New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I would buy the MS over the Fort just because I saw less of it when I was in Manila for vacation. The Fort was so common to see in every corner and I just saw maybe 2 of the MS. It makes the ride more unique and you don't have D4D problem to contend with along with the carjackers. Just because it's 10 years old doesn't make it bad. The design may old but the car he is buying is still brand new and not used as others have made it appear.

2. Join Date
    May 2004
    WE have the Montero Sport here as Mitsu Challenger (Jap version basically), and yes it comes in petrol and diesel variants as well. I did consider it when I was looking for an SUV but I ended up with a Toyota Surf/Forerunner.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hay... ang hirap...

Personally... if the "D4D issue" is that much of a problem for him, why not a VVTi? Despite the harsh ride, the Fortuner, to me, is a much better vehicle than the Montero in terms of space and handling.

Why not a Hyundai Santa Fe? Even if he isn't really considering it, try to get him into a showroom to see one. The Kia Sorento might not have enough seats, but it's also a great choice in this budget range, and leaves a lot of change from the purchase.

If he really isn't into the Koreans, point out that their engine architecture is derived from Mitsubishi's diesels (well, sort of) and the citations the Santa Fe is getting. If you can get him into one for a test drive, that's half the battle.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    yup i agree with niky here, just get the 2.7 vvti engine of the fortuner and be satisfied with it tpos na problema nyo .... plus its just arpunf 1.3m less than the 1.5m budget

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Unfortunately, Toyota does not offer the VVTi with a front axle. That's about as stupid as Mitsubishi not offering front drive on the Pajero FM. They could have at least offered the feature as an extra cost option.

In other markets you can get a Fortuner in all sorts of configurations including a 'base' model.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    hmm maybe the vvti is not enough para mag 4wd? im not sure hehe

and besides, i really dont see any need for a 4wd mechanism here in the philippines .... we had lots of 4x4 suvs before and we RARELY needed the 4wd mechanism ... nandyan lang siya para pampabigat at madagdagan yung parts na pwde masira in the future

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The VVTi is available in 4wd in other markets. It is also available in a basic model. With manual a/c, steel rims, cloth seats, no roof rails, etc.

Granted that few SUV's actually venture off the beaten path, it would still be nice if they offered the option to configure as needed because some of us actually need the extra traction afforded by four driven wheels. Mas impractical/magastos pa if you acquire another vehicle solely for off-road use. And if you're on a budget, the off-road vehicle you will get will not exactly be desirable for daily use. Wala naman added development costs. Since the front drive system of the Fortuner and the Montero (including the Pajero) are already in existence and are considered 'off-the-shelf' parts already. They just have to charge the buyer for the additional feature.

Mahirap nga lang i-retrofit and 4wd once the vehicle has left the assembly line. Unlike the Patrol GU that only calls for a shifter, a driveshaft and front hubs.

As it is, the MS is one of the least expensive (after incentives) diesel-powered, 4wd wagons you can buy. The other one being Kia's Sorento. But it did give up an airbag and ABS+EBD to undercut the competition.
    Last edited by OTEP; December 19th, 2006 at 02:40 PM.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    I have seen VVTI Fortuner 4x4 in Singapore. (It is the only engine option available there. D4-D is not sold in Singapore, at least that was the case last year). Also from pics in Thai forums, they also have it in Thailand.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Ayaw nga nya kasi ng gasoline engine kasi mahal ang gasoline compared to diesel. Bumaba pala ng 2 pesos yun presyo ng fuel yesterday. He doesn't want korean made cars even though sabi nya ok na daw gawa ngayon ng hyundai and kia. Kung pwede lang gasoline engine pinilit ko na sya sa camry, o kaya sa grandis pero diesel talaga gusto e.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    hehehe hes making the choices hard for himself hehe

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Mitsu Montero