New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Kung kaya niyo, go for a Legacy (Sedan/Wagon) or yung Legacy Outback.

It feels more rewarding (in a class of its own)

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Congrats to the STI owner! Always get the best version! It would be hard to sell a non-sti wrx anyways! and you will always wonder how it would feel like to drive the real thing

To Karding and tsikot peeps,

aside from lowering, what advantages does a coil-over spring have over my stockers? it'll corner better but will piss off my wife right?

thanks

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by bad driver View Post
    Congrats to the STI owner! Always get the best version! It would be hard to sell a non-sti wrx anyways! and you will always wonder how it would feel like to drive the real thing

To Karding and tsikot peeps,

aside from lowering, what advantages does a coil-over spring have over my stockers? it'll corner better but will piss off my wife right?

thanks
    bad driver, piss off your wife? coil-over is actually better because you can set the damper to softer settings when driving with the wife. if you are by yourself and do some spirited driving, set it to a stiffer settings.

first, I should have been more specific, its the full coil-over with adjustable damper settings. Most mid-to-high end coil-over has this feature. the adjustable damper is what you want from a coil-over suspension (not spring). which means, you can adjust how stiff or soft your suspension would be. dont confuse it with sleeve-over suspension.

I've had TEIN SS, but Tanabe TEAS sounds good. TEAS is electronic adjustable. Unlike conventional coil-over, the damper setting needs to be adjusted manually by turning a knob on the strut top itself. Whereas on the electronic version, you can adjust it from the driver seat. TEAS is similar to EDFS. However, TEAS took a step further by incorporating an "active" damper settings.

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/coilovers/teas.asp

http://www.tein.com/flexdamp.html plus http://www.tein.com/edfc.html

bad driver, there's a thread somewhere with comprehensive explanation and comparisons of sleeve-over, coil-over, and springs set-up. Im gonna stop know before the OT-ness gets worst.

sorry for the OT

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    haha... thanks a lot! sorry for the OT

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Don't know about you, but for a street car the local WRX feels a lot better than the local STi. I'm guessing it's the tires, but the WRX is a lot comfier and quieter.

Another thing I don't like about the STi is the narrow powerband. The US and EUDM engine uses a push-bearing type turbo, so even if the block is 2.5li, spool comes pretty late, around about 3-3.5k rpm. Couple that with the lower 7k rpm redline, and all of a sudden that close-ratio 6-speed tranny doesn't sound like such a good idea. IIRC the ratios were designed with the JDM engine's twin-scroll turbo and 8k rpm redline in mind, and they just don't seem to be that well matched to the US/EUDM's 7k redline and slow turbo.

And yes, i've driven both cars. I have the current WRX, was going to put money down on an STi but after having driven it and compared back-to-back with the JDM variant I'm not too sure anymore. I might go for a JDM spec-c instead.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    Don't know about you, but for a street car the local WRX feels a lot better than the local STi. I'm guessing it's the tires, but the WRX is a lot comfier and quieter.

Another thing I don't like about the STi is the narrow powerband. The US and EUDM engine uses a push-bearing type turbo, so even if the block is 2.5li, spool comes pretty late, around about 3-3.5k rpm. Couple that with the lower 7k rpm redline, and all of a sudden that close-ratio 6-speed tranny doesn't sound like such a good idea. IIRC the ratios were designed with the JDM engine's twin-scroll turbo and 8k rpm redline in mind, and they just don't seem to be that well matched to the US/EUDM's 7k redline and slow turbo.

And yes, i've driven both cars. I have the current WRX, was going to put money down on an STi but after having driven it and compared back-to-back with the JDM variant I'm not too sure anymore. I might go for a JDM spec-c instead.

did you get your WRX from Motorimage?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post

You own a WRX i have an STi we definitely have very diffirent opinions. Though we both own imprezas which in my opinion is the most fun to drive car i have ever driven ever.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yuichi View Post
    did you get your WRX from Motorimage?
    Yup. I got the car this January.

I also have an evo which takes care of "fast" duties. Been using the WRX as a daily drive.
    Shopping for another car so I can retire the evo already, 2.5li STi na sana but like I said I wasn't happy with the car's powerband and gearing. Hopefully the spec-c will do that once I get to drive it.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Aside from the engine, what are the differences in features between the STi and WRX?

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    You own a WRX i have an STi we definitely have very diffirent opinions. Though we both own imprezas which in my opinion is the most fun to drive car i have ever driven ever.

how's their(motorimage) aftersales service?
    i really wanted one, but still tossing between the STi or WRX, but leaning towards the Rex for its more humane ride.
    i really like the STi, but its harsh ride might defeat its purpose as a daily car due to the soft and very good ride of my Santa Fe, baka magsisi ako.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subaru Impreza wrx or wrx sti?