New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    wala... as in wala. the car just suddenly lost power and stopped.
    Yikes! This is scary! I asked this coz my other car has already reached almost 140k in odometer reading and I haven't replaced its timing belt. I had it checked by Honda and they said that it could still hold but I should replace it as soon as I can. I think I should go to my trusted mechanic tomorrow and have it replaced before this happens to me and put a very deep hole in my pocket.hehe

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    Timing belts are usually maintenance free. Rule of thumb: when buying a car and there's no mention of timing belt replacement, have it replaced alongside drive belts (as well as the tensioner, cam seals, etc).
    The SA told me that I should've replaced it at 100k kms. What are the things that I still need to replace when changing timing belts? My SA only told me timing belt and tensioner bearing. I don't recall him telling me about cam seals.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Timing gears are the most ideal, since all they need is periodic alignment.

But between chains and belts, I personally prefer belts. Their built-in obsolescence makes a car owner exercise due diligence in replacing them at specific intervals. Much like engine oil, it pays to keep certain engine parts fresh.

Timing chains are more durable (they're largely safe from the effects of heat), but they're not indestructible, as they're prone to stretching over time. This can have adverse effects on camshaft timing. Some motorists rely too much on a timing chain's vaunted durability, when it should still be inspected periodically.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Timing gears are the most ideal, since all they need is periodic alignment.

But between chains and belts, I personally prefer belts. Their built-in obsolescence makes a car owner exercise due diligence in replacing them at specific intervals. Much like engine oil, it pays to keep certain engine parts fresh.

Timing chains are more durable (they're largely safe from the effects of heat), but they're not indestructible, as they're prone to stretching over time. This can have adverse effects on camshaft timing. Some motorists rely too much on a timing chain's vaunted durability, when it should still be inspected periodically.
    I couldn't agree with you more. Nothing is indestructible in a vehicle. Everything will undergo wear and tear overtime. But what do you think is more expensive to maintain? I know for timing belt, you would not touch it for at least 100k kms if you bought your car brand new and when you do, it would only cost less than 10k, as for my cars. I wonder what's for timing gear/chain?

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rna800 View Post
    The SA told me that I should've replaced it at 100k kms. What are the things that I still need to replace when changing timing belts? My SA only told me timing belt and tensioner bearing. I don't recall him telling me about cam seals.
    It all depends on the chassis and recommended service intervals and parts to replace. It's not mandatory, but it's one of those parts wherein since you're already there, might as well replace them while you're at it, to save on labor costs the next time you have to open it just for that small piece you forgot to replace, etc.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by s_quilicot View Post
    Those are the cam gears. They can be called timing gears because they also manipulate the timing, and they are gears, but technically, the "timing gears" we're referring to are the ones below those you've posted. Instead of being high up in the engine they're much lower, down to the harmonic balancer area where a timing belt/chain should be.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    It all depends on the chassis and recommended service intervals and parts to replace. It's not mandatory, but it's one of those parts wherein since you're already there, might as well replace them while you're at it, to save on labor costs the next time you have to open it just for that small piece you forgot to replace, etc.
    I see. Good point. I inquired awhile ago in Honda and they told me that it depends on the condition of those seals. They also told me about that camshaft and crankshaft seal. I guess I would tell them to replace those as well since I have a feeling that with it's mileage, it has already incurred wear and tear and maybe in a year, they would require me to replace them. Those only cost less than 300 each anyways. I just hope the serviceman who will do those is not a trainee especially when it comes to engine repair.hehe I have a not so good experience in the casa which a 2 inch nail wasn't seen when I told them that there's something wrong with my tire. I only got this paper with all checks in it. Good thing there is a good vulcanizing shop and there he saw that long nail. Sometimes I really don't trust the servicemen in the casa.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If you've got connections, they should be able to hook you up to the right people. Buy them lunch or something. You know, the works

Yep, exactly my point. It's only P300 but the labor would probably just as much or higher in a local mechanic (non casa). So hit two birds with one stone and just have it done. But check it first prior to doing so. If you have any signs that make it look bad (slight "dampness" or crack in the seal, etc) just go ahead and replace. If you feel confident in the car's service history, you can let it be for now.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Wow, that's a nice advice. I'm glad you brought that up. That saved me, if not money, time in going back there after what? less than a year just to have those seals replaced. A million thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Time belt vs time chain