New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    First step would be to take a test drive, or borrow a friend's unit if possible. Better if you could spend a couple days with it. Take it to work, use it the way you would fitting your normal schedule. If you're still not decided, take a closer look at each car's components and how they perform. Acceleration, on the straights, the turns, etc. The tranny, turbo, brakes, steering, NVH levels, features like EBD, ABS, etc.

Black smoke is not normal for all modern diesels. I've seen practically all makes blow black smoke. Most of the time it's just a clogged air filter and/or sooted up cat converter (which some makes don't have) which you can remove. I'm not really sure if the EGR really does burn off NOx in the exhaust.

Yes, there is a Navara Club Philippines.

The Strada is a good car, I wouldn't mind having one. For me the basic difference between the two is a compromise between a bit more comfort and a bit more sports car. Both trucks have their pros and cons, but in the end you'll always go with what you're comfortable with, and getting to know that will take time.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nismo26 View Post
    sir, from davao ka pala?

Wala atang test drive sa mitsu, ewan ko lang sa nissan...

For now, very kind yung Kar Asia Davao, They're giving 35% discount on parts and 50% discount on detailing..

On warranty claim naman, the club can help you...
    Galing akong kar asia davao kanina in fairness very accomodating ang SA nila ha. pina on the spot test drive agad ako dun nga lang sa loob ng casa pero nakailang ikot lang ako.lol. bukas sa nissan naman,
    Thanks sa mga info. at suggestions mga sir..

3. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    to the TS...

try to consider also THE FAMILY in choosing the car... being a family man, i chose the truck that will not only make me happy but also my wife and kids... though i am alone most of the time in the truck (strada), i also asked them what would be the best among these pickups (i also asked them to rank the choices):

my preference:
    1. strada gls sport 4x4 AT
    2. navara 4x4 AT
    3. ranger 4x4 AT

my wife's:
    1. strada
    2. ranger
    3. navara

kids:
    1. strada
    2. didnt bother to look at other models

i think my wife made a decision based on looks only... hehe... but it was a unanimous decision... i would have loved owning the navara or the ranger... but... i dont have money to buy TWO trucks...

here are my reasons for choosing the strada over the competition:
    0. COMFORTABLE RIDE (ako ang hatid sundo ng kids -- madamot si misis sa oto niya hehe)
    1. lsd (malaking bagay dito sa baguio)
    2. abs+ebd
    3. 4 star crash test score
    4. airbags (even for lower variants)
    5. big cabin space (my brother is a 6 footer and he is very comfortable driving it)
    6. high clearance (tagabundok siyak)
    7. small turning radius
    8. the small bed wasnt an issue since i dont use it for business, i just want a new truck hehe
    9. rear power window, this is the most trivial but coolest feature hahahaha
    10. rear fog lights
    11. timing chain for the 3.2 version
    12. eto ang icing on the cake (the strada club philippines)
    13. another icing on the cake, i work in a university at pag nakapark ako katabi nung bagong ranger, navara, dmax and hilux, yung strada ang laging tinuturo ng mga studyante (karamihan mga chicks hehe)... nasusuka na lang sila pag ako ang nakita nilang driver... bwahahahahahaha...
    14. last, the wife was pleasantly surprised when i told her that it was the cheapest... may additional pogi points pa ako...

problems so far:
    1. steering column change because of the lagutok (mukhang ok naman na)
    2. squeaking leaf spring (lahat ba ng trucks ganito?) though honestly, i dont mind
    3. small dimples on the tailgate... kainis, dahil siguro sa mga tuhod...

so far, after 6 months.... no other problems... still waiting for the SCV problem thingy... but my SA told me that the current 3.2 has a different (bigger) SCV... and this problem is also connected/due to poor quality of diesel here...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzipino View Post
    Now who's gonna man up and list a few problems with the starda? Or is it quite simply, mechanically and cosmetically perfect? ;)
    The Strada has a lot of quality issues. Outsourcing installation of their accessories to a !*#$% company is one of the issues.
    Last edited by Walter; January 21st, 2011 at 08:54 AM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Lets wait and see na lang...

Yung ibang strada owner nasa 200k kms na..
    Timing belt, SCV, Pad & Disc replacement...

So far yun lang naging probs nila...
    No engine and turbo failure...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nismo26 View Post
    Lets wait and see na lang...

Yung ibang strada owner nasa 200k kms na..
    Timing belt, SCV, Pad & Disc replacement...

So far yun lang naging probs nila...
    No engine and turbo failure...
    How about the Stradas recurring steering column issue and the alarm issue??

Ive known navara 100k+ kms without any issues. IMO its not only the mileage that counts, its how the owner uses the machine. I think that garett turbo on that Navara died because of abusive use/ modifications?.. hehe.. And the other one failing clutch is a consumable part that can be replaced with stronger parts under warranty.

I could see the Strada following Toyotas in the dying/stalling Engine- issue because of SCV. Although Navara uses the same Denso HP3 pump, i could not confirm how exactly they are the same with Toyota and Strada.
    I havent heared yet of Navara with failing SCV locally.. Maybe its because the engine is rated Euro3 (Euro2 for Strada) with different SCV's?

Tama lets wait and see na lang, considering the Strada was launched almost 2yrs ahead of Navara. Only time can tell.

Ang hirap talaga mamili ngayon, dami factors icoconsider ng buyer.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    to the thread starter.....just check out the respective threads here of the owners of the said vehicles.....everything there is documented...then you make the decision.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    I have been a "lurker" on this website for quite some time now, and now that I have registered it is only fitting that I post my first post in this thread because I own both of the models in comparison here.

It's a balance between business and pleasure, or whichever set of keys I find the quickest in the morning. After buying both the Strada and the Navara I was able to make my own conclusions. Here's my detailed take:

Exterior Looks - Strada has nice and sporty curves which looks good especially with aftermarket mods, however it is the Navara which looks more macho, more aggressive, more elegant and more commanding. It looks more luxurious than the Strada, which for me is a big +1. They say looks are subjective but as I've read on many forums worldwide it is the Navara that is often #1 when compared to the L200/Triton etc. The Strada (L200/Triton) is often branded a "hairdressers car" in other parts of the world, luckily not here sa Pinas.

Interior Looks - Strada sporty mixes of black and silver. Navara luxurious with cream/tan interior. Each to their own for this one.

Power/Speed - Navara not only wins on paper but it is hands down the faster of the two (I've lost count how many times I've raced the Strada vs my brother and vice versa) sometimes I drive the Strada and the Navara is always the winner. But the deep clutch of the Navara is annoying when "racing" head to head with the Strada because you have to press down lower than the Stradas but still the Navara prevails with its power alone. Power is for me neck and neck. No clear winner - maybe because I can't judge which one is more powerful, but on paper the Navara is more powerful but in reality who knows.

Comfort - Strada wins this one. No brainer. The x factor for the Strada winning the comparison is the more reclined back seats. For me this isn't a major factor which would make me buy a Strada over a Navara but it's good to have.

Bang for buck - People would tend to go for the Strada since it's cheaper but as I own both and can decide for myself which one I prefer it would be a tie or the Navara. Why Navara? It's more pricey than the Strada 4x4 but there is reason for it's price tag. One reason is for its more powerful engine than the Strada, the additional pesos you pay for the Navara you get more Torque, you decide not to pay the additional then the Strada is for you. The Navara also has a bigger bed so you are paying for more and in my field of business every inch counts as I load up both trucks.

Problems with both trucks - My Strada is on 33,XXX and Navara is on 49,XXX. After I bought the Navara I was hunting for another pickup so I thought to give the Strada a try, but it has given me more problems than the Navara (and the same with a family friend who lives on the same street as me). For the Navara I have encountered a clutch problem which I think is due to it's deep push. The Strada I have encountered steering problems, rack and pinion, countless electrical problems inside, alarm problems and a few build issues with the interior. The interior really is not anything to boast about. It feels CHEAP. Don't get me wrong I'm trying to be as impartial as possible but how can one explain having panels call off and seats squeeking and making weird noises at only 5,000kms and having Mitsubishi suggesting I need to pay P11,XXX to have it fixed!! Out of the two the Navara really is built tough, I have read about it's engine problems and clutch problems but mostly in the UK which I think is built elsewhere than the one here (?). My friend who owns a 4x2 Strada experienced kalampag at 12,XXXkms, he's now in the process of selling it.

PMS - They say the Strada is the most expensive, but the Navara isn't that much cheaper. Yes Strada is more expensive but not by much. But I guess paying initially for a cheaper pickup, it will eventually come back to haunt when you have the PMS's. But really it isn't that much expensive like some people say.

Quality - Cheaper feel to the Strada interior is a -1 for me. The Navara isn't great neither but it's better than the Strada. The exterior rear bed seems stronger and solid in the Navara than the Strada, shutting the rear door alone feels more rigid and more quality in the Navara. Quality in paintwork also goes to the Navara and Nissan. The paint Mitsu seems to use seems quite thin and not as heavy as the Navara. Quality underchassis parts is also neck and neck for me, we recently replaced the suspension on both units and had a chance to see under the body and both seemed well assembled and both looks like they can battle up there with the best 4x4's out there.

4x4 Off-Roading - IMHO I did most of my off-roading in my Strada. Why? Not because it's the best off-roader, but instead because it looks the part when off-roading. It's looks makes you want to take it off-road and surge up rough terrain whereas the Navara looks more elegant and luxurious so you don't want to put it through off-roading conditions. But the times when I did take the Navara off-road it did the business naman, alot has been said of it's low ground clearance but depends on where you take it. Power and hauling in off-road (bundok) conditions is pretty even can't seem to differentiate any from the two.

Final Comments - I think Strada is a great bang for buck pickup because its cheap. Alot of opinions are usually one-sided meaning they own one and drive it everyday but he other they've sat in it a handful of times and can't really make an accurate conclusion. As I own both, a club member of neither, I make my own detailed conclusions and for me the Navara comes out on top. If you read reviews around the world, forums around the world, the Navara ticks most of the boxes and is preferred to the Strada/L200/Triton but I don't regret buying one because the Strada is IMHO better than the Ranger/Hilux/Dmax but unfortunately not better than the Navara. More sales, more Stradas on the road is not equal to the Strada being a better truck than the rest. And as for the smoke from Navara, my Strada occasionally spews out black smoke but it isn't fatal. Heck I've seen new monteros, fortuners spew out the same smoke as the navaras do, but really it isn't a problem just for the Navara only but instead a generic problem which some encounter.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    wew..thanks for the comments mga sir!!next month post ko dito ang pics ng napili ko busy pa kasi pag asikaso sa oathtaking eh,sorry OT..thnx btw.good day.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    both units are what your looking for hope it helps :sumo:

3.2at and 2.5at all stock tires and units

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_7t22xsRGc"]YouTube - Mt Tapulao Navara & Strada Offroading[/ame]

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
MIT. STRADA 3.2GLS 4X4 A/T or 2.5 NISSAN NAVARA CRDi 4x4 A/T