New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Agree,- there is no need to reinvent the wheel when the technology is available, and the experts are willing to transfer.

Also, take full advantage of the expertise and resources of the subcontractors; while retaining your core competencies in the company.

And equally important,- feel the force and align yourself with the reality of globalization......

[I do not have any brand loyalty. Our vehicles in the garage are of different makes.]

"The measure of a man is what he does with power" LJIOHF!

25.8K:shazam:

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Doesn't really matter all that much, nowadays

The Japanese outsource important parts and assembly development to outside manufacturers. Common rail systems to Denso, for example (and I dare you to find anyone who's experienced common rail diesel issues who holds Denso in higher regard than Bosch! )... and transmissions from JATCO. Toyota's high-performance engines are still being engineered by Yamaha, as well. Mitsubishi's Mirage motor was engineered by a Daimler subsidiary. And, as screws said: everyone uses Garrett turbos.

Why spend so much money on developing it yourself when you can hire an expert to do it for you?

The Koreans played it smart. They licensed technology here and there, hired the best third-party developers money could buy for their fuel and engine systems.

Does that make them less Korean? Nope. The buck stops at the head office... which oversees the platform engineering and ultimately decides future development and the final form of each car.

Same for any manufacturer, really.
    and Mahindra supplies Suzuki, Toyota yan may Indian blood pala ang Toyota at Suzuki

eto pa Mahindra automotive consulting company, Mahindra Engineering Services, works with both Yamaha and Nissan to develop better products and better production systems

Asia

kaya wag nyong ismolin ang Mahindra
    Last edited by Syuryuken; February 24th, 2015 at 08:49 AM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Ke Korean, American, Japanese, o Euro pa yan, kung di talaga marunong mag-maintain ng sasakyan, eh talagang masisira yan. Ano yan, asa nalang sa "uy, <insert brand name> ito, di ito masisira, matibay ito, etc etc.."

The only reason na magkakatalo lang sila is parts availability for me.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by screws View Post
    What do you mean by saying they took the shortcut?

It is a common place in any industry to hire the best if they are available. Take for example Tesla, how many former Apple employees do they have? KIA at the time of hiring of Peter Schreyer wanted to focus on European Market. So what did they do? Hire someone who has a track record in designing European cars. That's common sense.

It is also common place for car manufacturer to partner with other car companies when they are designing some engines. Some example, Mitsubishi, Chrysler and Hyundai partner to design an Engine. Toyota is using a diesel engine from BMW in other markets.

If you are talking CRDI system for Hyundai/KIA, yes they use Bosch brand. Check BMW and Merc or other models, they are also using Bosch parts too. Check some of your engine parts, its also manufactured by other companies. KIA/Hyundai use Garretts Turbo, so as Toyota, Mitsu, Mazda and other brands in some of their models.

Toyotas and Mitsubishi has manufacturing facility in Philippines. Vios and Innovas are assembled in the Philippines. Adventure too. Most Hyundai/Kia that reach our shores is assembled in Korea. If we are going to be baised to where the product is made. Who would you trust? The product Made in the Philippines or the product Made in Korea?

Hyundai or Kia doesnt take "shortcuts" when making their cars. They have thier approch similar as to other car manufacturers. What sets Japanese or European to American or Korean is probably the tolerances level in thier manufacturing process which deserves another topic. Read W. Edwards Deming and read history books why Japanese or European made cars are much better now than American made cars.
    yespo.
    they did take a shortcut... and by your own words, and i agree with you, many companies do take the shortcut.
    as cvt says, why re-invent the wheel, when you can pirate it or pay for its manufacturing rights?
    but one thing that is toppest of the top secrets, in my opinion... is the metallurgy. that tops even the military, the government, even the Vatican... secrets.
    ..."we can send you the blueprints... but you'll have to content yourselves with your own metal blends..."

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by testament11 View Post
    Ke Korean, American, Japanese, o Euro pa yan, kung di talaga marunong mag-maintain ng sasakyan, eh talagang masisira yan. Ano yan, asa nalang sa "uy, <insert brand name> ito, di ito masisira, matibay ito, etc etc.."

The only reason na magkakatalo lang sila is parts availability for me.
    Tell that to the Ranger owners with Turbo problems or Fiesta / Ecosport owners with DCT issues.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Had the pleasure to work with different nationalities (not in the auto industry) and I am guessing their work ethic is same across different industries. Japanese are perfectionist. They want every little detail to be according to specs. They are too workaholic and mostly serious. In my opinion, The cars they make are done to perfection but focus too much on the technical details.

Germans are efficient, straight forward and quality oriented. You just need short discussions and the work will be done efficiently and similar to Japanese, perfectly built. Unfortunately, everything in Germany is expensive. Taxes are high. Labor is expensive. Also, It's quite hard to generalize European cars. German cars are well built but probably not the french cars or the english cars.

Americans are great talkers. They will come up with the grandest mission statements but unfortunately does not translate to output most of the time. while they might fail 99% of the time, that 1% is revolutionary.

Chinese focuses on cheap. Do not really expect a lot.

Now, with the question. I will go with Germans because they make cars that makes sense. You would realize why a 500 bhp car makes sense to build once you drive in the autobahn. Probably the last remaining places where overtaking at 200 kph is normal. Too much horses does not make sense anywhere else in the world.

If I am being practical though, I will choose Jap cars.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
    Had the pleasure to work with different nationalities (not in the auto industry) and I am guessing their work ethic is same across different industries. Japanese are perfectionist. They want every little detail to be according to specs. They are too workaholic and mostly serious. In my opinion, The cars they make are done to perfection but focus too much on the technical details.

Germans are efficient, straight forward and quality oriented. You just need short discussions and the work will be done efficiently and similar to Japanese, perfectly built. Unfortunately, everything in Germany is expensive. Taxes are high. Labor is expensive. Also, It's quite hard to generalize European cars. German cars are well built but probably not the french cars or the english cars.

Americans are great talkers. They will come up with the grandest mission statements but unfortunately does not translate to output most of the time. while they might fail 99% of the time, that 1% is revolutionary.

Now, with the question. I will go with Germans because they make cars that makes sense. You would realize why a 500 bhp car makes sense to build once you drive in the autobahn. Probably the last remaining places where overtaking at 200 kph is normal. Too much horses does not make sense anywhere else in the world.

As I cannot afford German made cars, I rather choose Korean now.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post

As I cannot afford German made cars, I rather choose Korean now.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    As I cannot afford German made cars, I rather choose Korean now.[/QUOTE]
    korean? why not japanese?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by soul12 View Post
    So whats wrong with that?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So whats wrong with that?
    I think I was misinterpreted. Don't get me wrong, I own a Korean car & I absolutely love it. By shortcut, I did not mean cutting corners. What they did is what everyone in the industry & other industies do nowadays. They outsource & brand as their own. Is this wrong? I don't think so. It is just how the way things are done nowadays. That is how Globalization works. They came out with a product that is close to European makes but affordable in the world sense. That's why when I hear people say Korean cars are bulok, I just smile, because they are missing a lot.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Tell that to the Ranger owners with Turbo problems or Fiesta / Ecosport owners with DCT issues.
    Living it up on their "First On Repair Daily" or "Fix Or Repair Daily".....

"The measure of a man is what he does with power" LJIOHF!

25.8K:shazam:

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
Which should one choose? Japanese, American, European, Korean or Chinese?