New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    i think this point in time the montero has the edge over its competitors. its a newer model/design. no d4d problems . Di-d was already being used by strada and pajero so far good reviews. not having a bouncy ride minus one again on the fort. if ever you will be one of the still very few of owning one.

my concern with the sta fe 4x2 they call it premium suv but does not have a passenger airbag . although i admit they have the more advanced diesel engine with vgt. the package is okay but volume wise hindi pa din ganon kadami bumibili and its been out two years, don't know why.

with regards to 2nd row and 3rd row seats which of the 3 do you think is roomier? for passenger and for cargo.?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    ^ I agree with volume. the strada was launched later than the Sta. Fe. but I see more stradas on the road than the Sta. Fe.

the new Montero will be a hot selling car bec. it shares the same engine with the current Pajero (accdg. to the Mitsu Montero thread). and basta ma mention lang ang term na Pajero alam mo naman ang mga Pinoy.

I also saw a pic of the new Thai Fortuner facelift. thebuilt-in lcd system with GPS navigation looks nice that is if Toyota Phils. decides to include it here.

so i'm guessing, a new round of battle between the upcoming Fort and Mitsu's new Montero in the months to come.

regarding hyundai, well they're way in too over their heads. their now overpricing their cars. their power diesels have not received cult status yet as is the Pajero or the Land Cruiser na since 80's pa, wish ng wish ng mga rugged road enthusiasts. the only thing that's making them so popular right now is bec. Europe, America and other developed markets are excited on every Hyundai vehicle rolling out from the Korean car factory.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Santa Fe is the best diesel SUV in the segment because it is the best on the road.

It has the most refinement, the best engine (small, yet powerful), the best ride and the most comfortable interior (honestly... I'm a FordClubber, and I will readily admit the Everest isn't for everyone).

The advantage of the Montero, Everest, Fortuner et al is the off-road capability... but if you're not climbing Mount Pinatubo any time soon... (and where you'll get clean diesel there to feed the finicky common rail engines in all of these cars... I don't know)... the Santa Fe is the best choice. For off-roading, I'd say it's a toss-up between the Fort and the Everest... I like the Eve's drivetrain and engine better, especially as it has an LSD, but the Fort is a very capable vehicle that sees a lot of off-road action.

I'd say the Captiva and Sorento would come next, but the Sorento's ride is too wallowy for me (see? I don't like all Koreans... ) and the Captiva's handling is just so-so.

Another interesting entry in this market? The Ssangyong Kyron. ( http://bigbigcar.com/ReviewArticle.aspx?id=31 ) It's a Mercedes-based engine and Chassis... comes with ABS, EBD, SRS Airbags and an interior that makes the Japanese (Montero, Everest, Fortuner... the Everest is based on the Mazda B-pickup) ladder-frames look like crap.

The ride isn't half-bad (I'd say it's comparable to the Pajero Fieldmaster, but a little better, with more body control) and the engine is good, though not as powerful as the Toyota 3.0 D4D or the Ford 3.0 TDCi. Still, this car has more refinement than most ladder-frame trucks, a true low-range 4WD option, a punchy engine and a great interior.

Okay... so it looks funny... but so what? You're going to be sitting inside it, anyway...

Last edited by niky; September 3rd, 2008 at 08:30 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by yuichi
    ser MM, baka marami magalit syo
    No problem with that boss yuichi... it's my opinion lang naman. :D

Quote Originally Posted by FBSS View Post
    Sir do you have any proof or basis why you called Santa Fe a king of entry level SUVs?
    I said road-biased... (and it has been getting top marks from the last two C! Annual Awards).

Not everyone goes to Maarat every weekend to justify the purchase of an off-road biased vehicle. Even though the Strada (and we can deduce that the Montero Sport also) has really good legs it still can't beat the road-biased suspension of the Sta. Fe.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza.altis
    although i admit they have the more advanced diesel engine with vgt. the package is okay but volume wise hindi pa din ganon kadami bumibili and its been out two years, don't know why.
    Some people still don't have faith on Korean products.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    I started this thread to give an advise regarding the performance of this 3 SUV. i will not use this for off road just for family use only .. Before i was so much incline to Fort but with the bad review on the suspension and my personal test drive with my friend i will say (matagtag talaga sya) but they say the new version of the fort was good. i hope that the shock will improve. the 2nd is Sta.Fe, for me it's a great medium SUV for family with 2.2 engine with superb horse power with 5 years warranty but with the new arrival of MS i must say i will wait for more review of this to decide (the problem here is i must say that the inside cabin is look like my strada) but, MS is the cheapest for this 3 SUV.. All of this 3 SUV has a different characteristic.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Santa Fe is probably the most practical among the three due to its refinement, long warranty, and good resale. Despite being very stylish, I dunno why but I'm already tired of it even if its relatively new in the market.

As for the Fortuner and Montero Sport, cuz of its roughness and simplicity, (to lower their prices), makes them quite attractive to me and reminds me of older Pajeros and Land Cruisers.

So at the moment, while not perfect, I would go for the Montero Sport if only because its supposed to ride better than the Fortuner (based on reviews) and has fold flat 3rd row seats.

Ssangyong Kyron? Sorry but I think its like throwing away money with it.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    No problem with that boss yuichi... it's my opinion lang naman. :D

I said road-biased... (and it has been getting top marks from the last two C! Annual Awards).

Not everyone goes to Maarat every weekend to justify the purchase of an off-road biased vehicle. Even though the Strada (and we can deduce that the Montero Sport also) has really good legs it still can't beat the road-biased suspension of the Sta. Fe.

Some people still don't have faith on Korean products.
    So that was your idea of being a king of entry level SUV? Okay I respect that because it’s your opinion but sad to inform you because I feel different about it.

If it is justifiable by just the smoothness of ride then I would definitely choose the new CR-V because the Santa Fe is quite bouncy to me. It is bouncy considering the suspension set up which is MacPherson, which is also being used in the Altis and GSR Lancer (in particular) that has poor performance because of bouncy ride and the handling is quite sluggish.

As far as I know, the Macpherson suspension is cheaper than the Double Wishbone suspension which is used in the new Montero, Fortuner and the Ferrari’s. Although there’s something wrong with the design of the Fortuner’s suspension that's why it did not translate into performance. As I remember, I once had a 6th generation civic that has a Double Wishbone suspension set up in front and rear. Boy the ride was indeed smooth and the handling is superb. I even like the ride of that car as compared to the new civic of today. One more thing about the Santa Fe is you can easily hear the suspension banging even in small potholes. And that’s the advantage of the Montero and Fortuner.

If people don’t have faith in Korean products then why are we seeing many Starex Vans on the road?

Also what’s the purpose of putting a small engine yet it’s not Fuel efficient at all? My uncle is complaining about it as he is just getting 7km/l in city driving.

So given these data, I would decline to say that Santa Fe is the king of road-biased entry SUV. No offense but I’m just sharing my opinion about this topic.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    [quote=Gen. Miting;1122119
    regarding hyundai, well they're way in too over their heads. their now overpricing their cars. [/quote]

I agree with you. Not only Hyundai, but also Kia. Both are increasing their
    prices too fast. Parang atat na atat na Columbia and HARI to make
    tons of moolah FAST that they are turning off a lot of undecided /
    prospective buyers.

Isa na ko doon. At first I was looking to get a Sorento, but at 1.6M,
    I think it is way too expensive, kahit na ba maganda reviews ng Sorento, in general.

Then I looked at the Sta. Fe but at the current asking (increased) price
    of 1.538M (start Sep 01), 4x2 lang, eh medyo I was not yet ready to
    cross the fence, undecided ika nga.

I did not consider the fortuner anymore because of the bad experience
    of the people I know who own one.

That was 2 weeks ago.

Then I saw the Montero 4x4 SE at MOA last week, and at discounted price of 1.598M, I said to myself, this is the TRUE value for money.

So ayun, reserve agad ng Montero SE! Sana lang lumabas na next
    week as promised.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Ssangyong Kyron? Sorry but I think its like throwing away money with it.
    Agree. Ssangyong's current designs seems like an acquired taste.

Totoo, di mo naman nakikita yung exterior while you're driving,
    but once you get off the car (in the garage or in a parking space),
    makikita mo na yun for sure and and you'll be left with the thought:
    "What was I thinking when I bought this?"

I see very few of it on the road, and for sure if sales don't improve, you'll
    be left with a zero value car 5 or 10 years down the road. Rememer the MB 100 Van (aka Ssangyong) almost 10 years back? So pass muna
    ako sa Ssangyong for now....

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well... Ssangyong is unproven, locally, and yes, the MB100 was a total turd (we had two in the family... )... but I can find very few people who are dissatisfied with their Ssangyong trucks... it's old-school MB engineering underneath all that, so it should be quite robust... but yes, you will have to be prepared to search a little more for spare parts.

So that was your idea of being a king of entry level SUV? Okay I respect that because it’s your opinion but sad to inform you because I feel different about it.

If it is justifiable by just the smoothness of ride then I would definitely choose the new CR-V because the Santa Fe is quite bouncy to me. It is bouncy considering the suspension set up which is MacPherson, which is also being used in the Altis and GSR Lancer (in particular) that has poor performance because of bouncy ride and the handling is quite sluggish.

As far as I know, the Macpherson suspension is cheaper than the Double Wishbone suspension which is used in the new Montero, Fortuner and the Ferrari’s. Although there’s something wrong with the design of the Fortuner’s suspension that's why it did not translate into performance. As I remember, I once had a 6th generation civic that has a Double Wishbone suspension set up in front and rear. Boy the ride was indeed smooth and the handling is superb. I even like the ride of that car as compared to the new civic of today. One more thing about the Santa Fe is you can easily hear the suspension banging even in small potholes. And that’s the advantage of the Montero and Fortuner.
    Ahem. You've got a lot to learn about suspension design.

A McPherson suspension has absolutely nothing to do with how bouncy or smooth a car drives, and double wishbones do not a sportscar make.

The advantage of a double wishbone suspension over a McPherson strut suspension is that a double wishbone can execute camber and caster changes in hard cornering to assist cornering if it's designed to. But there are ways to provide cornering assist with McPhersons in the design of toe geometry. The Lancer Evolution has front McPhersons... the BMW M3 has front McPhersons... my Lynx RS has McPhersons at all four corners... and those aren't bad handling cars at all...

A McPherson system isn't primarily about saving money (otherwise, the Fort and Eve would have McPhersons... consider that these two trucks are based on old-school ladder frames and have lower-tech (read: cheaper to make) chassis than the Santa Fe, and have that ultimate in low-cost suspensions... a rear beam axle... a McPherson is all about saving space.

The Fort and Eve have front double wishbones because they're trucks. They don't need the space-saving design of a McPherson strut, they need a heavy duty suspension for off-roading. Yes, the 6th gen Civic rode better than this one, but that's not because this one isn't double wishbone... it's because it's got ungodly stiff springs. The Dodge Caliber has McPhersons, and it's the smoothest riding car we've ever tested.

Granted, the Santa Fe needs stiffer shocks... but it's nowhere near as bad as the super-soft Sorento. None of these SUVs ride perfectly... the Fortuner needs much softer springs and stiffer shocks, and probably more aggressive anti-roll bars so they can stop preventing body roll by making it ungodly stiff... the Everest rides like a boat on bedsprings (bouncy bouncy bouncy... SUPER stiff... bouncy bouncy bouncy...)... and if the Montero is like the Strada, it'll achieve a soft ride by being... you guessed it... a bit bouncy on uneven roads.

Of course... yes... the CR-V is a great SUV... in general, gasoline-only SUVs like the CR-V and RAV4 are more refined than any of these diesels... which is one reason why we got a CR-V 2.4 4x4 instead of the Santa Fe we were planning to get... the other reason being the insane discount Honda gave us... seems gasoline SUVs aren't that popular due to poor fuel economy. Ours gets about 7.5 km/l on the highway (where the SF can do 15+++)... but do we mind? Nah... Wanted the CR-V 2.0, so we could get economy similar to the Santa Fe... but the fabric seats on the base CR-V are hard enough to break your back over rough roads. Oh well...

If people don’t have faith in Korean products then why are we seeing many Starex Vans on the road?

Also what’s the purpose of putting a small engine yet it’s not Fuel efficient at all? My uncle is complaining about it as he is just getting 7km/l in city driving.
    Has your uncle owned an SUV before?

City driving makes for bad fuel economy. Even the Ford Focus TDCI, which can get 20 km/l on the highway, can get as low as 8 km/l in traffic.You can get 5 km/l or so in a Fortuner or an Everest in city driving. I've done it. Hell, a Veracruz is more fuel efficient than a Fortuner 3.0, and the Veracruz makes nearly twice the power with the same sized diesel (though I hate the ride... it's much softer and bouncier than the Santa Fe's, though not as bad as the old Starex or Sorento.)

Hell... even the Honda City,which can get an amazing 20-30 km/l in eco-runs, can get as low as 8 km/l in city traffic... or less.

If your uncle owned a Crosswind or an Isuzu before, well, maybe his disappointment is understandable... Isuzus get pretty decent economy compared to other diesels.

So given these data, I would decline to say that Santa Fe is the king of road-biased entry SUV. No offense but I’m just sharing my opinion about this topic.
    You're entitled to your opinion, but please get your facts straight.
    Last edited by niky; September 4th, 2008 at 01:37 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
New Montero Sport 4x4, Fortuner 3.0 4x4 or Sta. Fe 4x4.