New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    nakaka pang hinayang din kasi pa gamit yung starex sa office eh mas maganda kasi talaga yung loob compared to grandia, at least yung grandia yung itchura nya ok lang laspagin.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Kung hindi mo naman ibebenta yan company car niyo better take the Hyundai... I prefer the hyundai brand when it comes to diesel engines rather than toyotas sobrang layo ng dalawa. The only advantage you can get from toyota is the cost of its parts sobrang mura e. pero base sa performance its hyundai all the way.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Kapag top of the line ang pinipili, Starex talaga hands down. Pero since company car ito at base model ang kukunin, I'd suggest the Hiace Commuter. Para sa base model, OK na ang Commuter since may CRDi engine na yan di tulad ng Starex na TCI parin (102hp/260Nm vs. 101hp/232Nm respectively). Di pa ako nakasakay ng Starex na TCI pero nakasakay na ako ng Hiace Commuter ng Tagaytay Highlands na ginagawa nilang service vehicle. Ang tulin ng makina! Parang wala lang ang mga inclines ng Highlands, nakaabot pa ng 80-100! Since Innova engine gamit nun, hindi naman siya maingay sobra. The seats are OK naman, di naman siya ganun ka sikip. Baka ang sinasabing maingay at masikip yung previous generation Hiace Commuter na ganun talaga mahina pa aircon at makina. Sure ako mas maganda suspension setup ng Starex, pero since pang shuttle service lang to, does it really matter?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Starex TCi has more than enough "get-up-and-go". The Hiace Commuter has more low-down torque because of the big engine, and it feels lighter, but the Starex isn't slow... probably just a tick slower than the old GRX Starex with the CRDi.

Note: the TCi is electronically controlled, even if it's not CRDi, so power isn't really an issue.

The TCi is almost as stiff as the Hiace, but seat space is much better. We have a Commuter service for the school (D4D), and they fit too many benches in the back. The back rests are short, so they can fit lots of people, and the benches are low. Serviceable for short trips, but not comfortable... not unless you're sat beside the driver or in the very first row in the back, with the extra leg-room this confers.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    the starex TCI and hiace commuter has the same size engine. 2.5.. the CRDI engine on the toyota commuter gives it lots of torgue.. and the weight difference between the two is very noticable when you are driving..

and starex parts are very cheap.. just dont buy the parts at CASA.. but go to Good Gear and you will see the friendly prices.. even Hyundai CASA gets their parts from Good Gear..

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    BTW, who are the ones who will be usually riding the van? Are they ordinary company employees or VIPs? IMO for a company service vehicle, price and efficiency is most important, the Hiace Commuter costs about 50k less than the base Starex, seats 3 more people albeit less comfortably and has slightly more power. The Starex might be more suitable, though, for VIP transport due to the better accomodations. On a side note, I can't imagine how the TCi Starex can be almost as powerful as the old GRX CRDi, considering the 40+ hp difference, the fact that they have the same transmission and the additional weight burden on the Grand Starex.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    mostly company managers and supervisors, also some times i'll use it pag tinamad mag drive. that's why we decided to get the gl grandia instead of the commuter. bukas na lalabas yung unit kulay silver, sayang walang black tagal pa daw bago mag karon, we're lucky enough na may stock sila ng siver na gl grandia so pina reserve ko na agad nung dumalaw ako sa toyota. anyway i went to hyundai again this morning para i check ulit starex and the SA gave me a pretty good deal on the base model, free lto, cm, insurance, tint, seat cover, matting and 10k off. kaso even though i'm the boss of our company, final decision parin erpat ko siya kasi ang boss ko. we use to have a starex and liked it kaso, erpat said grandia na lang daw para maiba naman.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I see... I find the GL Grandia to be too wide for my taste, besides seating only 11, which I find too few for such a large van. And I feel, for its size compared to the Commuter, it should merit an engine upgrade already. Some minor gripes I have with it is the lack of dual sliding doors and the fact that it still uses hubcaps. For me the sweet spot of Hiace ownership is still the Commuter variant, the lack of a more powerful engine, creature features and option for bigger seating capacity for the higher variants breaks the deal for me, especially since they sell it almost neck to neck with the Starex in terms of pricing. If you're willing to shell out this much, I say go all out get the Starex CRDi, If so gray market dealers in Greenhills might give you better deals compared to HARI.

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    mostly company managers and supervisors, also some times i'll use it pag tinamad mag drive. that's why we decided to get the gl grandia instead of the commuter. bukas na lalabas yung unit kulay silver, sayang walang black tagal pa daw bago mag karon, we're lucky enough na may stock sila ng siver na gl grandia so pina reserve ko na agad nung dumalaw ako sa toyota. anyway i went to hyundai again this morning para i check ulit starex and the SA gave me a pretty good deal on the base model, free lto, cm, insurance, tint, seat cover, matting and 10k off. kaso even though i'm the boss of our company, final decision parin erpat ko siya kasi ang boss ko. we use to have a starex and liked it kaso, erpat said grandia na lang daw para maiba naman.
    just tell your dad not to sit in the back seat of the Grandia. or he will be mad at you for not forcing him to get the grand starex. hehehe.. there is no ride comfort on the grandia..

and you mentioned that you used to own a starex..you will really feel the difference in ride quality.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Syempre. Leaf springs kasi ang GL Grandia. Coil springs naman sa Grand Starex. Malayo talaga ang ride quality. Kung iniisip mo ang kapakanan ng passengers, mag Starex ka.

Anyway, nakapag decide na kayo. Kahit alin naman ang kunin niyo, sa tingin ko hindi naman kayo mag-sisisi. Ganda ng deal na nakuha mo sa GL Grandia. Dami freebies

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Starex or Hiace?