New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Yan nga rin ang inaalala ko sir xto. What if your warranty expires and you want to have your CRDi equipped vehicle repaired outside the casa? Ano ang mangyayari, malamang di kakayanin ng kanto kanto talyer ang mga ganyan IMHO. With all its electronic thingamajigs. Ako I'd still prefer the old school non CRDi engines.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well... even if your regular kanto-kanto mechanic can't do it, in a few years, there will be quite a few mechanics outside the casa who can do it. There are already guys outside the casa who specialize in it (cue Dieseldude from the Injector HelpDesk...).

Nowadays, there are sando-shorts-slippers guys you can call on to fix your EFi engine... in the near future, it might be possible to do the same for CRDis. And as they become more common, injector prices should go down, and injector durability should go up.

CRDi isn't the be-all and end-all, though... a CRDi engine will not be more economical than a TDi engine with the same displacement and turbo... it'll just be more flexible in terms of power delivery and less polluting. I've driven a whole host of new CRDis and have been disappointed with how they compare, fuel economy wise, to my old 4JA1 Crosswind... but I do prefer to drive a CRDi over that old clunker.

It's priorities. CRDi penetration is greatest in the van and car market, where comfort and smoothness count more than cheapness of maintenance and utility. Regular non-CRDi engines will always have their place here... but there will come a time when emissions regulations will strangle most of these old-school diesels to death... sadly.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I can recall the CRDi engine has been here for quite some time, Isuzu Trooper I think was the 1st CRDi engine?

Nwei, one thing about progress is that you can't stop it.
    Dati, back in 2005 takot yung mga mechanics sa Banawe na galawin yung Sorento ko kasi pihikan daw yung makina and electrical, eh last year lang ultimo engine tuning and A/V setup pati kung saan nakalagay lahat ng mga wiring eh alam na nila. Same situationn rin with my Altis, New Gen Pajero.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Ang nakakainis lang, for what we perceive as limited improvement (for now), ang laki ng premium sa price. Possibly, they're waiting for inflation to catch up. Pero for now, the premium on the price is what's making me think twice! :sad:

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Ang sa akin lang, older port-injection turbodiesels won't necessarily go the way of the dodo as common-rail direct-injection turbodiesels become more popular, at least in terms of maintenance. I mean, in this age of fuel-injected gas engines, we still see a fair number of cars with carbureted engines and there's still a good number of mechanics who are old hands at curing carb/venturi icing and other carb woes.

As for the price premium, obviously not all of it goes to the newfangled engines; as mentioned you're getting a little more kit along with it. Call it their strategy of making CRDi more palatable to car buyers like you and me.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    ... By lowering the kit on what used to be a fully loaded injection diesel ... smart but it smacks of Angelica (Marimar) to me.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    I'd give CRDi five more years siguro before considering its viability for me, knowing the quality of local diesel fuel.

In the meantime, I'm sticking to my 4D56.
    +1 to this!

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    So far ok naman yung SF CRDi (July 2006). No problems, matipid, mabilis and tahimik.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

I am sticking with my TCI 4D56.....

The price premium for a CRDi variant is just too much for my budget/capacity...

5303:burp:

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GSTM9 View Post
    Aside from the obvious benefits of increased power and torque, does the CRDi really translate into fuel savings?

One can go on about the advantages power wise, but if you end up paying more for the fuel, it defeats the purpose of trying to economize in the first place.

I computed that for a CRDi to recover the higher investment cost over the TCi, one would have to drive for over 12 years or 230,000+km! (this assumes average of 50 km driven per day, or 18,000+ km per year, with TCi averaging 6.5kpl and CRDi 8kpl. The price difference is P300,000 and diesel cost is P38.50/liter).

Can Starex/Grand Starex owners validate these assumptions?

One last thing...the Grand Starex is much heavier than the Gen 3 Starex....expect that the fuel economy will suffer a bit more because of the added weight.
    I figured as much. Kaya nga Stavic ang kinuha ko eh. Korean CRDi pero based on 10-year old MB tech. Madami dami na marunong tumingin, at the same time tested na, kasing mura pa ng TDi but with more complete kit.

Kaya yata nagkaron ng Ex-Future Hyundai Starex 4th Gen Owners Club sa ibang thread eh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
TCi vs CRDi