New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by la44 View Post
    thanks for your post, im also having the same problem, but i am actually considering a nissan grandeur vs an optra... im having a real hard time deciding since i am not a car enthusiast and this will be my first time to purchase a car,,, di po ba talaga ok ang optra? coz i really like how it looks...
    It's a Daewoo. Daewoo went bankrupt for a good reason. They made horrible cars. GM-Chevrolet prettied it up a bit, but it has a reputation for poor fuel economy.

Too bad we never got the 2.0 version... the 2 liter engine is sourced from Holden, and is not a Daewoo design, and is supposed to be quite reliable. The 1.6s we get here are pathetically weak and get poor economy.

Now, the Mazda3 1.6 gets similar economy, but it's a heavy car with class leading chassis dynamics and crash safety. The Optra is smaller, lighter, and older, yet it doesn't do any better. And to make matters worse, the steering is dead, the handling is inert and the transmission feels like a pile of rocks.

-

I think it's a pretty car, too... and I like the wagon... but it's hard to recommend as a good buy, not unless you're buying nearly new with a full warranty still attached. The newer cars, with the single piece grill, have had an ECU reflash that partially cures the economy issue, so if you really want an Optra, those are the ones to get.
    Last edited by niky; September 5th, 2009 at 04:31 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    many thanks for that input niky. i'll take note of that.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    toyota altis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Optra '04 vs Civic VTI '01 vs Lancer MX '02