New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gud day Guys!

Am a newbie when it comes to cars and driving. Recently I purchased a 2nd hand 98 corolla GLI, the car works just fine. its me whose having some thoughts over my head. Now, i would like to ask the following questions. I hope and I know that you could enlighten me on some basic car maintenance.

1. What should i check every morning before I start driving the car? and how should i do it?

2. How would i know if there is something wrong with the car besides those items that show up when you start the car?

3. How do I know when my tire pressure is low? Am a newbie and i cannot feel any difference.

4. When do I change oil, filters, brake pads, etc?

I still got lots of questions, but for now this will do. TIA guys!

Peace and more power!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    I'm no car expert. Share ko lang alam ko:

[SIZE=1]1. What should i check every morning before I start driving the car? and how should i do it?[/SIZE]
    - Siguro eh water lang ang *reasonable* icheck everyday (tubig na rin sa baterya kung yung gamit mong batt eh yung tinutubigan pa). Other things like oil and tire's air pressure, pwede na siguro weekly (or sa tuwing magpapagasolina ka).

[SIZE=1] 2. How would i know if there is something wrong with the car besides those items that show up when you start the car?[/SIZE]
    - Kung may problema naman sa sasakyan usually naman ay may noticeable signs naman yan like squeaking sounds, weird smell, usok, etc. Basta anything out of the ordinary.
    [SIZE=1]
    3. How do I know when my tire pressure is low? Am a newbie and i cannot feel any difference.[/SIZE]
    - Medyo marami at indefinite ang pwedeng maging signs ng low tire pressure. Pwedeng stiff handling (mas matigas ng konti ang manibela), [a bit] reduced gasoline mileage, etc. Para sure, weekly ka na din magpahangin, or isabay mo na sa pagpapa-gas mo.
    [SIZE=1]
    4. When do I change oil, filters, brake pads, etc?
    [/SIZE]
    - Oil change depends on the oil. Synthetics mas matagal buhay (5-10K kms. ata). Pero yung iba, hindi sinusunod ito. Mas maaga nilang pinapalitan. Filters? Maraming filter. May oil filter at aircon filter. Yung oil filter ata ay pinapalitan every oil change (sh1t di ko na maalala); aircon filter eh regular cleaning lang then some periodic change. Ewan ko lang kung ano ang sinusunod nila na scheduling.

Peace and more power!

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Personally, even with synthetics, I prefer changing at 5000 kms. especially considering traffic conditions.

The rest has been answered already.... but with soft tires, tama si Kikkoman, it's hard to tell. If it's a front tire, you'll feel it over bumps or through the steering wheel, but if it's in the back, considering you drive a regular front wheel drive Japanese compact (I assume you do), you won't notice it until it's quite flat.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    hello marco, welcome and i'd like to congratulate you for having learned the driving. mind you, it is a lifelong learning.

anyways, to answer your questions, i'll list it down as you have asked:

for no.1, check all the fluids- coolant, oil level, brake fluid/clutch fluid (if your car happens to be a M/T), washer fluid, battery(if it is not maintenance free type)

for no.2, aside from what kikkoman mentioned, you'll know it. if the car is pulling to one side, or wiggles. check out for those lights too- sometimes nagiging grounded ang mga yan, kahit umaga naka-ilaw.

for no.3, i suggest you buy a tire pressure gauge. that way, you could check your tires while its 'cold'. i mean, your tire pressure is more accurate when its cold- meaning you haven't run for at least a kilometer. then add the pressure if necessary.

for no.4, normally, an oil change is necessary every 5000 kms or 3 months, whichever comes first. remember to change those oil filters. air filters are good for 20000 kms. a set of spark plug is good for 100000 kms., fuel filter is good for 20000 kms (or is it 40?), coolant is good 40000 kms. timing belt (for toyota) 100000 kms.

ask ko lang sir, wala ka ba ng owner's manual nang kotse mo? anyways, post ko later yung service interval nang makina mo- 4AFE (1600cc)

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by marco624 View Post
    Gud day Guys!

Am a newbie when it comes to cars and driving. Recently I purchased a 2nd hand 98 corolla GLI, the car works just fine. its me whose having some thoughts over my head. Now, i would like to ask the following questions. I hope and I know that you could enlighten me on some basic car maintenance.

1. What should i check every morning before I start driving the car? and how should i do it? - I normally do a walk-around sa kotse and silip sa ilalim kung may unusual na tagas

2. How would i know if there is something wrong with the car besides those items that show up when you start the car? - You will know when you feel your car is behaving odd, kapag di na smooth ang andar, kapag may nakita ka mga tagas na wala dapat, kapag may naririnig ka unusual sounds na wala dapat, you will know

3. How do I know when my tire pressure is low? Am a newbie and i cannot feel any difference. - That's the reason why I always do a walk-around before I jump into my car, to visually check my tires, mararamdaman mo naman yan kung flat ka na habang tumatakbo ka

4. When do I change oil, filters, brake pads, etc? - change oil every 5000 km, visually check brakes kung pudpod na

Peace and more power!
    I suggest you read this

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thanks a lot guys for your replies...medyo excited kasi ako e. First time ko kasi magkakotse at matuto mag drive...Minsan pag umaga, deretso upo ako agad at pag andar, tuloy tuloy na...minsan nga nakakalimutan ko mag seat belt, naaalala ko lang nasa kalagitnaan na ako ng byahe...

Sir Ian Rex - me kasama syang manual, kaya lang d ko gaanong maintindihan e.

Maraming salamat sa abala!

Peace!

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by marco624 View Post
    minsan nga nakakalimutan ko mag seat belt, naaalala ko lang nasa kalagitnaan na ako ng byahe...
    Ah, isa pa siguro ito sa kailangan mo praktisin at ituwid.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Try not to visit the Good Squad HQ thread, baka madiscourage ka magmaneho

Congrats! On the tire pressure gauge, I noticed the dial gauges (with the release valve) is most effective compared to the pen type gauge or the one that has no release valve. More expensive, but you get good readings. Follow your owner's manual for pressures.

When in doubt, follow your owner's manual -- changing oil, type of oil, viscosity, fluids, etc. If you don't have one, borrow one and have it copied so you have a reference. A lot of "newbie" threads here can be solved by reading the manual.

For your #2 question, since you're a beginner driver, leave the maintenance to those in the know. Get a feel for the car first, learn how to drive the thing, worry about maintenance later when you already have good experience with driving. I suggest this because it's hard to both concentrate on learning how to drive and having to worry if something needs to be replaced. If one is already intuitive (like driving) then one can start worrying about maintenance

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Salamat ng marami..

Ano ba ang price range ng tire pressure gauge (dial type and pen type). I think i should buy one soonest para naman di ako nang huhula kung kulang naba sa hangin ang gulong ko....

sa driving naman guys, what should i do para maging smooth ang changing gears ko? parang nag aalangan pa kasi ako i release ang clutch minsan na nag cause ng stalling ng engine dahil minsan nahuhuli tapak ko sa accelerator. IN short hindi pa maganda ang coordination ng left and right foor ko. anong dapat ko i practice? Typical ba ito sa newbie?

TIA

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Ano ba ang price range ng tire pressure gauge (dial type and pen type). I think i should buy one soonest para naman di ako nang huhula kung kulang naba sa hangin ang gulong ko....
    Ewan ko sa pen-type, pero yung bilog (yun ba yung dial-type?), Nasa Php600-800.00 sa True Value. Pero kung ako sayo, mas OK na lang na isabay mo ang pagchecheck ng hangin ng gulong mo sa gasoline station. Gagastos ka pa kasi. Kung sisingaw naman ang gulong, siguradong impis agad yan. Wala ng anu-ano pa.

sa driving naman guys, what should i do para maging smooth ang changing gears ko? parang nag aalangan pa kasi ako i release ang clutch minsan na nag cause ng stalling ng engine dahil minsan nahuhuli tapak ko sa accelerator. IN short hindi pa maganda ang coordination ng left and right foor ko. anong dapat ko i practice? Typical ba ito sa newbie?
    Yes, very typical ito sa n00b. Kaya nga sa amin (nanay ko, brother ko at ako), nung naguumpisa pa lang kaming magaaral ng pagmamaneho lahat eh may nakalaang pera na para sa pagpapapalit ng clutch kasi tiyak na pakatapos ng isang taon eh pudpod na ito. Ewan ko lang sa iba.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
New to Cars and Just learned to drive a week ago.