New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    hello,

i bought my car early this year. i bought a brand new honda jazz. i'm quite happy with its performance especially its fuel efficiency. unfortunately i had some minor accidents this end of the year. the first accident is when a strong wind hit our gate and caused it to slam into the rear bumper of my car. the damage was very minimal, but when i had it inspected, the estimate reached to 25,000 pesos. the second accident was when i forgot to lift the handbrake and the front-end hit a mound of dirt. this time the cost amounted to 60,000 pesos. the radiator, compressor, bumper had to be replaced. its a good thing that i have comprehensive insurance. however, i remember this story that i watched from cbs news. according to the story, newer cars particularly small cars are very expensive to repair compared to older cars. so i searched the internet for some information about this and found this links:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...in;contentBody

http://www.caradvice.com.au/9783/sma...r-costs-study/

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...in;contentBody

the figures here may not apply to the philippines, but i think that if we share our experiences, maybe we could get a rough idea on how much it is to repair the cars available here.

honestly, i regret that this didn't come to my mind when i purchased my car. i hope that this thread may be of help to those purchasing their cars to consider the cost of repair before buying a car. yes, i agree that if you have a comprehensive insurance this won't matter as much. but, the time of repair is also a lot longer and really is a hassle.

thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Strikes and collision damage are taken very seriously and

should never be compared to normal wear and tear maintenance

requirements.

They are two very different services. There is no way to consider

your next collision experience and next collision repair requirements.

While PMS service is absolute within the warranty period.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    another link, this is the most comprehensive so far.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/bumpersb...erModels=False

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    is it because the parts are so close to one another? that, in the event of a crash, more parts get damaged, compared to larger cars whose parts components are not as close to one another?
    i remember seeing a local vehicle... they were removing the front bumper to get at the part hiding behind it...
    also, there is the fact that sometimes, the cost of repair is artificially high, in favor of the casa..
    kuha na lang tayo ng revo.. napakalapad ng espasyo sa harap.. kay daling pukpukin..

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The cost is because of the way new cars are built, overall.

Parts are packaged more closely together, to conserve space. The deformable areas are bigger for better pedestrian impact protection... so parts that would previously not be affected by minor strikes will now crumple. More plastic is being used in front and in the rear to lessen weight and cost in construction... Big plastic front and rear fascias with integrated lights are harder to dismantle and assemble, and even harder to repair (sometimes the only solution for such big areas of plastic is replacement... adhesives will not suffice).

-

If all you care about is cheap collision repair... you can buy older vehicles, which have cheaper spares. Unfortunately, even if a Crosswind is three times the weight of a Honda Jazz... it's nowhere near 1/2 as safe, either in terms of impact protection or active accident avoidance.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    mahal talaga mag maintain ng honda naexperience ko din yan kaya nga lumipat ako ng toyota, mas ok mura spare parts

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Keep in mind that the estimates are way overinflated also if they know you are using insurance.

If your shop knows you're paying out of pocket, they won't charge as much.

Just like how some hospitals overcharge patients who pay with insurance.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Keep in mind that the estimates are way overinflated also if they know you are using insurance.

If your shop knows you're paying out of pocket, they won't charge as much.

Just like how some hospitals overcharge patients who pay with insurance.
    Agree, amen..

Minor Crash Cost of Repair, Consider these before buying.