New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Hi Guys,

This is a spin-off of the original thread I made a few weeks back:

http://tsikot.com/forums/car-compari...x2-gas-101042/

However, after countless test drives and dealer visits I've decided to increase my budget to 1.25M and has narrowed down my choices between the Forester & XV (both base model)

While they are almost similar (same engine), after test-driving both, there are certain trade-offs:

1. XV has a more comfortable ride compared to Forester's bumpiness especially felt in the rear (wife felt dizzy).
    2. Forester has bigger interior space especially in the rear seats while the XV felt cramped having 3 persons at the back.
    3. The Forester has HID lights while the XV has paddle shift.
    4. The XV is cheaper by 60k, has more "available" color options and the mags are the same as with the premium (good-looking ones).
    5. The Forester may be slightly more expensive, but there's no denying the "sulit" factor in terms of space and features. But I'm now limited to just 1 color availability (Marine Blue) and has to settle with it's underwhelming stock mags.

I need to decide before this week ends as it's a company car plan.

I would appreciate your invaluable inputs and advice!

Thanks so much Tsikoteers!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Forester is just 1.25M? Get the Forester, your family will grow and you'll need the space. It's also safer.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    +1 on the Forester

You can't upgrade the space on the XV but you can upgrade to bigger wheels on the Forester.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

+1 on the Forester

You can't upgrade the space on the XV but you can upgrade to bigger wheels on the Forester.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Haven't ridden any Subaru but from the outside I see the Forester as more brute.
    Vote also goes to the Forester.
    =)

5. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Forester is just 1.25M? Get the Forester, your family will grow and you'll need the space. It's also safer.
    Yup! The 2014 base model is currently heavily-discounted at 140k, which made me re-consider my stand on stretching my budget.

It's just the bumpy ride that bothers me.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    +1 on the Forester

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

+1 on the Forester

Agree. Actually, I asked if I can upgrade the mags similar to the premium and according to MI I can "buy it" (not trade the stock) for 70k.

However, the warranty will be voided, not sure as to what extent as they're unsure.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dos2 View Post
    Haven't ridden any Subaru but from the outside I see the Forester as more brute.
    Vote also goes to the Forester.
    =)
    It would've been an easier decision to me if not for the bumpy ride which my wife complains about (though the larger space is swaying her back).

Also on the downside, I'm stuck with the only available color left which is the Marine Blue. I would've wanted a Satin White Pearl (for added safety at night) which the base XV currently have.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Some dealers don't check the tire pressure of the cars from their lot. It is a common experience from Tsikot members who found that the test cars they drove or the cars they got from the dealer have tire pressures above 40 psi when most recommended pressure is just below 35 psi.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Guilder View Post
    Agree. Actually, I asked if I can upgrade the mags similar to the premium and according to MI I can "buy it" (not trade the stock) for 70k.

However, the warranty will be voided, not sure as to what extent as they're unsure.
    That's BS marketing. The premium model is the same as the base model but has the extra features of the XT model with the exception of the turbo engine. You might as well go aftermarket as 70k can get you 19" or 20" wheels plus tires or buy them from Premium/XT owners who upgraded their wheels. Somebody wrote before that MI is one dealer that is not too stringent on voiding suspension warranty with the use of aftermarket wheels & tires as there are a lot of Subie owners who go the upgrade route after getting their vehicles.
    Last edited by Egan101; May 18th, 2015 at 12:50 PM.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Some dealers don't check the tire pressure of the cars from their lot. It is a common experience from Tsikot members who found that the test cars they drove or the cars they got from the dealer have tire pressures above 40 psi when most recommended pressure is just below 35 psi.
    Good point. Actually I asked the SA when I test driven the Forester and he said it's at 30 psi. Not sure if he's correct as there was no way for me to validate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast