New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    We are an OFW family but visit 1-2 times a year. Each visit is travel intensive in the sense that we hit the road all day everyday to visit friends, family, and attend events (good mix of urban and rural trips).

The upcoming tax increase has put us in a position where we are wanting to purchase a car of our own to keep for at least 15 years (all the cars in my family stay with us for 15 years at least).

The choices are down to the following, labelled the wife's choice as well:

HUSBAND: Mazda 6 wagon, Levorg
    WIFE: Forester base, Tucson

Our most common ground is the Forester, but I am not "feeling" this because the body is quite dated and I'd rather wait for the next one to come out --- by which time it may be too late.

The Tucson is something I can run with, but I have heard that it comes with many issues after the 5 year mark, issues that servicing will have a hard time addressing (true?).

Given that these models leave me and my wife at an impasse, can you recommend a few that tick these boxes:

1. Less than 2M
    2. Potentially timeless design -- won't look "old" in 10 years (I think the 06 Altis qualifies)
    3. Quality - won't have nagging mechanical issues assuming we service on time all the time, and take proper care of the vehicle

Would be great to hear your thoughts on this!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    my wife likes the levorg...i told her we'll wait for the 2.0 version

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

3. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Test drive with wife driving the Mazda.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    When my wife and I were looking for another vehicle last year, I told her I was more looking for a replacement to our old Accord. I told her the Mazda6 sedan/wagon and the 9th gen Accord are some of the choices I am looking at. She was more interested on a CUV - Xtrail, CX5, or Forester. In the end, we agreed on a Forester XT.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_BIG18 View Post
    my wife likes the levorg...i told her we'll wait for the 2.0 version

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    After asking the Motor Image folks a few months back, I don't think they will be bringing over the FA20-powered Levorg. It might eat up the sales of the Forester XT or WRX.

It would be good to have a choice of CUV, sedan, or wagon with the potent FA20 engine. However, wagons are not as appreciated locally as a sedan or CUV.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Altwegg View Post
    We are an OFW family but visit 1-2 times a year. Each visit is travel intensive in the sense that we hit the road all day everyday to visit friends, family, and attend events (good mix of urban and rural trips).

The upcoming tax increase has put us in a position where we are wanting to purchase a car of our own to keep for at least 15 years (all the cars in my family stay with us for 15 years at least).

The choices are down to the following, labelled the wife's choice as well:

HUSBAND: Mazda 6 wagon, Levorg
    WIFE: Forester base, Tucson

Our most common ground is the Forester, but I am not "feeling" this because the body is quite dated and I'd rather wait for the next one to come out --- by which time it may be too late.

The Tucson is something I can run with, but I have heard that it comes with many issues after the 5 year mark, issues that servicing will have a hard time addressing (true?).

Given that these models leave me and my wife at an impasse, can you recommend a few that tick these boxes:

1. Less than 2M
    2. Potentially timeless design -- won't look "old" in 10 years (I think the 06 Altis qualifies)
    3. Quality - won't have nagging mechanical issues assuming we service on time all the time, and take proper care of the vehicle

Would be great to hear your thoughts on this!
    my question to you is, what will the vehicle be iin between those visits of yours?
    if no one will take care of it, my suggestion is not to buy a car. instead, hire your vehicle of choice whenever you come home. that way, you will not be encumbered with the travails of registration and insurance, maintenance and repair, on a car that you will seldom use.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just some things to consider when buying:

1. When NEW (0-3 years of ownership), most of the defects or problems of the car will be addressed by the dealer as part of the car's warranty unless it's caused by the fault of the owner.

2. Keeping the car for 15 years requires you to invest a lot in the car's maintenance and repairs and would likely increase each year after the warranty expires since you can't factor in certain incidents which may require extraordinary repairs.

3. For me, the "safest" in terms of looks would be the current gen Forester. But, no one would be able to say the design would withstand the test of time since looks and tastes by consumers also change over time.

Best of luck in choosing your ride.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Buy a new wife and get the car that you want. Tough choice husband vs wife -- help us avoid marital dispute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    The husband makes the decision.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    15 years is a very long time. ditch your choices and get a Toyota.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast