New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 57 123451151 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Best buy for this 3 SUV and performance wise for this. Comment on this.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Won't know till I test drive the Montero Sport, but from reports, it's somewhat better than the Fort. Don't know how it compares to the Santa Fe, but the Santa Fe is a pure soft-roader, not an off-roader like the MS or the Fortuner.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    you cant take a Sta Fe for off-roading I guess.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    While you can take it off-road, that's not its main purpose. The Santa Fe is a crossover designed as a comfortable on-road vehicle with good ground clearance and 4WD to help in low traction conditions.

But it has lower height, road-biased tires and a relatively tame electronic full-time 4WD mode... much like the CR-V, which isn't that great off-road.

The Fortuner and the Montero Sport, on the other hand, are built on pickup-truck ladder frames, have heavy duty truck suspension, a higher ride height, all-terrain tires and a switchable part-time 4WD system with low ratios for off-roading. While the extra weight of the hardware and truck-based construction make them less refined than the Santa Fe (though the Montero Sport should be very good if it drives anything like the Strada), they allow them to go further off-road than the Santa Fe can.

But if off-roading for the thread-starter means nothing more than a muddy track or a few potholes, the Santa Fe is the better choice, with the smaller and more fuel efficient engine and the nicer cabin.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Unfortunately, the KIA Sorento VGT (2.5L 175hp/400Nm) is not yet being sold here. It would have been a nice contender being another body-on-ladder SUV.

The 2010 Sorento not be having the ladder chassis anymore and will be sharing the platform with Hyundai Veracruz.
    Last edited by Horsepower; September 2nd, 2008 at 12:18 PM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Unfortunately, the KIA Sorento VGT (2.5L 175hp/400Nm) is not yet being sold here. It would have been a nice contender being another body-on-ladder SUV.

The 2010 Sorento not be having the ladder chassis anymore and will be sharing the platform with Hyundai Veracruz.
    The local Sorento seems somewhat more road-biased than the Fort and MS, but it has great axle articulation and would make a great off-roader... even without VGT, it's pretty powerful.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hmmm... it's too early to tell...

The Sta. Fe is the king of the 7-seat road-biased entry-level SUVs (hahaha... that's a handful)... the Montero Sport will have a hard time toppling that. I've seen a video of the latter doing some laps in a track and the body roll is manageable for its size but still not as composed as the former.

But the MS looks like a better alternative than the Fortuner, Everest or Alterra...

bigbigcar.com First Drive: Hyundai Genesis V6

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post

The Sta. Fe is the king of the 7-seat road-biased entry-level SUVs (hahaha... that's a handful)... the Montero Sport will have a hard time toppling that. I've seen a video of the latter doing some laps in a track and the body roll is manageable for its size but still not as composed as the former.

But the MS looks like a better alternative than the Fortuner, Everest or Alterra...

ser MM, baka marami magalit syo.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    After my Test Drive, I can say Montero DEFINITELY. Try to test drive first so you'll know what I mean. I'm actually waiting for the new facelifted Fort but it seems I really like the new SUV of Mitsubishi.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post

Sir do you have any proof or basis why you called Santa Fe a king of entry level SUVs?

Page 1 of 57 123451151 ... LastLast
New Montero Sport 4x4, Fortuner 3.0 4x4 or Sta. Fe 4x4.