New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberAdobo View Post
    Question ko lang sa mga galant experts here... I drive a 1994 galant VR4 A/T:

Everytime I would drive along the stretch of Roxas boulevard specially from buendia to edsa, my cars performance seemed weird, my speedometer is giving me a reading of 120 km/h, but it doesn't feel like I'm really going that fast. Could there be anything wrong with my car? The clutch or the transmission maybe? Or Could it be because the composition of the road in that stretch is different. I dont experience the same weird performance in any other stretch of road in metro manila.
    Probably the softer suspension. Plus, it could be the nicer and wider roads. The wider the lanes, the less apparent the speed is. My wife gets the same way.

My wife normally drives our 95 Ford Contour which has a sports suspension and a smaller/noisier V6. Whenever she drives the much bigger, more powerful, and quieter 06 Sonata, She'd speed up to get that "feeling" for the road. For her, 60 mph in the Contour feels like about 100 mph in the Sonata. I often had to remind her to slow down whenever she does 90 mph in a 60 mph zone..

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    But the strange thing though is the fact that I only experience that weird performance in that strip (buendia to edsa), but before I get to buendia it feels normal. I'm beginning to think that it might be some undiscovered magnetic force beneath that strip that is somehow repelling my car from the road thats why the speedometer is accurate, but the tires rarely touch the road thats why its really slow...(twilight zone background music)... lolz

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIR, the Galant SS (we had one) lose the ff. features to the V6:
    -No sideskirts
    -No power antenna
    -Tiny dash speakers (V6 had door speakers)
    -Smaller wheels
    -Manual HVAC (though AFAIK, even earlier V6's used manual Heating/ventilation, a/c)

The good news is the inline 4 of the Galant SS is easier to work on equating to lower labor costs. According to my friend with a V6, you had to tear apart the intake manifold to gain access to the spark plugs on one bank of the V6. Changing the timing belt was also very labor intensive [hence expensive].

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    I own a 94 galant VR V6 and my dad owns a 96 SS, for me mas malakas talaga hatak ng V6 compared to the SS. With fuel consumption naman, very minimal ang difference. Plus the VR model comes with more add-ons na wala sa SS, most notably yung digital ac controls.

Dont get me wrong, the SS is a nice car...very reliable din po ito. Pero powerwise sa V6 ako talaga.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I was going to say price but since you are buying 2nd hand it does not really matter now. The SS and V6 are probably in the same price range now.

Only reason I bought the SS back in '97 was it was priced about P100K lower. I'd definetely get the V6 if I was not price limited. V6 is the high end Galant variant then complete with sporty trim (skirts etc.), digital A/C controls, leather, plus of course the V6 engine.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Just try to look for a car that is preferably first owner and in cared for condition. If not, be prepared to spend around 30K to 100K to get the car in good condition. We just finished "refurbishing" our VR-V6 (which we owned since brand new in 1994), washover, fixed the suspension, changed the tires, HT wires, servo, t-belt, seals, etc... Now the car runs fresh and quiet again,120,000kms and 13 years after we got it... and we still have the original clutch on.

The ride is on the firm and bordering on thrashy at times when you go through bad roads; But the road feel is good.Be wary about the brakes though as the stock rotors of the Galant isnt that good and warps easily. Ours was replaced by the CASA several times under warranty until they got us a different rotor from Japan.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ako SS din yung gamit ko. Pro - easier to change your sparkplugs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Are there any Postives about the Galant Super Salon over the V6 Model?