New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup... wala nang carburated 1.3s... which is a good thing actually, maintaining a 1.3 carb is kinda a pain in the ass (you have to take off the air filter and clean the thing by hand (with carb cleaner and "choke" method) every few thousand kays, just to keep them from becoming gas hogs.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Nissan Phil. is currently "open" with the LPG thingy especially for taxi use. Sentras has a more class look than the little vios, pero they have twincams na I think mas malakas sa gasoline pro better accel. Next, d aircon, nothing beats the calsonic brand w/c nissan carries, and w/c passengers are familiar with, yung mga tipong "ah nissan taxi, malamig yan!! dyan na lang tayo sakay at mainit!" For me the sentra will do, proven na tong klase ng oto na 'to thru d years together with the lancer and corolla taxis... as vios, w/c has yet to prove itself.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The twin cam design actually helps save a little gas by making the engine more efficient over a wider range of rpms. The reason Nissan Sentras aren't quite as fuel efficient as the Vios is because of the bigger body and aircon.

The aircon is bloody marvelous, though.

Oh, BTW, I also loved the timing chain design of those engines... wish all engines were like that.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Yeah, understood, that's why I said I wasn't sure if the price of fixing the compressor is still an issue on current models.

Otherwise, current Sentras are pretty mechanically solid.

Yeah, a Kia Rio would be an interesting choice for a taxi, and it looks good, too.
    I recommend the toyota avanza. because it it fuel effiecent and can sit up 7 passengers

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Present regulations do not allow Avanza units to be sold as taxis to have third row seating.

Parang sa Baguio, kahit FX bawal ang may third row seats. Or at least bawal gamitin. The last time we overloaded one, umupo na lang sa sahig ang friend ko. :lol:

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Present regulations do not allow Avanza units to be sold as taxis to have third row seating.

Parang sa Baguio, kahit FX bawal ang may third row seats. Or at least bawal gamitin. The last time we overloaded one, umupo na lang sa sahig ang friend ko. :lol:
    Correct. They (Toyota) remove the last row ng Avanza kung gagawing taxi.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNITED View Post
    Nissan Phil. is currently "open" with the LPG thingy especially for taxi use. Sentras has a more class look than the little vios, pero they have twincams na I think mas malakas sa gasoline pro better accel. Next, d aircon, nothing beats the calsonic brand w/c nissan carries, and w/c passengers are familiar with, yung mga tipong "ah nissan taxi, malamig yan!! dyan na lang tayo sakay at mainit!" For me the sentra will do, proven na tong klase ng oto na 'to thru d years together with the lancer and corolla taxis... as vios, w/c has yet to prove itself.
    If I'm not mistaken, the Vios 1.3 also has DOHC. If it's SOHC, VVTi should more than make up for the absence of the other cam. It's definitely more fuel efficient than the Sentra's non-variable timing motor. It should also be slightly quicker considering the engine advancement and the smaller, lighter body.

As for looks, Sentras aren't really known for that. They simply lack personality to make them noticeable. The design has ever since been ho-hum, always a play-safe scheme. The Vios is quite a looker for a cheap sedan. It's not Euro-handsome, but it gets to make itself renowned, turning quite a number of heads when it was still new and uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by niky
    The twin cam design actually helps save a little gas by making the engine more efficient over a wider range of rpms. The reason Nissan Sentras aren't quite as fuel efficient as the Vios is because of the bigger body and aircon.

The aircon is bloody marvelous, though.

Oh, BTW, I also loved the timing chain design of those engines... wish all engines were like that.
    Yeah, the aircon is probably the only thing that can turn a taxi operator to buying a Sentra instead. Turning the aircon to 1 is like 3 in a Toyota.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    vios dealers also told me that they do not allow the vios to be used for taxi. That was two years ago. but vios units are being submitted and approved by the ltfrb.

here's the gist... i started taxi operation with kia pride, worked my way up from 1 unit to 20, then shifted to avela. these are a cost effective way of building up a fleet. now that i have thirty avelas, i'm shifting gear again to brand new ones. the problem is... which brand? i am, testing the 3 diff brands used here in davao city.... the hyundai which gives u superb gas mileage with a cost of about 600 for a 6-10 operation... that allows you to set a higher boundary rate which the drivers will gladly pay out from the savings they get on the gas. downside is, hyundai parts is hard to come by. when time comes that i have to start my maintenance headache, i'm going to have a fever.

Vios on the other hand has already been tested in terms of gas economy and parts availability. but recently 2010 vios j no longer lives up to its reputation. the 2004 and 2006 year models boasted of 12-14km/liter of gas. the recently released j consumption is 9 km/ liter. That is going to be a pain in the u know where. You will have to make adjustments in the boundary to make sure that the drivers will not back out from maintaining the unit.

nissan is hardier in terms of longevity for the parts and the engine is still quite mechanical. the problem with the mostly electronic laden units now is that when it starts giving u trouble, u are going to have a problem locating an expert to troublrshoot it.... and troubleshooting is one of the key function of ur mechanic in the taxi business. but i can't give an expert opinion on the nissan's functionability since i am just in the process of acquiring a nissan for a test run.

i hope this thread help those would be operator out there

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Have you considered the TOYOTA AVANZA 1.3L M/T ?

It's priced roughly the same as the base model Vios 1.3L M/T.

This was the vehicle Toyota was pushing for TAXI use and not the Vios nor Corolla.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; November 5th, 2010 at 12:51 PM.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I second the motion of GH.

Avanza's are bigger, hence can haul more baggage than what a Vios can.

Plus, people would normally pick this because of it's size and the safety that they feel when they're riding inside a big ride.

Maintenance shouldn't be a problem since the parts are plentiful in the market.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Nissan Sentra GX (1.3L) vs Toyota Vios J (1.3L) - FOR TAXI USE