New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Hi!

Pinagpipilian kasi namin ito ng erpat ko. alin ba ang mas maganda? in regards sa engine quality and comfy ride?

and by the way,

this would be our first time to buy a sedan. heheh. my dad already owns a pick-up and an SUV.

manual transmission. A/T is a big no for us.

this would be my office car. Val to Eastwood. 50kms total (going there and going back. every weekdays.)

for city driving only.

ayaw sana namin istretch yung budget to 1mil+.so we narrowed down our options with these 2 cars. We will soon check toyota altis later.

Thanks in advance for you kind opinions.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    My parents have both cars - my dad drives a CY4A Lancer EX GT, my mom an FD1 Civic 1.8V A/T. There's very little to choose between them in the criteria you mentioned.

I would recommend the Lancer between the two though. The interior's less well-polished compared to the Civic, but the Lancer is the better drive, and it's more wieldy in city driving situations due to better visibility (the GT/GT-A's huge rear wing aside).

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Personally I'd prefer the Civic 1.8S. IMHO the GLX Lancer is too expensive (because of the 2-liter engine). It has less features than the 1.8S and Mitsubishi has been unabashed in establishing that it's the base model.

Also, the sporty look of the Lancer seen on the GT/GT-A models looks awkward on the GLX, because of the smaller rims. The body ends up looking too big for the wheels.

And interior-wise, the Civic interior beats the Lancer interior hands down, especially with the wood trim on the GLX. And really, the GLX/GLS models are not what the Lancer EX truly is. Whenever I see a GLX/GLS on the road, it looks like a very stripped down lancer. Personally I'd stay away from the Lancer EX if it's not the GT/GT-A.

Furthermore, the Civic also has a more efficient engine than the Lancer, which would be vital for you as you drive 50 km a day. It may be down a little on power because of the lesser displacement, but in city speeds, you wouldn't even notice. And the R18 in itself is a powerful engine even if it's just a 1.8. More than enough for most I would say.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Also was deciding between the 1.8S MT and the Lancer EX GLX 2.0 a couple of months ago:

The EX really has the exclusivity factor since you hardly see them around, tsaka medyo headturner yung body.

However, parang tama kasi yung sinabi ni jut - Mitsu made the mistake(?) of differentiating the GT/A models with the GLX/S models too much.

Ang laki ng difference exteriorwise and interiorwise eh. If they only retained the interior of the GT/A models on the GLX/S instead of the horrible wood trims (that are fine on the Camry but not on a LANCER), and some of the electronic gauges that the GLX/S lacks, I woulda given the GLX a 2nd look. Kapag exterior, kayanin naman yan ng body shop e haha.

I like the stock seats though. Antigas ng Civic seats (Seatmate seatcovers solved that).

Picked the Civic. Joined the gazillions of FDs on the road, pero at least enjoy haha.

(Not saying that the Lancer sucks - it doesn't and even edges out the Civic in some categories, pero IMO, the Civic feels more 'complete' overall compared to the lower end Lancer variants)
    Last edited by mda; January 12th, 2010 at 07:45 PM.