New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Siguro lahat kasi na pwedeng sabihin between the two ay nasabi na. Basically it falls between value and performance with the Nissan getting the value while the Kia getting the performance. Sayang if they only had the gas Carens still around it would have made a very very good comparison.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by welscua View Post
    Mga parekoy,

Tapos na christmas kaya tapos na rin yung truce, simulan natin ulit, hehehe.....

Lalo na may bagong labas na Carens....post nyo yung pics dito at ng makilatis.

SHARING IS CARING.....
    AFAIK wala pa pong labas na bagong carens(all new). the 2009 model is still the same. medyo may mga inalis/dinagdag/modify na features/accessories ang 2009 model.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i tried out the livina. masikip. both for the driver and the rear passenger. just look at that wheelbase. 2600. kinda short. and the luggage space is not enough for my 2 sons' sports bags. must be the 2 wheelwells on both sides.
    i'll try out the kia next.
    btw, i have a diesel innova. one of the first shipments. and i regularly do 18 km/li on the highway without trying. with aircon. at first i thought it was a fluke. kinastigo pa nga ako nung una kong nireport sa xxxxxx.com, e. but doing it again and again...
    to those of us who still drive around in RT100s, it's time to change cars.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    buti na lang we got the carens at 885k pa.. pero sulit pa rin kasi you get a more advanced CRDi diesel engine with VGT plus to others complaining bakit walang ABS ang carens eh naka 4 wheel disc brakes naman.. unlike GL with ABS kaso rear drum brakes.. mas kailangan ng GL ang ABS kasi drum brakes are prone to LOCK.. yun lang kulang sa airbag ang carens..

we went for a trip to Legazpi albay, total trip was 1200kms (including side trips with speed range of 60 - 100kph) consumed 2,800 pesos of diesel at 38.98 pesos per liter.. FC is at 16km/L
    Ok. First, i know i am so freaking late on this reply, but i can't help myself from replying. Please take note that it is not necessary that you have front and rear disk brakes means you get a good and NOT locking brakes. For the sake of SAFETY na lang, please do more research on this VERY IMPORTANT matter sir. It may someday help you in a situation specially for those of you who drives spiritedly.

Most cars manufactured are braking on their FRONT wheels. That is why, front wheel brakes are made of "ventilated disks brakes". What happens when we apply brake in a moving car? Most will answer, it will slow down and eventually come to a stop. But that is the end-result of braking. When we brake, what really happens is that the "kinetic" energy is being transformed into "heat" energy. Front brake calipers are pressing the "brake pads" against the "ventilated disk brake" to create friction, thus, converting the kinetic energy of the car into heat energy. By laws of physics, we cannot destroy any form of energy and make it totally disappear, instead it can only be transformed into another form.

So, sa rear naman, for some manufacturers to make their car "look" more attractive and pogi so they can raise the price tag, they make their rear brakes into "Solid disk brakes". Mostly, ang tawag dito ay "parking brakes" regardless kung drum or disk. Nagagamit lang ito kapag nag ha-hand brake ka. Unless otherwise, your car is equiped with EBD (Electronic Brake-Force Distribution), that works in tandem with ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) like what the GL have, then tsaka lang na -utilize yung rear brakes while applying the foot brake. This happens only, and only when applying ABRUPT foot brake due to an emergency or kung na trip mo lang mag brake ng bigla habang matulin ang takbo.

The ABS is a very complicated mechanism that involves a lot of solenoids, hoses, sensors, a separate computer chip etc... that monitors your speed and the amount of foot brake you apply everytime you drive your car. It then gives the right amount of pressure by releasing-holding the pressure several times in split seconds, para hindi mag lock up ang pag spin ng gulong mo, in return, giving you and your car the ability to maneuver still while breaking.

Please lets keep ourselves informed sa mga ganitong bagay. No wonder there are a lot of road accidents happening arround us. Maraming na mi-misinform about these things.

Please stay safe everyone and God bless.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Ok. I am on this thread, because i wanted to read some more reviews about GL. And i really appreciate this thread since it seems to compare products, GL and Carens for this case.

I am a proud owner of Grand Livina for almost 2 years now, drove it at about 22,000 kilometers to date. I have some good and bad points with Grand Livina, but overall I am happy with it.

Now I see there have been comparison with the price, product performance, exterior looks, interior design and amenities. I agree that both cars are good and cannot say which is better since I haven't been in a Carens. All cars are not created equal. You can't have the best of both worlds in any car, unless of course you have the money to get a luxury car and modify it to your heart's content to meet your needs and demands.

Now, what I can share is my experience with my GL.

Price wise: I am not going to say its cheap. Took me and my wife to save for it for 3 years before we can replace our aging but reliable honda city '97 model. For a sub 1M car, GL is the best buy for our budget we saw in the market that can meet our needs: People hauling for a growing family; means of transportation from/to work. And leisure of course.

Looks: It is not the most beautiful MPV out there, but at least it's decent enough to park side-by-side any MPV or sub/compact sedan. And as some of my friends kid about it and quote it "a soccer mom's car, not for real men"

Performance: coming from a 1.3 litre car, the Grand Livina's 1.8 litre, aluminum block and cylinders are enough to give us the thrill. I never get to have my GL jack-rabbit its front wheels maybe because of its Limited-Slip Differential. For an AT car, i used to do that unintentionally, but GL gives me the right amount of wheel spin for every step on the accelerator. Acceleration wise, it's decent enough to go at par with a wide bodied civic (tried that, done that). Top speed, only got to 180kph as I don't have the nerves to push it further. Did it only once. That's it. As soon as i hit 140kph * 3,500rpm, i felt my transmission went to overdrive, engine rev is almost at ratio with vehicle speed, enough to throw my back on the seat as rev goes higher and higher as with the vehicle speed.
    another note on the acceleration and torque, I have no problems overtaking. GL is obedient and without hesitation, responds to every demand. it goes up to 6,000 rpm at almost red line without hesitations when called for and gets me where I want, when I want. I seldom do that though, the key phrase there is "only when called for".

Now, on the downside, It is not the perfect mpv. We got issues that some were resolved and some were not. Let's all be honest here. Who have or had a car that never had a problem, with normal use, even for less than a year of use? A car is designed to be a moving object that get us around. Moving parts are here and there, some parts may give to the stress and some will hold. It all depends on so many factors. Reliability wise, my GL is still performing like its new. It may not be very solid, but with careful handling and by religiously following maintenance schedules, it gave my family the bang for the buck.

This may not be a technical sounding feedback, but rather from an ordinary hard-working father's thoughts on his car

As for the other MPVs out there including grand livina, the Best, it becomes only to the eye of the beholder. Enjoy your rides and stay safe!

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    My goodness, I can't help myself but notice the arguments on this thread which car is better. Bow to all of us

If only i have enough extra money (not so much money) and still got our GL, almost immediately i would have this done to my grand livina to boost its performance.

1. change suspension to EIBACH springs and shock abosrbers for a more stable cornering.
    2. change rims from 15 to 18 inches light-weight BBS or the like rims and slam a 50 series performance tires for better traction control.
    3. modify air intake by installing K&N cold air intake kit coupled with modifying bigger headers and remapping ECU to compensate with the change.
    4. change exhaust manifold with larger and less restrictive and remove restrictive muffler to be replace with less back-pressure exhaust pipe with brands like Magnaflow.
    5. change ignition coil to performance brand like ACCEL and ignition cables and team it with high performance spark plugs from Splitfire.
    6. install a modified performance body kit (front/rear bumpers and sideskirts) for a more aerodynamic body.

I have nothing against turbo-charging, but installing one will also be a good idea. I would stick to stage1 at this point. Maybe.

So far, for the past 2 years, the most expensive upgrade i had with my grand livina is the 3M floor matting that stops dirt and water from spreading to the interior carpeting.

My wife is so thankful that we do not have the luxury of adopting the above listed upgrade. I ended up asking myself "wait what car did bought? a family car right?" A wake up call for me

Now I'm working so hard so a I can afford to change the audio head unit and eventually play my future Ipod or Ipad maybe, I don't have one yet, but that is another story or dream. For now, family comes first in the budget.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    guys, new comer lang ako sa site na to, ayos ang labanan ng carens at livina ah, pero livina ako. question lang bro, kumusta naman ang aircon ng livina? kasi diba nasa dashboard lang sya? umaabot ba ang lamig hanggang 3rd row? init kasi sa pinas eh....

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by roycapistrano View Post
    guys, new comer lang ako sa site na to, ayos ang labanan ng carens at livina ah, pero livina ako. question lang bro, kumusta naman ang aircon ng livina? kasi diba nasa dashboard lang sya? umaabot ba ang lamig hanggang 3rd row? init kasi sa pinas eh....
    Mag 3 years na GL ko sa June. Kagagaling lang sa Baguio ng GL with whole family (5 adult size) last holy week.

Never had any problem sa A/C ni GL, up to fan 2 lang ako OK na. Until now, di pa rin nase-service yung A/C ni GL. Nagpalit lang ako ng steering joint last year (claimed under warranty)

Marami akong pinagpilian before but I am happy at di ako nagkamali sa GL. I think, after several years, alam na natin kung sino ang dumadami sa kalsada... saw 3 GL (steel Gray) while going to Baguio and 1 metallic blue while coming back to Manila..

SHARING IS CARING.....

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Sa performance ako and FE so its Kia Carens for my vote.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Nissan Livina or Kia Carens