New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hondas often sell secondhand for very high prices. "Prestige" is one reason (that no-taxi thing), durability and engineering are the others.

Take note that the Jazz is a very fuel efficient car. Typically, Pinoys will pay less for a secondhand midsize car than they will for a secondhand compact, because midsize cars are considered gas guzzlers. Likewise, they'll pay less for a secondhand compact than they will for a secondhand subcompact, for the same reason.

It's sad for me... I'm dreaming of a secondhand Jazz 1.5 MT to experiment with...

Look at the secondhand prices for the old Honda City. It's selling for just about as much as Honda Civics of the same year, and for more than Sentras or Corollas of those years. Heck, you can buy a Cefiro for less than what a Honda City goes for... and those cars aren't without their issues (the boxy old Honda Cities were based on 80's Civics... thus the pressed sheetmetal is rust-o-philic).

Simply, economical cars have very good resale value, because people are scared of gasoline prices and maintenance. Otherwise, how can you explain Daewoo Esperos selling secondhand for 50k bucks (or less) while people are still hawking Matiz's for up to 200k?

You always lose money when purchasing a brand-new car. The bigger the car, usually the more money you lose in depreciation (strangely, the gas-guzzling CRV seems immune to this)... people in the market for bigger cars will usually buy one new. Kaya good for buyers like you who are looking for these cars secondhand.

A secondhand Mazda3 should not be overly difficult to maintain. I don't know how widespread secondhand parts for it are, though... you'd have to ask on the Philippine Mazda boards (protegetech.org is one) for advice. No big problem areas, naman, so far. Just squeaking or noisy brakes and various noises from the suspension. If the car is quiet over rough roads when you buy it, and the transmission isn't jerky, it should be okay.
    Last edited by niky; September 28th, 2007 at 10:23 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    jazz cvt. easy to drive and so smooth. if you want to have a lil more oomph, the manual mode is there. so fun to drive.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Hello Niky:

Tks very much for your very good analysis of our local second hand car market. You must be right. If only there was money for more than one car....the one size fits all car has not yet been invented. I started off looking for either a van or a small light economical automatic car. The sure thing now is whatever I get it has to be an automatic car/van.

2nd the choice is between space and size like a starex or compactness like a Jazz or an M3 hatchback. The Jazz is perfect if I had a budget to later on buy a real van, but I dont want to buy a 7 - 10 yr old starex with all its repair problems/engine smoke beching lack of power problems...

This is what got me interested in the Zafira, a an occasional 7 seater, good driveable size, automatic, handling is ok, only question was maintenance...and price. I cant find one now in good condition at php 400 - 450k....

Now what if I considered a 03-04 XTRail or a 05 Innova? Naku naligaw na ba ko? I am hoping cost is wtihin the same Php 600 - 700 k budget.
    The Xtrail is autotrans, FC city use for the 2.0 4x2 is about 6.5 - 7.5 km/liter they say? Totto ba? The Innova diesel automatic would be say 7.5 - 8 km/liter city drive? I am thinking of these 2 as alternate to a starex CRDi(too expensive at Php 800 to 900k).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mazda 3 Hatchback or Jazz 1.5 Vtec CVT