New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Considering that both of them are Made in Japan, then I suppose quality and reliability will not be a major problem at all.

However.....

If you are one kind of buyer who considers features and item amenities, then the Legacy 2.0 is quite hard to swallow.

After my visit to the Edsa-Shaw dealer, I found that the Legacy 2 liter only has:

-4 speed A/T
    -No steering wheel audio controls (but has cruise control )
    -Audio system is not yet top-of-the-line.
    -Illumination meter gauges are not Optitron/black-out.

I was dismayed indeed and figured that it doesn't give much advantage compared to an Accord or a Cefiro. Thank goodness that someone reported that MotorImage Pilipinas would release the 3.0 R variant before Christmas. Heck, without the 3.0 R, Subaru won't be able to win me over and choose a Legacy. When it comes to executive sedan category, I may just choose the Leagacy 3.0 R (sedan or station wagon EXCLUDING outback*) in a heartbeat

In the end, I'll say that unless they really bring out the Legacy 3.0 R within the end of the year, the Mazda 6 2.3 liter would be the better option.

*Legacy Outback is NOT the exact wagon derivative of the Legacy but is rather a crossover-wagon hyrbid (like the Volvo XC70 which is a crossover version of the V70 estate)

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Like I said... pictures pa lang, kita mo kung saan sila nag-delete ng options to bring the price down to realistic ranges.

Okay on the WRX, because you don't buy the car for a comfortable interior... you buy it to go fast.

But on an executive mid-sizer like the Legacy? Not a good thing... And a 4-AT plus AWD versus Mazda's torquier engine with a 5AT? Definitely no contest for speed and efficiency.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    mazda 6 - better engine, manual mode 5a/t, good handling... cheaper by 100k pa... plus the pogi points

4. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Mazda6.

~our road conditions doesnt really command you to use AWD.
    ~hp is available at lower RPM.
    ~bodykit
    ~price

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    Well, considering you're coming from an STi, no duh. A Mazda 6 is a midsize vehicle, and can't hold as much lateral acceleration as a compact like an STi. And a Prelude on possibly old tires and the original suspension versus an STi on new and much stickier rubber? Errh....

Good tires on both FWD and AWD? Depends on the cars in question. My point was that the Mazda6 and Legacy are comparable in handling and safety, and since the difference in safety would come down to the tires, consider that the Mazda6 already comes on sticky Potenzas.

But if the question were Mazda6 (or any other midsize car) versus an Impreza (even just the "regular" 230 hp WRX they're selling), there's no question which I'd pick... Scooby all the way!
    My humble opinion, since i was able to drive both the legacy and the 2006 mazda 6 V6 couple of weeks ago, i think you are partly right about competitivenes of mazda to AWD legacy but on tight turns, winding road, wet and slippery road, snow, its a totally different story. And on the reliability department everybody knows that subie is far more reliable than mazda. ( CONSUMERS GUIDE, CNN MONEY ETC. ) By the way 2 of my current rides are 04 wrx sti, 3.0 legacy outback. Ive been a subie converts for like 7 years now.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    If I got my facts straight, just 165 hp 19.1 kg-m won't be able to maximize the benefits of AWD in a midsize car. Having to split such power and torque to 4 wheels and carry a car that isn't a lightweight will certainly do no good to its performance and efficiency. The engine will simply struggle and the car will be less quick and economical compared to a FWD equivalent.

Which brings me to this question, "What do you need AWD for?"

Handling-wise, the Legacy will do well, but with only that much engine potential, AWD is practically useless. Yes, 4 wheels will turn, but just how much force will turn them? If you have a much torquier, more powerful motor, it's all a different story. Now the other 2 wheels will be needed as the first 2 can only handle so much.

The Mazda 6 handles very well despite being FWD, thanks to its newfound chassis engineering. It also comes with traction control, which is enough for its engine capability, thus no need to drive the rear wheels.

The Legacy is no off-roader either. Its low ground clearance won't see itself climbing mountains, and will likely do even worse than the likes of the RAV 4 and CR-V. Besides, there's the Forester anyway (if ever it's sold here).

Lastly, we don't experience winter so we won't need 4WD to deal with the snow.

No prize for guessing which car I'm voting for.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Test drive a Subaru on any road, any weather, whatever driving style you have...and you'll know, you will feel the difference. With all due respect to Mazda 626, i'l go for the legacy.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by imprezawrxsti
    My humble opinion, since i was able to drive both the legacy and the 2006 mazda 6 V6 couple of weeks ago, i think you are partly right about competitivenes of mazda to AWD legacy but on tight turns, winding road, wet and slippery road, snow, its a totally different story. And on the reliability department everybody knows that subie is far more reliable than mazda. ( CONSUMERS GUIDE, CNN MONEY ETC. ) By the way 2 of my current rides are 04 wrx sti, 3.0 legacy outback. Ive been a subie converts for like 7 years now.
    Remember, we're talking about the bread-and-butter 2.0 AT Legacy, here... not one on stickies.

And yes, I've driven my Mazda... errh... Ford... well, it is a Mazda... on wet and slippery roads, and it communicates traction very well and loses grip progressively... and it'll carve up a mountainside quite nicely despite the lack of poke. At the speeds and situations where it'd actually give up the ghost, you're going too fast for even AWD to save you. I get a tickle out of a particular post on the Subie boards about the kid who lost control of his WRX at "only" 80 mph... in the Suburbs. Stupid kid.

Like I said re: Prelude at 90... it's all about the tires... with one caveat... the driver should know what the heck he's doing.

It's still not a 6, though... and, kulit, the 6 is not a 626 either. I've got an old 626 sitting in my garage. It's a nice, stiff, well-controlled car, but absolute rubbish in the twisties, with slow steering, lots of understeer and a skitterish rear end. The 6 is quite different, communicative, composed and very good.

While it's no match for a 2.5T or a 3.0 Legacy, that's not what you're getting for the same money. For the same money as the 6, you're getting a 2.0 AT... no turbo.

Props on the 3.0 Legacy, though... that particular variant is one of my dream cars. But the one they're selling here. I'll pass. At least they weren't so mean as to start the line with the 1.6 Impreza. That one is dog-slow, with horrible economy... I'd probably buy one myself...

-----

RE: Consumers Guide, Consumer Reports, etcetera, to be taken with a grain of salt. They say that Mazdas and Nissans are very reliable, too... the Protege was on their recommend list for over five years.
    Last edited by niky; July 26th, 2006 at 04:42 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Ot:

buti ka pa niky nasayo pa 626 mo. i miss the long hood of my 626.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Haaaay... too bad we don't use it anymore. It's kind of redundant now that we have the RS, pickup and the Crosswind... I'm sad to admit, I don't have the money to take care of four cars at once...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Mazda6 2.3L or Subaru Legacy 2.0L