New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Hi all,

I’m planning to get a used 500-650k automatic old-school diesel suv as my daily driver and sort of a go-anywhere/adventure/road-trip car.

Criteria:
    1. Cost of ownership / maintenance
    2. Reliability
    3. Fuel economy

Basically something that will give me the least amount of headaches for the 5+ years I plan to keep it.

Need opinions/advice on the ff choices as these are what I’m currently leaning to:
    1. 650k 1990’s imported/surplus/subic Toyota Landcruiser Prado J71 (3 doors 1kz-te). Owner already upgraded it (lift + rims + tires) and did the major maintenance items e.g timing belt, belts, fluids, etc. Still needs some work (dashboard, lights, grills). What’s the fuel economy on this? I heard 4-6km/l? Costly to restore to it’s full glory? Is this a money pit?

2. 600k Same as #1 but 5 doors. Owner made expensive restoration work on it already with original toyota parts. 185k mileage.

3. 500-600k 2005-2007 Pajero FM. 90-120k mileage.

4. Left-field choice as it’s a crdi: 600k 2011 Hyundai Sta Fe 4x2 with 80k mileage. Casa maintained & I know the owner.

Recommendations are welcome also (I have a Revo already, so no innova/crosswind/adventure. Also had a Jimny MT, but sold it as I can’t stand the traffic).

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by franee View Post
    Hi all,

I’m planning to get a used 500-650k automatic old-school diesel suv as my daily driver and sort of a go-anywhere/adventure/road-trip car.

Criteria:
    1. Cost of ownership / maintenance
    2. Reliability
    3. Fuel economy

Basically something that will give me the least amount of headaches for the 5+ years I plan to keep it.

Need opinions/advice on the ff choices as these are what I’m currently leaning to:
    1. 650k 1990’s imported/surplus/subic Toyota Landcruiser Prado J71 (3 doors 1kz-te). Owner already upgraded it (lift + rims + tires) and did the major maintenance items e.g timing belt, belts, fluids, etc. Still needs some work (dashboard, lights, grills). What’s the fuel economy on this? I heard 4-6km/l? Costly to restore to it’s full glory? Is this a money pit?

2. 600k Same as #1 but 5 doors. Owner made expensive restoration work on it already with original toyota parts. 185k mileage.

3. 500-600k 2005-2007 Pajero FM. 90-120k mileage.

4. Left-field choice as it’s a crdi: 600k 2011 Hyundai Sta Fe 4x2 with 80k mileage. Casa maintained & I know the owner.

Recommendations are welcome also (I have a Revo already, so no innova/crosswind/adventure. Also had a Jimny MT, but sold it as I can’t stand the traffic).

Thanks!
    Do you need the 4x4? I'm a little iffy with the 70 series Prado. It looks really old both inside and out. Kung 90 series baka pwede pa. We have a Japan surplus Granvia with the exact same engine, and has ran 165tkms. I get around 4-5km/L city, around 8-9 highway, not-so-tame driving. Good thing it runs on diesel. 😂 Engine pulls well for it's age and has very good low end grunt. Not much power to be had above 3000rpm though, but no black smoke till 4000rpm. I'm really, really curious as to how a nice, big FMIC and a Unichip will benefit this engine.

We have a 2011 4x4 CRDi. It does around 6-7km/L city, lead footed driving. 4x2 should do better. 80tkms is a bit high for its age, though 600k is pretty cheap. But if you know the owner and are confident with the car's condition, then go for it. It does 200 easily enough and is very stable in high speeds. NVH and ride quality are really good too.

I say 5 door Prado if you go off road and Santa Fe if 4x4 is not needed. IMHO there's no sense in getting a Pajero if it has no 4x4. All that excellent articulation and ground clearance wasted away when you still get stuck in the mud. 😂

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    forget the surplus units. even if they used oem parts to convert it you can never be sure of the workmanship until it breaks.

sta fe is a maybe for me. ask the owner if the abs sensors on all rear wheels have been changed already. also the serpentine belt and belt tensioner. if not yet then for sure ikaw na magpapalit nun. nice ride though, fast and agile. BUT very little luggage space if you are using all 3 rows.

my vote goe to the fm. if you are considering the sta fe then you don't need to go offroading so a 4x2 is enough. it's a lot bigger than the sta fe so you can pack more. parts are more readily available. and it's not crdi, kahit saang talyer pwede mo pagawa.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Do you need the 4x4? I'm a little iffy with the 70 series Prado. It looks really old both inside and out. Kung 90 series baka pwede pa. We have a Japan surplus Granvia with the exact same engine, and has ran 165tkms. I get around 4-5km/L city, around 8-9 highway, not-so-tame driving. Good thing it runs on diesel. 😂 Engine pulls well for it's age and has very good low end grunt. Not much power to be had above 3000rpm though, but no black smoke till 4000rpm. I'm really, really curious as to how a nice, big FMIC and a Unichip will benefit this engine.

We have a 2011 4x4 CRDi. It does around 6-7km/L city, lead footed driving. 4x2 should do better. 80tkms is a bit high for its age, though 600k is pretty cheap. But if you know the owner and are confident with the car's condition, then go for it. It does 200 easily enough and is very stable in high speeds. NVH and ride quality are really good too.

I say 5 door Prado if you go off road and Santa Fe if 4x4 is not needed. IMHO there's no sense in getting a Pajero if it has no 4x4. All that excellent articulation and ground clearance wasted away when you still get stuck in the mud. 😂

Not really gonna need 4x4.

The prado, I know it's kind of impractical due to age/converted/surplus/etc but there's just something about it when I see it on the road. I'm ok with really bare cars though since I had a jimny also before. The 3door is where my heart really is. It's like a small tank. I'm just concerned about the cost of ownership for this.

The Sta Fe, I'm still kind of in the fence since it's a hyundai and the parts not sure if available outside casa here in cebu.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    forget the surplus units. even if they used oem parts to convert it you can never be sure of the workmanship until it breaks.

sta fe is a maybe for me. ask the owner if the abs sensors on all rear wheels have been changed already. also the serpentine belt and belt tensioner. if not yet then for sure ikaw na magpapalit nun. nice ride though, fast and agile. BUT very little luggage space if you are using all 3 rows.

my vote goe to the fm. if you are considering the sta fe then you don't need to go offroading so a 4x2 is enough. it's a lot bigger than the sta fe so you can pack more. parts are more readily available. and it's not crdi, kahit saang talyer pwede mo pagawa.
    Yes, I also think the FM is the most practical choice given my choices. Is 630k fair for an 07 FM?

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Not really gonna need 4x4.

The prado, I know it's kind of impractical due to age/converted/surplus/etc but there's just something about it when I see it on the road. I'm ok with really bare cars though since I had a jimny also before. The 3door is where my heart really is. It's like a small tank. I'm just concerned about the cost of ownership for this.

The Sta Fe, I'm still kind of in the fence since it's a hyundai and the parts not sure if available outside casa here in cebu.
    Outside Metro Manila ka pala. Parts is not a problem for me here. Tanong ka muna sa mekaniko nyo kung may reliable parts supply ang Hyundai sa inyo.

Sa Prado naman, I personally find 3 doors impractical. Is this just a toy car for you? Though kung Prado talaga gusto mo then kunin mo na. 600k is a lot of money to be buying something you don't really want. Sabi mo marami na nagawa in both units. Just make sure the steering rack and front suspension are replaced and the dashboard isn't falling apart.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    If you're concerned about the costs ... you shouldn't be considering toy cars ... buy more practical cars ...

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    By the way, pasok na pala ang LC90 sa budget mo. 1998 Toyota Prado Diesel LC9 Orig Left hand drive For Sale Philippines - Find 2nd Hand (Used) 1998 Toyota Prado Diesel LC9 Orig Left hand drive On OLX
    This one for example is already original LHD so lesser headaches and worries.
    And this one 1997 Land Cruiser PRADO 1kz diesel matic 4x4 | ******* is converted but with original LHD dashboard which hints at a meticulously done conversion.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    how about the nissan patrol? for me, their looks don't go out of style

10. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Yes, I also think the FM is the most practical choice given my choices. Is 630k fair for an 07 FM?
    Pag casa maintained, pwede na pero if hindi medyo nasa mahal na pricing yan. If 500k pwede na yan.

PAJ 4M40 MORE POWER!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast