New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jomskeet View Post
    Price is almost the same. So this 2 cars fits on my budget. Typically will use this car on Mondays to Fridays from house to work (UST to Commonwealth). On weekends, me,my fiance and friends love to go out of town, so some long driving maybe twice to 3x a month. Fuel efficiency and low cost maintenance is my top priority. Please advise. Thank you!
    It's a mismatch. The Altis is superior in every aspect except fuel economy. It would be better to compare with the Vios. The only things you will like with the City is that it's more fuel efficient, narrower and more easily maneuverable and has the most top-end power in its class. However, the CVT on the City is still noisy and... it's still a CVT with lifeless acceleration and you can't do instantaneous overtakes unlike on manuals or automatics with manual/tiptronic mode because the rubber band effect is still in play (rpm rises quickly, but the actual acceleration is delayed and slow to catch up). This potentially kills the fun factor during long drives. It's funny because reviews of the City from other countries are honest about this while local reviews try their best to downplay this. Also, the City's suspension setup is on the firm side and its seats are not plush. It's not as comfortable as the Vios in terms of ride quality. Poor comfort during long drives = bad. Your best options are a Vios or an Altis.

Here's a dark horse suggestion: the Mazda 3 Maxx which costs 899K Php. It has a 1.6 gas engine and a 6 speed automatic with tiptronic. Having manual mode for long drives gives you an opportunity to have fun. The 3 Maxx is not on Mazda Philippines' website, so just ask the dealers.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Had the same dilemma between City VX and Altis CVT. Ended up with Altis CVT & no regrets. But I had different conditions back then (reliability, maintenance costs, ride comfort, parts, etc). When it comes to fuel efficiency, I think they're the same or in my case, Altis won with atleast 9km/l pure city driving Makati-Pasay-BGC. My friend has City VX with 8km/l pure city driving, but we're not on the same route.

If I have the same condition as you, I'd get the City VX.
    1. Sobrang gitgitan sa Manila area, its a bit hard to maneuver an Altis sa ganito.
    2. CVT against MT in city driving, obvious.
    3. Luxurious toys inside, bluetooth, touchscreen, etc

--

Here's what you'll miss though,
    1. Ride comfort between Altis and City is a bit far. Altis is better, I tried them side by side.
    2. Current gen Altis is classy and luxurious to look at.
    3. Maintenance cost, Honda is strict when it comes to PMS
    4. Size (compact vs sub-compact)

3. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Thank you po sa lahat ng suggestions nyo! I appreciate it!! Sa ngayon medyo lamang po sa isip at puso ko ang Altis, kaso ika nga nila malalaman mo kung para sayo yung kotse once nag test drive ka na. So I'll try to test drive both model before ako makapag decide.

Another question po, malaking factor po ba ang MT sa CVT? In my preference kasi, mas gusto ko matuto at magamay muna ng manual. Beginner driver lang po ako. Malaki ba ang factor ng MT at CVT pagdating sa fuel consumption sa city driving? Thank you po ulit ng madami!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thank you po sa lahat ng suggestions nyo! I appreciate it!! Sa ngayon medyo lamang po sa isip at puso ko ang Altis, kaso ika nga nila malalaman mo kung para sayo yung kotse once nag test drive ka na. So I'll try to test drive both model before ako makapag decide.

Another question po, malaking factor po ba ang MT sa CVT? In my preference kasi, mas gusto ko matuto at magamay muna ng manual. Beginner driver lang po ako. Malaki ba ang factor ng MT at CVT pagdating sa fuel consumption sa city driving? Thank you po ulit ng madami!
    ang CVT ay may manual shifting, pero walang clutch pedal. para ka lang naglalaro ng computer.... up-up-down-down...
    slight difference lang ang FC ng MT sa CVT.
    beginner driver? saan ka natuto mag drive? sa manual? o sa matic? kung beginner driver ka pa lang, and gusto mo mag manual, bat di na lang mag vios? mas maliit.. or stick to AT or CVT.
    or if you really want to stick to MTs, practice practice muna bago lumabas ng edsa..... baka mamatayan ka pag traffic and nasa flyover ka, maka atras ka pa and maka aksidente.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ang CVT ay may manual shifting, pero walang clutch pedal. para ka lang naglalaro ng computer.... up-up-down-down...
    beginner driver? saan ka natuto mag drive? sa manual? o sa matic? kung beginner driver ka pa lang, and gusto mo mag manual, bat di na lang mag vios? mas maliit.. or stick to AT or CVT.
    or if you really want to stick to MTs, practice practice muna bago lumabas ng edsa..... baka mamatayan ka pag traffic and nasa flyover ka, maka atras ka pa and maka aksidente.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    [quote=1D4LV;2615136]ang CVT ay may manual shifting, pero walang clutch pedal. para ka lang naglalaro ng computer.... up-up-down-down...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thank you sir sa input mo.. Natuto ako mag drive sa manual. Practice2x na lang muna sa MT sir.. Pero try ko din iconsider ang CVT. Thanks again!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Sa traffic sa maynila gusto mo talaga mag MT? Goodluck on that. Please advise on choosing my first ever car (City 1.5 VX Navi CVT vs Altis 1.6 G MT)

Still if that's your cup of tea.

