New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Yes. But on the race track, what matters is how suited the gears are to the track configuration, not simple 0-100 km/h numbers. Which is why a car with a better spread of ratios and a better torque band will be faster around the racetrack.
    True. But the game I'm modding right now isn't a racing game. And I just stick to stock gear ratios which can be inputted in the car's physics. The physics allows you to input horsepower, what rpm peak power is reached, torque, what rpm it's reached, redline, gear ratios.. and that's pretty much it for the real life stuff. There's an acceleration tab where you manually input how fast it goes (higher number = greater acceleration), and "gear inertia" which just fiddles with how fast the revs climb up, and "drag", which is far from real life drag coefficients, but functions the same way, higher drag, lower top speed.

As for DSG transmissions, for the focused ones, perhaps a manual would shift quicker. But the thing is, computers shift much more consistently than humans. And if for example it was my grandmother testing a manual and a DSG, chances are the DSG would have quicker times.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    True. But the game I'm modding right now isn't a racing game. And I just stick to stock gear ratios which can be inputted in the car's physics. The physics allows you to input horsepower, what rpm peak power is reached, torque, what rpm it's reached, redline, gear ratios.. and that's pretty much it for the real life stuff. There's an acceleration tab where you manually input how fast it goes (higher number = greater acceleration), and "gear inertia" which just fiddles with how fast the revs climb up, and "drag", which is far from real life drag coefficients, but functions the same way, higher drag, lower top speed.

As for DSG transmissions, for the focused ones, perhaps a manual would shift quicker. But the thing is, computers shift much more consistently than humans. And if for example it was my grandmother testing a manual and a DSG, chances are the DSG would have quicker times.
    There's no doubt a computer can shift faster than a human.

The balancing point (for drag-racing) is how much weight penalty you have to sacrifice for the fancy box versus how much power you have. As the ratio of power to weight difference gets higher, the penalties mean less, and the consistent shifting time becomes more important.

That's why drag racing automatic economy cars sucks... but professional drag racers use automatic transmissions (albeit with manual controls).

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    You can't expect a 1:1 correlation between a video game and real life. Factors such as air pressure, wind speed and direction, ambient temperature, coefficient of friction of the track, track temperature, tire pressure, coolant temperature, fuel level, driver weight, etcetera... make most 0-100 km/h times suggestive rather than definitive. I can get a 0-100 km/h time that's 3/10ths faster simply by finding a road that's slightly downhill.... or by driving on an empty tank... or by finding a launch pad with better grip.
    These factors are precisely why I think a 0-100 km/h time by itself is woefully incomplete as a performance benchmark. Short of drag racers, how often does one get to 0-100 km/h anyway? It has to be said, it's also very brutal on a car's componentry.

A far more relevant test without straying too far from 0-100? Do 0-160-0 km/h. Autocar UK has been doing that test for years, and it's quite useful because they also test max braking power - far more important.

Even more relevant in real-life situations is in-gear acceleration testing. Pick a gear, accelerate from 80-120 km/h, then repeat for all other applicable gears (usually first gear is out of the question). This test is great for showing off an engine's flexibility.
    Maybe you're talking about American times? Because a 0-60 mph time is actually 0-96 km/h. And that's a lot shorter than a 0-100 km/h time.
    0-100 km/h actually equates to 0-62 mph - FYI.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup. When I test cars now, I've set one of the custom ranges on the V-Box to 0-96 to simulate a 0-60.

So I do both 0-60 and 0-62 mph in one go. I also quote 60-100 km/h, as a measure of passing power. Maybe I should have matched passing tests with C&D, but it's too late now... and "48-80 km/h" and "80-112 km/h" tests won't matter as much to Pinoys. I picked 60 and 100 because 60 is the legal minimum on the highway and 100 the legal maximum... though some diesels have trouble accelerating between 80-100.

The difference for 10-second cars is around 1 - 1.5 seconds. For faster cars (in the 5-6 second range), it's a bit lower... but again, it all depends on where that shift point between 2nd and 3rd (or, if you're a Corvette owner, 1st and 2nd) occurs.

Autocar's 0-160-0 test is a test of pure power and braking, but it still relies on driver variables such as launch ability and threshold braking.

Hmmm... just thinking... If you want to replicate real-life performance in a videogame, try to match trap speeds. In this way, you eliminate the variability factor of a good/poor launch. No matter how bad the launch, trap speeds remain fairly constant, to within a few kilometers an hour.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    sorry ot:

how about the dual clutch in an EVO X TC-SST? same lang ba yung dual clutch at twin clutch? how would it be compared to the dual clutch of the TDCI ford?

*sir niky T., pwede ko po ba mahingi yung link ng review niyo about the evo x? cant find it anymore.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aejhayl17 View Post
    sorry ot:

how about the dual clutch in an EVO X TC-SST? same lang ba yung dual clutch at twin clutch? how would it be compared to the dual clutch of the TDCI ford?

*sir niky T., pwede ko po ba mahingi yung link ng review niyo about the evo x? cant find it anymore.
    Yes, it's the same thing.

Haven't reviewed the EVO X yet. If you know someone willing to lend one for a week, no questions asked, I'd be happy to.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Yes, it's the same thing.

Haven't reviewed the EVO X yet. If you know someone willing to lend one for a week, no questions asked, I'd be happy to.
    im willing, pagnanalo na ko sa lotto.

sorry, i thought you and niky Tamayo is the same person. ive seen that review from the bigbigcar, but di ko lang nabasa kase may ginagawa ako noon sir.

sorry ot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sub-compacts faster than Compacts?