New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Hi guys,

Been reading different threads for the past weeks about car comparisons. I am contemplating in selling my 1st owned Toyota Altis 2003 1.6J Manual model and buy 2nd hand 06-08 Picanto 1.0 Manual model or 2nd hand 06-08 Nissan Sentra 1.3 Manual model.

The reason for having this ideal is the high gas rates talaga. I was thinking if I will buy smaller car like picanto, it will save me a lot of gas. My concern with picanto is it's a small car naman. Kaya nissan sentra is my other choice.

I surf the net about vios and city 06-08 model. Pricey pa sila. Eh, my altis 03 have the same value with picanto and sentra model.

Is there really a difference from the gas consumption?

Guys, need your comment about this.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    baka manibago kayo sir.. from altis to picanto.. sobrang sikip nang picanto..

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ok lang...go for it.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    personally, i would keep the altis. if it were to save gas, go with the picanto. as what qwerty say, maninibago lang sa ride but i think that would be compensated by the gas bill.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    hindi ba maganda fuel mileage ng altis?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have a 2007 1.6J m/t and it does 10km/L at the average (city driving)... 9km/L is already a bad traffic week. Highway will do 12 to 14.

If FC is your concern then the Picanto may be better. The Altis gets better FC then the Sentra.

I'd also recommend you try checking out the LPG route. I had mine converted to LPG back in 2008 (Greenfuel SGI) and am happy with it ever since.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    A Picanto would have better economy... but not by enough to justify the trade. I doubt the Sentra's economy would be that much better... heavy car, small engine.

9-10 km/l ain't bad. You might want to consider the LPG route... but whether it's worth it will depend on how much longer you will keep your car.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    I have picanto, its really masikip its good only for short trips like fetching kids to school or for daily commute for 1 - 2 persons only, its fast enough... re fuel consumption mine is not quite economical because its matic. Whenever i drive this kei car i feel like its not durable parang madaling masira like a light duty car parang takot ako i long distance, IMHO. I advice you get a vios instead

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vilaern View Post
    Hi guys,

Been reading different threads for the past weeks about car comparisons. I am contemplating in selling my 1st owned Toyota Altis 2003 1.6J Manual model and buy 2nd hand 06-08 Picanto 1.0 Manual model or 2nd hand 06-08 Nissan Sentra 1.3 Manual model.

The reason for having this ideal is the high gas rates talaga. I was thinking if I will buy smaller car like picanto, it will save me a lot of gas. My concern with picanto is it's a small car naman. Kaya nissan sentra is my other choice.

I surf the net about vios and city 06-08 model. Pricey pa sila. Eh, my altis 03 have the same value with picanto and sentra model.

Is there really a difference from the gas consumption?

Guys, need your comment about this.

Thanks!

I would suggest going for the AUTO-LPG direction if you want to save on the cost of fuel, while keeping a relatively spacious car instead of a very small car and questionable fuel savings.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The Altis 1.6J M/T is already a very economical car. To have better gas mileage you may want to try such fuel economy tips as early shifting, following regular maintenance schedule, cleaning the filter regularly, etc. If you really are still not satisfied with the gas mileage, I suggest you also consider going the diesel route. A 2nd hand Crosswind XTO M/T would be nice.

Should I replace my 03 Altis with 06-08 Picanto or 06-08 Sentra?