New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    I suppose that'd be because the R18 is about as good as many 2.0's already. Just curious though, how does the R20 stack up against the old K20 in terms of performance? A friend of mine owns an FD 2.0S. With the use of paddle shifters, it was actually faster off the line than our J30 Accord, with the Accord going ahead only when hitting the triple digits.
    Hard to say. The new FB feels slower in general than the FD. We'll know soon how the numbers stack up on paper, but if the R20 is slower, half-the-reason will likely be that the FB chassis is heavier and with more economy-oriented ECU programming in general.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    So it really is just the lancer vs focus now, the 168hp of the focus just looks so good while the mitsubishi's vtec like mivec is oh well just as good.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    I suppose that'd be because the R18 is about as good as many 2.0's already.
    From my experience, the R18 is as powerful as most 2.0s, but the torque is sorely lacking. To get the same pull in traffic as our Altis gets at ~2-2.5k rpm, I have to rev the FD at roughly 3k.

But an FD with a manual tranny, damn, so much fun. Could definitely beat the Altis 2.0V in Tanay despite the latter having more power.

Too bad the FB's been dulled down. Now I don't know what's a good MT compact anymore. Probably the 1.8 MT Cruze, but I haven't driven it so I don't know if it feels too heavy.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    I guess we should also consider the 2.0L Altis. How well does it stack up against its 2.0L & 1.6L counterparts? Maybe a breakdown of the pros&cons of the current Asian compacts will help the TS.

2.0L - Focus, Civic, Altis, Lancer, Impreza
    1.8L - Civic, Elantra
    1.6L - Altis, Focus, Lancer, Elantra
    The altis is a good car overall but it doesnt exceed anything that i needed on my criteria. The elantra has a good motor but i heard that it felt a bit disconnected to the road.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by UsernameTaken View Post
    So it really is just the lancer vs focus now, the 168hp of the focus just looks so good while the mitsubishi's vtec like mivec is oh well just as good.
    From reviews, the power isn't actually the Focus' strong suit. Pretty disappointing considering it has almost 20hp more compared to other 2-liter compacts. Probably cuz it's so heavy.

Parang Tucson Theta II lang, 166 hp but noone's been raving about it, at least not any more than your "inferior" R20-powered, 150 hp CR-V.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    From my experience, the R18 is as powerful as most 2.0s, but the torque is sorely lacking. To get the same pull in traffic as our Altis gets at ~2-2.5k rpm, I have to rev the FD at roughly 3k.

But an FD with a manual tranny, damn, so much fun. Could definitely beat the Altis 2.0V in Tanay despite the latter having more power.

Too bad the FB's been dulled down. Now I don't know what's a good MT compact anymore. Probably the 1.8 MT Cruze, but I haven't driven it so I don't know if it feels too heavy.
    Oh well, high horsepower but lack of low end torque is the trademark of Honda engines. And then the exact opposite for most Toyota engines. I suppose there is no perfect car then. And then the Focus still has a reliability to prove at this time.

But then this Topgear article Hyundai PH to launch three new models at 2013 MIAS - News | TopGear.com.ph reports three new models to be launched by Hyundai. I wonder...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    From reviews, the power isn't actually the Focus' strong suit. Pretty disappointing considering it has almost 20hp more compared to other 2-liter compacts. Probably cuz it's so heavy.

Parang Tucson Theta II lang, 166 hp but noone's been raving about it, at least not any more than your "inferior" R20-powered, 150 hp CR-V.

Diba you have a 2.0 altis? How does it compare with the lancer in terms of engine power? So to put it in a nutshell, the best performance 2.0 is????

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Corolla 2.0 with the new CVT has fantastic performance. If all you want is straight line speed. But despite having better handling than before, the steering is still dull and the brakes are still not well suited to the power on tap. The Lancer and Focus brakes feel more steady in hard driving, despite both being heavier.

The Focus' issues are at low rpm. At high rpm, you can feel the extra kick of power.

If you want something that is fun to drive all-around, the Lancer MX with the CVT is pretty good. Not as quick off the line as the Corolla, but the CVT is responsive, the manual mode is satsifying and the handling is pretty good with the 18" wheels.

The 1.8 MT Cruze has some of the same issues as the 1.8 AT. Very long gearing, so you drop down very far in the powerband between shifts.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The Corolla 2.0 with the new CVT has fantastic performance. If all you want is straight line speed. But despite having better handling than before, the steering is still dull and the brakes are still not well suited to the power on tap. The Lancer and Focus brakes feel more steady in hard driving, despite both being heavier.

The Focus' issues are at low rpm. At high rpm, you can feel the extra kick of power.

If you want something that is fun to drive all-around, the Lancer MX with the CVT is pretty good. Not as quick off the line as the Corolla, but the CVT is responsive, the manual mode is satsifying and the handling is pretty good with the 18" wheels.

The 1.8 MT Cruze has some of the same issues as the 1.8 AT. Very long gearing, so you drop down very far in the powerband between shifts.

Why is the lancer slower than the altis despite having higher power and torque and both being CVT?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by UsernameTaken View Post
    Why is the lancer slower than the altis despite having higher power and torque and both being CVT?
    The Lancer is slower off-the-line because the ECU protects the CVT from hard launches. The Corolla can be "launched" hard and is lighter than the Lancer. But at speed, the Lancer has more power.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Mitsubishi Lancer GTa/ Ford Focus S/ Accent Crdi/ honda civic 2.0