Sa FC hindi naman kalaki ang difference niyan.

Hindi naman cast in stone mga nababasa mo na FC ng oto, average ok pero para sabihin mo na constant palagi i don't think so. Nasa apak mo yan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    This would be a better suggestion. Go with the Altis G CVT, or get the Sylphy 1.8V (around the same price with the discounts).
    I would suggest this as well. Bad traffic is not good even for an M/T.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    beginner + MT tapos manila area? Goodluck with that... Manila area has the worst kind of PUV drivers I've ever seen. Dagdag mo pa mga tricycle & pedicab na biglang sisingit sayo out of nowhere. The small difference fuel efficiency of MT against CVT will be negligible.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2013

Eto kasi, if you're bad at using a manual (i.e. poor shift points, hindi marunong mag-timpla), you're better off with an automatic. For manual, the driver's skill level is paramount to whether or not you can achieve the results you want such as good fuel economy and acceleration. Kaya nga tawag siyang manual. It's all on you as a driver. However, having a manual is not advisable for our kind of traffic. All my cars were manual just a few years ago, now all my cars are automatic kasi hindi ko na kinakaya ang traffic.

Another thing to consider is a CVT vs your typical automatic. For CVTs, consider sporty driving pleasure eliminated. Even with the City's 1.5 engine but CVT tranny, you'll find yourself easily overtaken by cars with non-CVT transmission, even if they have smaller engines. Even if you have the City with its relatively large 1.5 engine, you will see manual transmission cars like the 1.3 Vios or even the 1.2 Mirage overtake you with ease and you can't do anything about it because the CVT won't let you. On the upside, CVTs are super efficient with their virtual gear ratios, which is why the City CVT easily gets better fuel economy than the Vios AT. This is why I don't like the City. It has sporty handling, a high-revving engine, and a stiff suspension setup... mated to a lame CVT transmission. Doesn't make sense. They should've made the City comfort-oriented instead kung ganun lang pala. Hindi tugma yung qualities niya. You'll need the 5 speed MT to enjoy the City's sporty qualities. That's why the Vios is better. It's a comfy cruiser through and through. No pretensions of being "sporty, sporty" kung hindi naman talaga.

This is why I prefer DCT and traditional 5 or 6-speed automatics with manual/tiptronic mode. You can tolerate traffic better with minimal compromises on fun. Those compromises come from the fact that there is no more clutch pedal and that the manual mode may not shift as fast as you normally can were it a manual transmission.

If you want to practice driving a manual tranny for the heck of it, or to learn the joys of driving a manual transmission, I suggest you purchase an additional, used car for your weekend pleasure. For instance, a used first gen Mazda 3 with 5 speed MT is fun and fairly cheap on the used car market. Then you can use your new CVT car for your weekday borefest.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    There is no gen 1 Mazda 3 2.0 MT available locally.

I would suggest you get a Sylphy 1.6 CVT if you want an automatic. Net of discounts, nasa 850k nalang siya. Much better value than the City VX IMO. Bigger car, looks classier, better ride, better comfort. Bluetooth lang yung sayang na feature, yung push start nakakaaliw lang sa una but it's not all that different from a normal key.

I drive a manual everyday in rush hour traffic and it's not any more tiring than an automatic. Pareho lang nakakapagod. Personally Altis G MT pa rin kukunin ko if I had to do it all over again.

I also think na kung hindi mo mattry matuto magmanual, eh hindi ka na matututo in the future. Siyempre hindi ka pa magaling, wala naman atang pinanganak na marunong na kagad magdrive ng manual. But if you learn now, while you're younger and a newbie, it'll stick with you forever.

Also, I had a Vios before and it's easier to drive than the Altis. However, it's not all that different. Sanayan lang yan. Mabuti na yung marunong ka magdrive ng malapad na kotse kaysa makitid tapos pag nagdrive ka ibang kotse manibago ka pa.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast