New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    we also had the same situation before (i.e. looking for a FAMILY sedan) and though the Mazda6 was considered, para sa amin ay masyadong sporty ito to satisfy our requirements for a family sedan (i.e. space, comfortable ride, fuel economy). our short list was trimmed between the camry and the sonata and after a series of test drives with the family and a lot of pencil pushing, we ended up with the 3.3 V6 sonata, only because we got it at about $500 cheaper than the well equipped Corolla S (Yes, cheaper than a Corolla).

so, if you're torn just between the mazda 6 & the camry, i suggest you choose based on your primary purpose (i.e. to be used as a family sedan), of which my vote goes to the camry.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hmmm... tough choice... but I'll go with the Mazda6.

Its handling is topnotch (not a surprise really - this is a Mazda) providing an acceptable ride comfort even with those low-profile 17" tires.

If you are a young family (a couple + kids), then the Mazda6 is just right for you. The only time that you'll be hearing complaints from the backseat is when you have a 250 lbs & 6"0 kid out in the back sharing space with his two other siblings.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Im not a fan of toyota but the new camry is good...

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I'm in the same predicament as you, meaning I'm choosing between these same two vehicles with roughly the same primary purpose, a sedan that has decent looks, value and performance but will serve as a family-mobile.

Initially the Mazda6 was very appealing to me:

- Great test-drive impressions, sporty performance, comfortable ride, great look that hasn't been overexposed yet ala the fortuner around every corner. And, I LOVE that key. He he.

- Better value with regard to package, with all the standard equipment at a LOT less dough than the camry, especially when you factor in the promos and you come out with a much cheaper price tag.

- Availability. Camrys are just plain hard to come by, in any trim level.

However, here are the reasons why I pick the camry:

- The major downside to a Mazda6 is the fact that spy shots of the new generation Mazda6 have already hit the net, the most recent on edmunds inside line web site, where the car is much better in every regard. My initially great value will suddenly take a huge hit in depreciation once the new one comes out, rumored to be spring of next year. Your car will suddenly look old right away after less than a year of use. The new one will also have newer features (albeit at a higher price tag). Of course, if you don't care about having the latest thing and don't really plan to sell the car for a while anyway, and you're happy with the current 6, then its not a big deal.

- Reliability/Resale. I've had Mazdas in the US and while they were okay reliability-wise, they still had problems that my toyotas never had. In recent consumer reports, mazda6 cars were rated as average-below average in reliability. Also, parts for toyotas are absolutely more available at more places than Mazdas. It may seem like a small difference, seeing as few Mazda6 owners here have had that many problems, but its still early (3 years into the model cycle). My 1997 camry keeps humming along and still gets 7.5 km/liter, with nary a repair needed.

- Main purpose. I'm going to bring my family around often, and the Mazda6 seemed cramped for a family of 4+yaya. The camry gets a nice balance of looks, nice ride, and decent performance. I'm realistic with the knowledge that I'm not going to race the teenagers in their souped up minicars. Been there done that. Not that the camry can't go fast, but in Manila roads and traffic, who does that that often anyway? Mas pansin din sya just from reactions of people I'm with at different times. Maganda daw Mazda6, but they literally get wide-eyed at seeing a Camry.

That's just my opinion, but hopefully it helps you out a bit.

By the way, here are the differences between the V and G. The V adds:

Wood grain panels
    Tri-color display
    Leather seats/trim
    Power sunshade
    Power front seats
    Power reclining rear seats
    Rear controls for sunshade/audio/AC/recline
    Cruise control
    Immobilizer
    Auto-on headlights
    Rain sensing wipers

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Hi Guys!

Thanks for the replies!

Anyway, I'm inclined to get the Camry 2.4V if everything will work out well! Seems better for our family since most of us are biggies too.

BTW, saw a Black Camry 2.4V with 20's on, ang ganda!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slamtaz View Post
    we also had the same situation before (i.e. looking for a FAMILY sedan) and though the Mazda6 was considered, para sa amin ay masyadong sporty ito to satisfy our requirements for a family sedan (i.e. space, comfortable ride, fuel economy). our short list was trimmed between the camry and the sonata and after a series of test drives with the family and a lot of pencil pushing, we ended up with the 3.3 V6 sonata, only because we got it at about $500 cheaper than the well equipped Corolla S (Yes, cheaper than a Corolla).

so, if you're torn just between the mazda 6 & the camry, i suggest you choose based on your primary purpose (i.e. to be used as a family sedan), of which my vote goes to the camry.
    OT
    Is that in the Philippines? How's the performance of the 3.3L V6 Sonata over there? Here, it's not lightning quick. But, it's frisky enough to bring a smile when pushed hard and surprisingly well-composed at high speeds.

I already mentioned earlier here about favoring the 4-cyl Camry over the 4-cyl Mazda 6. But, if we moved to RP, I'd buy the 3.3L V6 Sonata all over again.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; July 25th, 2007 at 05:10 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    The New Camry sucks if you get the 2.4 variants (it is only a killer if you go for the 3.5 V6 variant). So if you're getting a New Camry, it's either you go for the top-of-the-line 3.5 Q variant or not buy it at all.

The MZ6 2.3L would already be a better choice over the Camry 2.4

8. Join Date
    May 2007
    Hands down, the Camry 2.4V has great appeal. It has the looks good enough to be an Audi A6.

I ordered the new gen camry 2.4 as a company car, but Toyota never got to supplying me a unit even after 1 and half months. So, I just opted to get a black 2.3L V6 Nissan Teana (pics below). The Teana looks old, but the suspension and the exhaust note of the V6 makes the 2.4 camry sound and ride like a Corolla.

The Camry's ride is too stiff when I compared it with the Teana. Anyway, it's just a company car. If it's my own money, I'd buy the Camry for the looks, reliability, and resale value.

Mazda 2.3L? Too me, it looks like a Mazda 3 that was stretched a bit. Reading Car and Driver reviews, they find Mazda 6's suspension as too stiff. Plus the fact that it only nets out 160+hp, and not the 230hp U.S. Mazda speed Version - yun ang guapo, not the local version we have. Mazda Speed has bigger and agressive sized rims, plus turbo scoop on the hood and huge spoilers.

Sayang, when you're spending this much (P1.3M), the very least you expect is a soft ride and strong engine diba?

But if you want power at close to the same price, consider the following six-cylinder options:
    - 2007 Hyundai Sonata 3.3L V6 * 230hp (1.4M PHP)
    - 2007 Nissan Cefiro 300EX 3.0L V6 * 220hp (1.5M PHP) - they're still selling it with all options included. This has the award winning VQ engine from Infiniti.

The Sonata and the Cefiro will definitely outperform the Camry 2.4V (165hp) and the Mazda 6 (167hp). I've seen the Sonata in the skyway, and it's stupid fast.

Anyway, happy shopping. Cheers!

2007 Nissan Teana

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kung ito ba yung 6..

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    OT
    Is that in the Philippines? How's the performance of the 3.3L V6 Sonata over there? Here, it's not lightning quick. But, it's frisky enough to bring a smile when pushed hard and surprisingly well-composed at high speeds.

I already mentioned earlier here about favoring the 4-cyl Camry over the 4-cyl Mazda 6. But, if we moved to RP, I'd buy the 3.3L V6 Sonata all over again.
    sorry, :offtopic: reply to :offtopic: post

How i wish we're back in the Philippines, but no, it's here in Nevada and the 2007 3.3 V6 Sonata SE indeed got a lot of pep though i haven't pushed it real hard yet. Already logged almost 1,100 miles in about 3 weeks since we got it and so far we're very happy with it's performance.

And for only $16,900 (i.e. rounded-off) + TTL & Doc fee, the price was a steal as compared to the well equipped Corolla S at a net price of $17,400 + TTL & Doc fee. As for the mileage, we are now on our 4th fill-up and with a 60/40 city/hiway daily route, initial consumption has been steadily improving from about 21.5 mpg to currently about 23.0 mpg (i.e. about 10 km/l):2thumbsup:

pardon the crappy quality of attached pix, taken from a vintage n6600

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Mazda6 2.3L or Camry 2.4V?