The only practical choice in this case is to get a secondhand Crosswind and mail us the rest of the money. Sponsor a tsikot EB.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    231.10.42.21.01.003 and
    Are the ones to have. ☺
    228239 or the 118239 😁

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    231.10.42.21.01.003 and
    Are the ones to have. ☺
    Close! Looking at

and

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    still the old mazda. that doesnt hold true to the newer one...

Can you elaborate? When I mentioned Mazda horror stories, one of those was from a relatively new CX9. I initially chalked it up to poor maintenance.