New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Pareho lang brake balance of the drum vs disc Fort. Lurching under braking is impacted more by better brake modulation than by changing the type of rear brakes.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    No matter how I modulate pressing the brakes on the Fort, it lurches. So I don't know why to be honest. It's not my vehicle so I can't really have someone look at it and my brother finds it acceptable.

I do not suffer the same "lurching" on a 2011 Montero, and I don't feel the same sensation on my friend's Terra (I have also driven it and test driven one). So it really has something to do with tuning of the brakes that I find is the issue with my brother's Fortuner's rear drums. Whether it is something that is tuned "out" I do not know. That's why I think it is something that needs to mentioned as it came with my brother's 2.4G and it is still present even now, even after multiple PMS

I don't tend to do hard braking and do modulate my brake application but no matter what I do, it tends to pop up as an issue for me when driving the Fortuner with drum brakes (the current or previous gen).

That's really all I can say about it.

EDIT: Note, another uncle bought a Fortuner with rear disc already equipped and he has no "lurching" complains so I do think it was able to be sorted with the change out. I haven't driven his Fortuner to directly compare but he is as sensitive to such motions as my mother.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    Just want to confirm, your question pertaining to disc vs drum brakes is because the 2018 model comes with disc brakes right? But the 2016 model didn't come with them yet correct?

Reason I know, my brother owns the current Fortuner and bought during the first year it was out in our market. It only came with rear drums then. I think after a few months my brother got his, they launched the "update" with rear discs already.

If you "may" be sensitive to "lurching" during braking, then I personally would prefer the disc brakes over the ones with drum.

Reason is, at any "Reasonable" speed within the speed limit, just applying the brakes on the Fortuner with rear drums, there is no brake balance with the Fortuner when they came here. It will lurch forward because the front bites harder than the rears. I really hated it when I drove it and it was uncomfortable for my mother who is a "biyahilo".

This can be treated as anecdotal but this is my personal experience driving the Fortuner with rear drums, even the previous gen, I drove my uncles and it suffers from the same lurching sensation when you apply the brakes because of the brake balance being immediate in the front and the rear "taking its time".

If that is not an issue for you, then yes the V added features are definitely better than the G for the little to no price difference that you are mentioned.

same lang sir yan.. i have the fort with rear drum brakes.. and one time, i drove the fortuner of my officemate going to tagaytay yung kanya is the one with rear disc brakes.. same lang ng braking

yung brake force distribution, may valve yan sa rear na mag adjust when the car is loaded..

for me, masyadong sensitive yung brakes ng fortuner, konting tapak lang malakas agad ang kagat kaya pag mabigat paa mo, susubasob talaga mga sakay mo.. hehe

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    No matter how I modulate pressing the brakes on the Fort, it lurches. So I don't know why to be honest. It's not my vehicle so I can't really have someone look at it and my brother finds it acceptable.

I do not suffer the same "lurching" on a 2011 Montero, and I don't feel the same sensation on my friend's Terra (I have also driven it and test driven one). So it really has something to do with tuning of the brakes that I find is the issue with my brother's Fortuner's rear drums. Whether it is something that is tuned "out" I do not know. That's why I think it is something that needs to mentioned as it came with my brother's 2.4G and it is still present even now, even after multiple PMS

I don't tend to do hard braking and do modulate my brake application but no matter what I do, it tends to pop up as an issue for me when driving the Fortuner with drum brakes (the current or previous gen).

That's really all I can say about it.

EDIT: Note, another uncle bought a Fortuner with rear disc already equipped and he has no "lurching" complains so I do think it was able to be sorted with the change out. I haven't driven his Fortuner to directly compare but he is as sensitive to such motions as my mother.
    Try mo muna idrive both para maconfirm mo that the disc brakes solve the lurching.

Cuz I've driven both and have noticed no difference.

4. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Try mo muna idrive both para maconfirm mo that the disc brakes solve the lurching.

Cuz I've driven both and have noticed no difference.

It's not exclusive to me though. Even when my brother who doesn't mention or complain about it, even when he drives his Fort, there is still a lurching when we ride with him.

I can't really drive my uncle's Fort though (given present conditions), but like I said, even my mom acknowledges the existence of the lurching and she says if that is present in my uncle's Fort, he will be vocal about it. I know my uncle enough that he will tell me such. He has owned it for around three years.

My mom and I are a little sensitive to abrupt changes in direction (ie, we can easily get motion sickness, lugi sa theme parks sa rides. hehe). So that can also be why you didn't notice but my mom and I did. I am a little more able to handle it better while driving because I have control of the wheel, hence know the direction the car will go and may lean as I can the see road ahead. It's also why I avoid being a passenger even during road trips.

EDIT: I did say if TS doesn't notice or find it an issue (Having rear drums on the Fort), then go for the 2016 V model rather than the G. He did post just a while ago that he will test drive to see if he "notices" the lurching I am mentioning. If he doesn't then he can decide crossing out my concern.

EDIT 2: For yapoy86 - tinry ko na ibahin lahat ng klase ng tapak ko sa preno ng Fortuner. Wala talaga. Meron at meron. Naggive up na ako sa modulation kasi kahit anong modulate ko naramramdaman ko yung pag "Subsob" during braking.
    Nakamaneho naman ako ng ibang SUV pero wala, kung meron man "way" ako nagawa na walang subsob it is very light braking na almost parang asa ka sa engine braking sa manual (mapipilitan ka to coast a few feet before mag stop) even at low speed. Yun lang nakita ko sweet spot and it isn't practical application for me.

Unless yung tuning sa part sa side ng brake pedal yung issue kasi the first tap little to no strength ang brake, then move a little down some more and kagat na yung harap yung likod hindi pa. That's my experience with the Fortuner

5. Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Toyota Fortuner V 2.8 4x4 AT vs Isuzu mu-X LS-A 3.0 4x4 AT: Engine and The mu-X's interior is quite comfortable, but it does have this utilitarian look to it. of use when loading stuff, then the Fortuner V's powered tailgate will help Isuzu MU-X 2018 facelift: BS6-ready & 1.9L diesel engine, slated to be. to my point of view Toyota Fortuner is better than MUX 3.0, thank you.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456