New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I've already decided on getting a Vios UNTIL I came across the new Lancer and I was surprised that it had so many features for its price!

I know that these cars belong to different categories but I really need some feedback on which is the wiser purchase? My Budget is 750k net but I decided to stretch it to P800k for the Lancer. I plan to keep the car for a minimum of 5 years.

2013 Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 EX GLX MT
    Unit Price: 825,000
    Discount - 55,000
    Comprehensive Insurance with AOG
    3 yr. LTO Registration FREE
    NET: P770k

2013 Toyota Vios 1.3 G AT
    Unit Price: 747,000
    Discount - 40,000
    Comprehensive Insurance with AOG
    3 yr. LTO Registration FREE
    NET: P707k

My Mom also liked the Lancer even though it was above the budget (which is rare since she always prefers the cheaper option). It seems to have a larger interior space than my Altis (Trunk space is not good though) I also like the 8-Inch LCD Monitor with Touch Screen Interface and Front Dual Stage SRS Airbags for Driver and Passenger. It also looks sporty and fun to drive. I really like the look of the Lancer. My very good friend is against my purchase because he says that Mitsubishi has reliability issues. Also, the EX came out on 2008 and yet there are few units on the road compared to the Altis and Civic. He says that this may be a problem in 5 or 10 years because shops may not keep its parts on stock and it will be difficult to buy surplus. So it will be expensive and hard for me to maintain the Lancer in 5 years or so. I also heard that Mitsubishi is not so good with after sales service. I can't buy the AT for the Lancer because it's above the budget and I've been told that it's malakas sa gas.

The Vios on the other hand is smaller but it has the Toyota badge of reliability. It's cheap, practical and easy to maintain. I'd assume that it's indestructible much like my big body corolla (which made me a Toyota fan). I've also built a good relationship with the people at the casa and I know that my car is taken cared of. I really hate the center gauge (?) it makes me dizzy. BUT I might learn to love the Vios if it gets me to save a lot on fuel cost. I've never owned an automatic car but I chose this for the Vios since I figured it'll still be cheap and easy to maintain even if it's an AT. I didn't choose the 1.5 G AT since I'm getting a Vios for its practicality and I don't need its additional power or features anymore.

I really trust my friend's judgement but there's really a side of me that wants the Lancer so bad! If I get the Lancer I'll have fun driving it but I won't have peace of mind. If I get the Vios, it's not fun but I'll have peace of mind. I googled on the EX Lancer but couldn't get much feedback on its usual problems so I'd like to know if it's a good purchase for someone like me whose priority is reliability and ease of maintainance.

Another option for me would be to wait for the full model change of the Vios? It's supposed to come out real soon, isn't it?
    Last edited by _Cathy_; January 22nd, 2013 at 06:27 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Im pretty sure its a 1.3 G and not a 1.3 E.
    Last edited by lowslowbenz; January 22nd, 2013 at 05:54 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The G is around 820 so I guess that's the fairer comp.

I have a Vios but if I had the moolah to choose I'd get the Lancer

4. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    i have the lancer ex mt for almost 3months now and I dont have any issues encountered with it thus far. against the vios, i cant say kasi I did not consider it the time I was looking for a car..fuel consumption hands down vios. power for the ex, roomier backseats, smaller trunk thou..reliability, I would say mitsubishi is not far behind sa toyota..they are number 2 here at least in terms of sales..wala din naman ako prob sa after sales..after ko magpa 1k checkup, tinawagan ako the next day ng casa kung meron daw ba prob sa checkup nila..binalik ko kasi I thought there was an oil leak, turns out wala naman..tinawagan ulit ako after nila i check para kumustahin..i guess that is good service..I am not sure kung bakit mawawalan ka ng peace of mind if in case you choose the lancer..its a good car..

saka ang laki ng discount nila ngayon ah..nung kumuha ako eh 47k lang discount :D

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That was my budget for a car (800K) and i got the Corolla 1.6E m/t. :D (806K less 20K that time)... of course not as much extras as the Lancer but i prefer 6-speeds and needed more trunk space for my needs.

On Vios versus Lancer... Lancer for me.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    2013 Mitsubishi Lancer EX 1.6 GLX - Honest Car Reviews Philippines

One thing I really hate about the Vios is the seating position. It took me a long time to get used to it. It's able to swallow 5 hefty adults plus two grade-school kids (and two big maletas) without bottoming out though
    Last edited by JohnM; January 22nd, 2013 at 06:32 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    That was my budget for a car (800K) and i got the Corolla 1.6E m/t. :D (806K less 20K that time)... of course not as much extras as the Lancer but i prefer 6-speeds and needed more trunk space for my needs.

On Vios versus Lancer... Lancer for me.
    I already have a 1.6 G M/T Altis and it really is a good car. It's trunk space seems to be double of the Lancer's, shallow kasi yung trunk space ng Lancer.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    Im pretty sure its a 1.3 G and not a 1.3 E.
    Thanks. I edited the typo.

Quote Originally Posted by JengSaj View Post
    I am not sure kung bakit mawawalan ka ng peace of mind if in case you choose the lancer..its a good car..

saka ang laki ng discount nila ngayon ah..nung kumuha ako eh 47k lang discount :D
    47k is really the standard discount for the Lancer up until now. The Lancer is not as prolific as the Vios so my concern would be the availability of parts and the mechanics familiar with the car 5 or 10 years down the line.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    One thing I really hate about the Vios is the seating position.
    +1. Got used to it too.

And then I really got to appreciate the comfy-ness of a Benz seat ..

10. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    lancer for me. wala ka dapat ikatakot sa reliability ng mitsubishi. for me halos same lang sila ng toyota

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast