New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Of course it would likely kick the Civic's arse since the Civic would now be old and pass its mid term life. But again if the new Civic in 2011-2012 is released talbog nanaman ang Mazda 3. Its just a vicious cycle.
    I think Honda Civic didn't necessarily kicked the current 3's butt when it first arrived back in 06, most reviews will agree the Mazda 3 still competes even though it has its handicaps proof of this is that it consistently ranks in the top 5 in the US just behind the Civic and the Jazz/Fit, amazing feat for a 5 year old model. In fact I believe the only reason why Civic sells is its just the one that makes sense in terms of fuel economy. Honda had some poor judgment in terms of design and ergonomics of the Civic and I'm not a fan of the control panel as I'm a minimalist. And I think it would be too presumptuous to think the 2011-12 Civic will be that great at this point. The last model the FD followed for me sucked that's why the 3 got noticed indeed in 2003.

Going back to the main topic while budget is a concern, you should also think that buying a car at the very last year of its current model production life cycle is a very bad idea. First you are going to use it for the next 3-5 years and the devaluation by then would be very high. Even though you bought it in 2008 it is still an 04 model so take that into consideration. It's almost always nice to buy a car model in it's model mid life cycle. This is also the same logic in buying a car too early in it's model's release because it is almost certain to have some quirks and hiccups at the beginning.

So at this point the 1.8S or V variants of Civic (Despite of it's blandness in design and lack of excitement to drive) is right now the best choice for the everyday driver.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I don't want to argue na if technically the Civic kicked the 3's arse because there are so much thread devoted to that. But I know sales wise it did and that is what I was referring to back there.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    ^^Hehehehe in fact instead of a promo they are raising the prices of their Civic.
    Looks like Honda is paving the way for the 2010 Mazda 3's huge sales tidal wave assault against the Civic.

As soon as the next 3 comes out and I liked the specs and the test drive is nice, I might bend the rules and dump my Civic early for that beauty.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by daimengrui View Post
    Looks like Honda is paving the way for the 2010 Mazda 3's huge sales tidal wave assault against the Civic.

As soon as the next 3 comes out and I liked the specs and the test drive is nice, I might bend the rules and dump my Civic early for that beauty.

yeah baby, i love the upcoming 3's side contour, but as per Mazda makati's words it will be out here on 2010 pa..so matagal tagal na mag hahari ang civic sa atin

5. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    engine wise, the civic wins
    also resale value of civics will be better than the mazda 3

try going for the civic 1.8s a/t
    although its a little bit more expensive, the better mags, foglights, ABS is value for the money.
    also a/t coz its 5 speed so power delivery is great plus you don't have to tire yourself out in traffic...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
mazda3 1.6s a/t or civic 1.8v m/t???