New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Good day guys, I'am planning to get my new car. A car that serves my purpose of being able to carry good loads of boxes and one that I can use when attending important meetings at the same time. In short, yung maganda pero maraming maikakarga with my current budget of 800K to 880K.

After days of test-driving and reading forums, 3 cars fitted my requirements, they are:

1. Mitsubishi Strada 4.2 GL
    2. Toyota Innova J Diesel
    3. Suzuki APV SGX

These cars have its ups and downs on my preferences.

1. Mitsubishi Stada 4.2 GL
    - Good looking but the metal mags kills everything.
    - Is it power windows and lock?
    - No airbags?
    - Buying candies and chocolates will be limited bacause it will melt at the back. Unless there a carryboy thing to bover the back?

2. Toyota Innova J
    - Good Brand Toyota
    - Basic. By basic means, pawis windows an pawis side mirror

3. Suzuki APV SGX
    - Top of the line of Suzuki
    - I heard that spare parts are expensive
    - can carry more items but the 1.6 power might be poor when loads are heavy
    - Space are narrower

Here are my scents on the cars. I got really great inputs from Tsikot and I'm excited on reading your comments.

This will greatly affect my decision.

Thanks

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jots18 View Post
    Good day guys, I'am planning to get my new car. A car that serves my purpose of being able to carry good loads of boxes and one that I can use when attending important meetings at the same time. In short, yung maganda pero maraming maikakarga with my current budget of 800K to 880K.

After days of test-driving and reading forums, 3 cars fitted my requirements, they are:

1. Mitsubishi Strada 4.2 GL
    2. Toyota Innova J Diesel
    3. Suzuki APV SGX

These cars have its ups and downs on my preferences.

1. Mitsubishi Stada 4.2 GL
    - Good looking but the metal mags kills everything.
    - Is it power windows and lock?
    - No airbags?
    - Buying candies and chocolates will be limited bacause it will melt at the back. Unless there a carryboy thing to bover the back?

2. Toyota Innova J
    - Good Brand Toyota
    - Basic. By basic means, pawis windows an pawis side mirror

3. Suzuki APV SGX
    - Top of the line of Suzuki
    - I heard that spare parts are expensive
    - can carry more items but the 1.6 power might be poor when loads are heavy
    - Space are narrower

Here are my scents on the cars. I got really great inputs from Tsikot and I'm excited on reading your comments.

This will greatly affect my decision.

Thanks
    (1) Strada GL: the "trusted" engine with a little upgrades, 4D56, the same engine that powers L300 since the 80s (until now) and the 1st and 2nd generation Pajero to name a few kaya sigurado kayo sa engine parts. it's a bare-model, very basic one, but it already has power amenities like power window and power steering. medyo eye sore nga lang talaga yung steel wheels, but that's the basic role of a light lorry: cargo hauling and over-all utility vehicle.

(2) Innova J: sir... gas or diesel? when it comes to the interior, it's a no-fuzz car. it also has power steering but the windows are power as well... man-power it is! :D cargo space is not that big and at times, as an innova owner, i feel that my eyes somehow deceived me with this aspect. i'm not against innova, it's just that that 3rd row seat when folded, eats-up a lot of space at the back. the gas would be a good people hauler but the diesel would win on the utility-purpose aspect.

(3) Suzuki APV: i'd rather get the Toyota Avanza 1.5 G for the reason that they have this "cute engine" and a quite sluggish performance with such a body. just try to look at the Suzuki Swift, and slam its engine on a sub-compact minivan. isipin niyo na lang po, nung 90s, ganito ang toyota with their Lite-ace van. small engine, big body, as a result, over-worked engine, and the consumption... parang 2.0 liter car dahil sa laki ng binubuhat ng maliit na makina. parang "bakit innova j ang 2nd choice niyo instead of avanza g para i-compare sa suzuke apv?" but in fairness, pagdating sa comfort, pinaka-panalo ang interior ng APV & Avanza sa budget niyo being top-of-the-line units for that price.

would you like to consider the base model of nissan grand livina for this segment? its price belongs to the same category as well and it has a 6-speed manual transmission.

btw, have you seen any of your candidates on their show-rooms? para po kayo mismo ang maka-tingin ng loob, labas, at mechanical attributes ng mga pinagpipilian niyo.

:D

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I see. Would you mind getting second hand units? You may want to consider the 2nd gen Ford Everest. Tough as nails SUV with pretty good engine performance, excellent off road and deep water fording capabilities and since the Ranger/BT50 is an excellent drifter, this one surely has excellent handling as well. And then, its also more presentable than a base MPV or pickup which look like company service vehicles in comparison.

Strada GL- Since you're looking at the base model, it is a very basic and rugged vehicle. Engine performance is fine especially if you are getting the VGT version already, and so is the turning radius which is top rate for a pickup. Its also quite spacious inside, for a pickup that is.

Innova 2.5J- Since it uses the Hilux's underpinnings, its definitely sturdy as well. The D4D engine is known for being powerful and fuel efficient in this application. Its better than the Strada in the sense that it seats three more people (rather tightly of course), but its even more bare as it doesn't even have power amenities!

Suzuki APV- Like anything else made by Suzuki, this is definitely one tough small car. Its just that it probably doesn't have much loading space for your stuff and even if it does, the engine might be huffing and puffing to drag everything considering that its only a 90hp gasoline unit which doesn't have much torque either.

Avanza 1.5G- Its so small! Its got more power than the Avanza (around 20hp more) but seating seven is quite a squeeze and you definitely wouldn't have any space left for anything else if you do so. And if I were you I wouldn't be loading lots of stuff on this one... Have mercy on the poor thing!

If you haul a lot, I suggest you consider the Crosswind XTi as well.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    since you considered the APV.. how about the Avanza G, top of the line.. either matic or manual.. can sit 7 like the innova J but with power windows, power mirrors, abs, 2 airbags, alloy wheels, fog lights.. better 3rd row seating space than Innova.. pag naka fold din ang 3rd row kasya balikbayan box.. sa innova hassle yung side folding jump seats.. Avanza is not that big too.. so walang problema sa parking and traffic etc... cheap parts.. cheap maintenance.. medyo malakas lang sa gas pag city driving yung matic.. pero kung hindi ma trapik route nyo.. the matic can get 10 to 11kms per liter..

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    thanks for the advice guys, i've also looked at Avanza and one thing that strikes me the most is the folding seats. Not much use on space because they don't combine to form a large one space. Never been a Nissan Fan.

What I'm thinking right now is get the Strada and put canopy so to increase space and from time to time, passenger capacity. I will then just change the wheels next few months.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jots18 View Post
    thanks for the advice guys, i've also looked at Avanza and one thing that strikes me the most is the folding seats. Not much use on space because they don't combine to form a large one space. Never been a Nissan Fan.

What I'm thinking right now is get the Strada and put canopy so to increase space and from time to time, passenger capacity. I will then just change the wheels next few months.
    afaik changing the rims would void the warranty for the mere reason that you did not purchase it on-the-spot. kung ayaw niyo pong ma-void ang warranty, better buy the replacement rims on the dealer, which will damage your pocket, or wait for 3 years before doing so. same thing with the canopy if you are not sourcing it from the dealership. no wonder why on other threads, a lot of tsikoteers are labeling the dealership as "stealership."

i'm not a fanatic of a certain brand but there are times when the "previously unconsidered contender" might be the one that you are looking for.