New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Hi Guys,

Need help naman in choosing a second hand SUV. I've narrowed it down to two choices. On the basis of reliability, which SUV do you think will last another good 10 years?

- 2nd Gen Rav4 (2004-2005)
    - 2.5 Gen Pajero Fieldmaster (2001-2002)

Thanks for your inputs.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    It depends on how was it taken care of.

The Pajero should last a little more longer since it's known for it's proven reliability. But with it nearing it's decade peak, there might be problems that you can encounter in owning it.

The RAV4 should last long too since it's newer ( more or less 5 years ) . Still, don't expect a problem-free 2nd hand vehicle. There could be also problems that might pop up during the span of your ownership.

---

Both will last long, just not sure about your 10-year span but with the RAV4 being a Toyota, meaning parts availability if ever something breaks up it should be easily replaced. And the Pajero being a ... Pajero meaning a strong/mighty vehicle I wouldn't be surprised though if both of this will last another 10 years of ownership.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Depends on how the previous owner took care of the car, and how you'll take care of it. As a FM owner myself I'd say just do the necessary maintenance work and you'll be fine.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Salamat sa inputs nyo, I'm more inclined on to go with the Pajero given that it has bigger space and diesel variant. I just hope may makita ako na mas higher year model.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    i would pick the FM. maganda rin yung RAV pero in terms of parts availability, medyo mas mahirap than the usual corollas and vios.

a friend of mine has the RAV 4 snd gen and yung shocks replacement niya hirap maghanap. usually orig toyota lang or sa casa lang makakakita.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    given that both are maintained the same way, i'd go for the FM. it's bigger and can tolerate far worse conditions than the rav4. di maiiwasan na may parts na mas mahal kesa sa rav pero understandable naman kasi mas malaki siya. plus, most likely mas madaming surplus parts ang pajero.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    i'd go for rav4. bigat nyan FM ni hindi CRDi

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Ang Pajero FM ba ang tinaguriang world's most successful SUV sa Dakar rally, o ibang variant/version ng Pajero?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    ^ Here's a sample pic that I got from google.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hilldweller View Post
    Ang Pajero FM ba ang tinaguriang world's most successful SUV sa Dakar rally, o ibang variant/version ng Pajero?
    may mas nauna sa FM na pajero pero yung FM yung tinuturing na best in terms of dakar rally.

mas quadrado yung naunang pajero than the FM.

On reliability : 2nd Gen Rav4 or 2.5 Gen Pajero FM, help pls?