New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    We used to own an explorer sport trac also.

Problem is with rear suspension, ford ph wanting to replaced the whole assemby, when in fact may individual part nos. naman yun mga parts.

With regards naman sa FB groups, was a member Ford Ranger FB, those people cant be trusted. They discouraged posting problems kasi babagsak daw resale value ng car.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    "sabog tranny."
    does that mean, the gears are physically wrecked,
    or does that mean, "we don't know what's wrong with it, so let's just replace the whole assembly" ?
    Gears physically wrecked. Driving in traffic shaw underpass 20kmh then strong clunk and driveline completely locked up.

Ford wanted close to 500k to repair, which I guess means replacing the whole transmission.

I don't think maintenance would have been an issue. It was a fairly new car like 2016 ata, and low mileage below 40k kms.

Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    That's not the same model of explorer in this topic though.
    One bitten, twice shy. =)

Also I posted this a few pages back, just going to link again:

The 2021 Ford Explorer Has a 1% Reliability Score on Consumer Reports

"Consumer Reports takes its assessments very seriously. So for it to publish any vehicle with such a low score is undoubtedly alarming. That’s especially true considering how Consumer Reports vastly favored most Ford SUVs over Chevy models."
    2021 Ford Explorer Reliability - Consumer Reports

Kakalabas pa lang 5 recalls na kaagad.

Problem spots reported by owners:

Last edited by Dr.Kamiya; December 9th, 2022 at 02:40 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post

One bitten, twice shy. =)
    I don't think the transmission issues of previous models is a valid reason not to buy the new one. The link you posted sa consumer reports, pwede pa maging reason. Different engine and transmissions, different problems.

It's like telling people not to buy a new Toyota Altis that has a newly designed engine just because the old one had sludge issues.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I don't think the transmission issues of previous models is a valid reason not to buy the new one. The link you posted sa consumer reports, pwede pa maging reason. Different engine and transmissions, different problems.

It's like telling people not to buy a new Toyota Altis that has a newly designed engine just because the old one had sludge issues.
    Why wouldn't it be valid? It counts as previous track record for Ford, and when it comes to buying a big-ticket item like a car I believe it's always better to err on the side of caution.

The onus is on Ford to show that the past problems have been fixed, not on the consumer to automatically forgive them because this is an all-new model.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Why wouldn't it be valid?
    Because its a different transmission. Simple as that.

I personally wouldn't buy the Explorer because its pretty ugly now to be honest and yes multiple reports have been made as to its problems. Also not a big fan of SUVs in general.

But to put the sins of the past models to the new models that isn't even using the same parts is just unfair.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    It counts as previous track record for Ford, and when it comes to buying a big-ticket item like a car I believe it's always better to err on the side of caution.

The onus is on Ford to show that the past problems have been fixed, not on the consumer to automatically forgive them because this is an all-new model.
    That's why you research first and exercise due diligence before buying a car.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    That's why you research first and exercise due diligence before buying a car.
    These sort of reliability problems usually don't show up immediately, so if you were shopping last year there would have been nothing to go on.

Going by track record, the research says don't buy Ford.

Ford Fiesta engine and tranny issues. Ford Focus powershift DCT issues. Ford Ecosport DCT issues. Previous-gen Ford Explorer tranny issues. Ford Ranger Raptor tranny issues.

IMO it's perfectly fair to make a snap judgement on the new Explorer based on the previous model's unreliability -- after all many people bought the previous gen Explorer, because the Sport Trac era Explorers were pretty solid (I had one too).

Toyota's reputation wasn't built in a single model year, and in my opinion Ford will have to execute for a couple of consecutive generations before I go around recommending the Explorer again.

Because its a different transmission. Simple as that.

I personally wouldn't buy the Explorer because its pretty ugly now to be honest and yes multiple reports have been made as to its problems. Also not a big fan of SUVs in general.

But to put the sins of the past models to the new models that isn't even using the same parts is just unfair.
    It's the same company making the new transmission. Simple as that.

Until it proves itself reliable I am well within my rights to judge it by its predecessor's record.
    Last edited by Dr.Kamiya; December 9th, 2022 at 06:18 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    You do know that there are situations where different models of the same brand have different reliability ratings right? I mean you cited consumer reports, I'm assuming you know these things.

Until it proves itself reliable I am well within my rights to judge it by its predecessor's record.
    For the record, what are your vehicles now?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    You do know that there are situations where different models of the same brand have different reliability ratings right?
    Let me break this down:

You are saying that it is UNFAIR, for a would-be customer to be cautious about buying a new Ford Explorer because it is "new", nevermind that Ford has had a terrible reliability record for at least four previous models, including the direct predecessor of the car.

Track records are a perfectly valid way to judge a company's products, but you are pretending that it just "resets" with the lauch of a new model. When and if that customer is stuck with a huge repair bill, I'll point them right back to your quote.

For the record, what are your vehicles now?
    Subaru WRX, Mitsubishi Pajero, LC200, Ford Everest (getting rid of it since the electrics are starting to go bad)

Previously owned: Explorer Sport Trac (solid truck), Escape (all sorts of electrical issues when it got old -- sometimes it wont start at all: no cranking, but mysteriously starts again if you try again in a few minutes. BCM problems, etc)

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Para sa mga ardent Toyota followers, best substitute for the Explorer is the Prado 4.0L V6. You just have to pay 600k+ more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast