New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    With a car, you also have to factor in maintenance, insurance & depreciation cost.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    It's just the Mapua part where commuting might seem a good alternative because of the traffic and hassles of parking. But, there's so many ways to get home.

A minibus direct to Philamlife Village/Fernando's/RFC Mall from Manila City Hall (MCH) would be perfect. Fat chance, though. Even long ago, I was hard pressed to see one homeward bound.

I don't recall a jeepney ever going from MCH direct to RFC Mall. In my days, it's always from MCH to Baclaran, another jeepney from Baclaran to Zapote, and then a 3rd jeepney from Zapote to Alabang. Sometimes, there's a jeepney going from Baclaran to Alabang. But, they're almost always full.

By Saulog, it's always get off at Zapote and then take a Zapote-Alabang jeepney.

Of course, a lot has changed with the Coastal Road now in use. So driving is still a good possibility. I'm still set on buying a locally-made V6 midsize because of the extra power that I'm used to.*

It's all planning right now. It may happen within the next 10 years. First thing's first, though. We need to get back to my Mom's good graces so we can have the house.

*I drove a rental 130hp Subaru Impreza (non-turbo) hatchback in Japan not too long ago. It's not even close to the throttle response of the V6 Sonata. If I ever need to overtake (or counterflow??), I want that extra power pronto.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 24th, 2007 at 07:24 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Suggestion lang po. Kung gusto niyo na ang slightly improved security ng may car pero medyo nagtitipid -- medyo lang kasi puro mid-size yung candidates niyo. Might I suggest you are going to save more and be less conspicuous in a diesel compact (as opposed to subcompact) hyundai accent.It's not as big as the mid-size but it's a heckuva lot cheaper in operation and less conspicuous too. OTH it won't be as small as a subbie.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    Suggestion lang po. Kung gusto niyo na ang slightly improved security ng may car pero medyo nagtitipid -- medyo lang kasi puro mid-size yung candidates niyo. Might I suggest you are going to save more and be less conspicuous in a diesel compact (as opposed to subcompact) hyundai accent.It's not as big as the mid-size but it's a heckuva lot cheaper in operation and less conspicuous too. OTH it won't be as small as a subbie.
    I need a midsize because my wife's relatives are in her own words, "mga maton" . They're big and heavy. We need room in the back and I need the power of the V6. Gas? Oh well.....*shrugs*

Besides, I don't think a Hyundai Sonata would stand out. It's a Hyundai just like the Accent. It's not like it's a status symbol or anything compared to a Honda or Toyota.

Add: We're still thinking this through. That's why I'm waffling back and forth between wanting to commute/save gas or just drive and throw economy aside.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 25th, 2007 at 06:16 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Why not just get the Hyundai Veracruz? 7-seater SUV.

3.0L CRDi Variable Geo Turbo 240Hp/480Nm. 6-speed tiptronic You'll have the power you'll ever need. It's already for sale here for 2.7M.

Or, you can get a CRDi Starex (PhP 1.2M), no matter how big your wife's relatives are, they'll fit in there. hehe

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Why not just get the Hyundai Veracruz? 7-seater SUV.

3.0L CRDi Variable Geo Turbo 240Hp/480Nm. 6-speed tiptronic You'll have the power you'll ever need. It's already for sale here for 2.7M.

Or, you can get a CRDi Starex (PhP 1.2M), no matter how big your wife's relatives are, they'll fit in there. hehe
    Veracruz at P2.7M vs Sonata V6 at P1.5M? Well, I have a stingy wife to consider. Guess which one will she choose? Forget about the Veracruz although it looks mighty nice.

Actually if my wife has her way, she'd prefer the van. If she's the one who'll drive it, fine. But, I'm the one who'll drive. I need performance at the cheap at the same time relatively roomy enough. Gas economy is secondary. The Sonata has a 17 gallon tank which is ~64.5 liters. That'll last long enough between refuelings. It's also nimble enough at full load for my kind of driving.

I don't expect we'll do 15-20 hour drives like here. Driving will be confined to the malls of Metro Manila, my wife's relatives in Quezon City, my relatives in Cavite, and the occasional drive to the US Embassy. Otherwise, we'll stick to the Las Pinas area. Dona Manuela should have enough shops/malls nearby for everything we need.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Sonata is 1.5M? just get a SantaFe CRDi (1.52M which can be haggled up to 1.5M flat or less).

It'll be faster than the Sonata (altho SF is electronically limited to 200kph i think).

The stock 150hp/335Nm can be upped to 180hp/395Nm (heck that's 400Nm already!) through a little electronic chip which also overrides the speed limiter.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Sonata is 1.5M? just get a SantaFe CRDi (1.52M which can be haggled up to 1.5M flat or less).

It'll be faster than the Sonata (altho SF is electronically limited to 200kph i think).

The stock 150hp/335Nm can be upped to 180hp/395Nm (heck that's 400Nm already!) through a little electronic chip which also overrides the speed limiter.
    He He. I'm not sure how much a new-model V6 Sonata is over there. I read somewhere it's around P1.5M. It could be less though. I doubt the SF will be quicker or faster because of the weight difference. Plus, the 235hp V6 Sonata was already clocked by laser/cameras at 147mph up north in Phoenix. I'll never go that fast, though. But, I still need the quick throttle response of the Sonata.

I might consider the diesel SF if we decide to do a lot of traveling, like say.... to Nasugbu or Taal. If not, the V6 Sonata it is.

The City Hall part is the only downer. I know what traffic is like over there and parking will certainly be a hassle. If there's a danger, oh well. If it's acceptable enough for most Pinoys, it's acceptable enough for me. Manila can't be any worse than say, Bogota and seedier towns(the worst ever for me) in Colombia, Cairo (Egypt), Diyarbakir (Turkey), and other far-flung places I found myself alone in.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 25th, 2007 at 03:33 PM.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Santa Fe is slower, but the torque of the diesel will make pace feel similar in traffic. Not as keen a steer, though.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Saving On Gas in Manila