New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Hi Guys,

I am planning to purchase 1 unit of either Starex model 2002-2003 or brand new Toyota Innova, (both manual transmission) when i get back home.

Guys, I need your help (input) with respect to the following points so as to complete my study which one to purchase Starex 2002-2003 or Innova 2005:

aa). Ground Vertical Clearance (Bottom of tire to lowest part of underchassis). - my placed is bumpy road.

bb). Fuel Consumption (City and Highway driving) - How many kilometers it can travel per one liter of diesel?

cc). Spare Parts Cost. Which one is cheaper.

dd). Exterior and Interior Looks which one looks beautiful?

ee). Which one is spacious or roomy or bigger leg room?

ff). Starex or Innova do have softier ride.

gg). Is it true that 2003 Starex would have none of the rustproofing and air-conditioning problems of earlier editions?

hh). Is it true that 2003 Starex rustproofing warranty runs for three years, and the van comes with an “improved, heavy-duty air conditioning
    system?

ii). What is the Starex model that incorporate an air intake opening at the left side of engine hood (driver facing the road) is it 2002?

kk). Starex 2002-2003 Mileage Warranty is it 100,000 kilometers for a total of 3 years?

ll). Can anybody send me a soft/electronic copy of model 2002-2003 Starex Service (O&M) Manual?

mm). what are the pointers to look up when buying 2nd hand Starex?

Hoping to hear from you Guys and Thank you in advance.

Cheers for now,

Phillip Robert Garin
    phillip.garin*dolphinenergy.com

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hello!

a.) I'm not sure which one has the higher stance, but I can safely say that both of these vans have pretty good ground clearance. Bumpy roads won't be a problem with either of them.

b.) I'm not sure, but my money is on the Innova.

c.) The Innova.

d.) I like the Innova's styling better.

e.) Not sure.

f.) Not sure.

g.) Not sure.

h.) Not sure.

i.) Not sure

j.) *not listed*

k.) I think so.

l.) Hehe, maybe the other guys can.

m.) Bring a good and trusted mechanic with you.

My suggestion is that you go with the Innova.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    buy innova, brand new pa.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    aa). Ground Vertical Clearance (Bottom of tire to lowest part of underchassis).
    guestimate - almost the same.

The Starex has been around for a while already - which means more that ther are already replacement / surplus (in short - cheap) parts in Banawe.

The Starex!!! No AUV will come close to it.

ff). Starex or Innova do have softier ride.
    The former.

gg). Is it true that 2003 Starex would have none of the rustproofing and air-conditioning problems of earlier editions?
    Yup - since only grey market imports (which are not tropicalized) suffered from this.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    aa). Ground Vertical Clearance (Bottom of tire to lowest part of underchassis). - not much difference but the Innova will probably have an edge

bb). Fuel Consumption (City and Highway driving) - Innova diesel can do at least 8km/L from what i know; Starex will do around 7-7.5 in the city (auto tranny). The Innova will have definitely the better fuel economy due to the more powerful engine coupled with the lighter body

cc). Spare Parts Cost. Which one is cheaper. - Starex

dd). Exterior and Interior Looks which one looks beautiful? - Depends on the eye of the beholder.

ee). Which one is spacious or roomy or bigger leg room? - Starex. The Innova is usually good only for 4-5 adult pax plus their luggage.

ff). Starex or Innova do have softier ride. - Starex

gg). Is it true that 2003 Starex would have none of the rustproofing and air-conditioning problems of earlier editions? - True, the 2000 model and up Starex vehicles already addressed the earlier rusting problems and stuff.

hh). Is it true that 2003 Starex rustproofing warranty runs for three years, and the van comes with an “improved, heavy-duty air conditioning
    system? - Not sure. Our locally purchased Starex has a strong AC though.

ii). What is the Starex model that incorporate an air intake opening at the left side of engine hood (driver facing the road) is it 2002? - 1999-2003 Intercooler model.

kk). Starex 2002-2003 Mileage Warranty is it 100,000 kilometers for a total of 3 years? - If it's locally purchased through the authorized HARI dealer

ll). Can anybody send me a soft/electronic copy of model 2002-2003 Starex Service (O&M) Manual?

- Check the underchassis (bring it up on lifter in a gas station) to check for leaks and suspension damages.
    - emissions (Starex doesnt have a problem with emissions so if it has medium to excessive smoke, it has not been maintained well)
    - Interior rattles
    - Get one from a direct seller over a buy-and-sell if possible
    - Try to test the car in the morning, hopelfully with the engine still cold from the night before and observe if its hard starting, etc... most fuel injection and starting problems shows itself when the engine is cold.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    I find the Innova at a distinct disadvantage because of its swing out doors -- it's kinda difficult to access the third seat whereas the Starex, with its sliding door proves very adept at that.

I never buy brand new. I let others pay for the depreciation, and then I get the vehicle. But then again, that's just me.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    aa). Ground Vertical Clearance = almost the same

bb). Fuel Consumption (City and Highway driving) - almost the same my starex city driving 8 -10 hi-way 10-12 well maintained.

cc). Spare Parts Cost. Which one is cheaper. starex

dd). Exterior and Interior Looks which one looks beautiful? starex looks luxurious

ee). Which one is spacious or roomy or bigger leg room? starex

ff). Starex or Innova do have softier ride. starex

gg). Is it true that 2003 Starex would have none of the rustproofing and air-conditioning problems of earlier editions? 1999 -2003 no problem

system? ??????

ii). What is the Starex model that incorporate an air intake opening at the left side of engine hood (driver facing the road) is it 2002? i think 1999 - 2003

kk). Starex 2002-2003 Mileage Warranty is it 100,000 kilometers for a total of 3 years? i bought a starex at grey market meaning in was imported directly from korea. U better buy the 2004 and up with crdi engine.

underchassis, interior and exterior, radiator, ignition

Phillip Robert Garin
    phillip.garin*dolphinenergy.com[/quote]

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robert View Post
    aa). Ground Vertical Clearance (Bottom of tire to lowest part of underchassis). - my placed is bumpy road.
    I've already ridden in a Starex Club wagon, and personally I feel vastly more confident in a Starex in terms of ground clearance.

Since the Starex is a platform twin of the Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear, I suppose you get more options with regards to spare parts sourcing. Especially where the engine is concerned since, IIRC, the 2002-2003 Starex powerplant is based on Mitsubishi's 4D56 diesel engine. Mas madaling hanapan ng piyesa, at kabisado na ng mga mekaniko.

dd). Exterior and Interior Looks which one looks beautiful?
    Subjective ito syempre, but I'd go with the Starex over the Innova's "dugong on wheels" shape.

Definitely Starex. Besides, IIRC, Starex units come standard with fire extinguishers, in accordance with Korean vehicle regulations, so there's extra peace of mind.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; March 14th, 2007 at 07:36 PM.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    I vote for Innova.

aa). Ground Vertical Clearance = almost the same

cc). Spare Parts Cost. Which one is cheaper. starex but you better think of its reliability issues.

ff). Starex or Innova do have softier ride. starex kasi mas mabigat

underchassis, interior and exterior, radiator, ignition -Don't buy second hand starex unless you're sure to spend a lot of time repairing it

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    ano na kaya ang nabili ng thread starter?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Starex and Toyota Innova