New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Hi, my mom is looking for a new car(suv). I would appreciate your honest suggestions, we have no idea about cars.
    It would be our 1st purchase. Our budget is around 2.5M. My mom loves the white but dad loves black.
    We are 5 in the family. The car will be used for going trippings and daily drive. Will be driven by driver(mostly) or us.
    She wants to try driving but I think shes nervous.

1. ride/comfort (she dont want a bumpy ride)
    2. reasonable gas consumption
    3 functionality
    4. Good after sales support
    5. maintenance
    .... feel free to add other factors

Our purchase will be around last week of nov. or 1st week of dec. Hopefully we can get the unit for family trips.
    Thanks a lot

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Since 2.5M ang budget, i'd suggest that you creep away from the common. Hence, disregard the Fortuner, Montero and whatever SUV falls on its price range.

I believe that the BK sucked in terms of ride comfort. So, your mom might not want this.

I haven't read any reviews nor tested the new Explorer myself. But judging from its predecessor, it is a great car to have. Comfortable, impressive acceleration and if you're easy on the gas you're going to end up with (still) 1 figure consumption which is playing around 4-5km/L city, 6km/L highway. Hence, I believe that the new Explorer (excluding the good looks) will still be at par, if not better as the old one performed. And its price is very reasonable, too.

I would have suggested the Mazda CX-9 and the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, but I believe those fall beyond your price range already.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Mmm. mom's age is 50+... our budget is not more than 2.5m cant go higher... We saw the new explorer it looks good. The cx9 is also good. How about the supply? if we buy can we get the vehicle right away? How much does insurrance cost?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    I'd pick Prado.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Insurance should be around 60-80k, not quite sure.

The Explorer is much, much, much more comfortable and luxurious than the Fortuner and Montero Sport, but it's a gasoline V6, so don't expect any miracles in terms of economy.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Yeah, I was impressed with the new Explorer's styling too. Very different.

On the other hand, the CX-9 is also a joy to drive. And a stunner as well.

As regards to the supply, I believe they are readily available, I'm not so sure of this so you would want to make sure by calling their respective dealers.

Insurance cost? Hmmm. Probably nearing a hundred for a premium.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    our budget is not more than 2.5m. Thanks for the comments. All noted

Why not a Ford Escape as a more economical alternative for an Explorer?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rsa View Post
    Hi, my mom is looking for a new car(suv). I would appreciate your honest suggestions, we have no idea about cars.
    It would be our 1st purchase. Our budget is around 2.5M. My mom loves the white but dad loves black.
    We are 5 in the family. The car will be used for going trippings and daily drive. Will be driven by driver(mostly) or us.
    She wants to try driving but I think shes nervous.

1. ride/comfort (she dont want a bumpy ride)
    2. reasonable gas consumption
    3 functionality
    4. Good after sales support
    5. maintenance
    .... feel free to add other factors

Our purchase will be around last week of nov. or 1st week of dec. Hopefully we can get the unit for family trips.
    Thanks a lot

2011 Toyota Fortuner:
    Although Toyota claims an improved suspension for a more comfortable ride, it is still a bumpy SUV. Better, but not yet "there". "There" being the ride comfort level you get in a Montero Sport. Beyond the suspension change, this vehicle is mechanically the same, meaning fuel consumption should be the same as older fortuner units.

2011 Mitsubishi Montero Sport:
    The ride is comfy but slightly bouncy at higher speeds (exceeding 100kph) on uneven roads. The new 2.5T engine feels somewhat slow to accelerate but actual acceleration numbers say the opposite, it's faster than the Fortuner. Maybe it's the smoother power delivery from the variable turbo engine. As for fuel consumption, with a smaller diesel engine, expect a slight improvement in fuel consumption.

2012 Ford Explorer:
    The ride reminds me of a smaller Ford Expedition, quite comfortable to drive and very quick to accelerate (for a vehicle with this amount of mass), faster than the Montero Sport. Ford claims the 3.5L V6 gasoline engine is fuel efficient, but with stop-go traffic in Metro Manila, I doubt if you can get beyond 5km/L... but once you hit the highways, it should greatly improve. The amount of luxury and gadgets in this vehicle is more than worth it's P2.4M price tag. This SUV can be a two or three row SUV. The 3rd row seats folds up/down with a press of a button, nice trick to impress people around you and also makes it much easier for us as well. Plus the 3rd row seats are comfortable enough for two full sized adults with actual legroom. My only major complaint is the vehicle touch screen control. AC, radio, etc are controlled through it and it's very confusing to use. It actually makes the effort of turn something on/off a major effort in trying to understand how it's done.

IMHO, from the three listed above, you're best choice would be the Mitsubishi Montero Sport and then followed by the Ford Explorer. Although the Ford Explorer is a much better vehicle, it's much higher price tag and higher fuel bill makes it a lesser choice.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; November 20th, 2011 at 12:24 PM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    I see... the cx9 is out of the budget thou we can add we will use the money for other things... Suppose we get the explorer is therw discounts? free items? availability? maintenance cost???

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
SUV: Explorer vs Montero vs Pajero vs fort vs others