New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Practicality - Corolla Altis talaga.

Yung Elantra okay daw as per Elantra owners, yung Accent ang daming issues, itong Elantra wala daw. Satisfied silang lahat. Value for money yung 1.8 GLS.

Yung Sportage, 5 months na sa amin, almost 9K na odo, very nice CUV. Mura pa maintenance, paid 1.7K for the first 7500km PMS. Ok din ang service.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    I'll pick the elantra 1.8 GLS over the 1.6 V Altis. I think they have almost the same price.

3. Join Date
    May 2011
    I'ld pick Altis from your choices. Conservative but reliable. After sales service from Toyota in my opinion is generally better than the rest. (at least for those in the same category). In terms of features, Toyota always comes in last. But if that does not matter to you, Altis is a good safe and steady choice.

The elantra is okay. Unfortunately, Hyundai dwelled too much in its current design. The elantra, sonata and accent in most angles look alike. Don't know how this impacted it's sales.

Look at the Cruze and the Focus over Elantra.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    I'd pick the elantra, I fell in love with this when I saw it in flesh it's so beautiful... I might get one of these but I have to wait and see first.... baka may lumabas na defect just like accent.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow3616931 View Post
    I'd pick the elantra, I fell in love with this when I saw it in flesh it's so beautiful... I might get one of these but I have to wait and see first.... baka may lumabas na defect just like accent.
    Agree with this pero di na ko nakapag antay so I bought the 1.8 GLS. So far so good wala pang lumabas na problema. 5 years ago I also gambled to the so called questionable Hyundai reliability. I bought the 1st gen Tucson CRDi, now at 54K++ Km odometer the unit still run without major problem, tumipid pa nga ang diesel consumption ngayon.

BTT: Of the choices above we own 1.5L City & 1.8L Elantra. City is the daily drive of my wife but now she like to drive the Elantra more than her city. A neighbor who own Altis MT made a very good comment of my Elantra after he test drove my unit. If TS is a DIY guy or fond of modification I suggest he get the 1.6 AT, mura na marami pang mods na magagawa to improve features.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    I'll go with the Corolla for overall practicality and cheapness.
    True, if its just plain practicality, it's the Corolla really. It ages well, it's big, parts are abundant and you don't have to rely on the CASA for parts and servicing.

The City is good and light to drive around but the suspension of the Corolla still feels beefier and is still a bigger car overall.

The Elantra is nice and value packed but after sales service of Hyundai seems to be costlier based on the service bills I've been seeing.

If i were in the market, i'd take a close look at either the Corolla and Elantra.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Not sure if this matters to the threadstarter, but the Elantra beat all other passenger cars when it won the 2011 North American Car of the Year a few weeks ago.

8. Join Date
    May 2011
    This link should help you out:

Best Affordable Small Cars Rankings | U.S. News Best Cars

Among 40 compacts and sub-compacts, Elantra is tied for 2nd, while the Corolla was dead last.

I think these arguments of practicality for the Corolla are somewhat stale. If that's the only thing going for it or is such a big consideration for a buyer, then buyer should be looking at cheaper cars/ subcompacts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Looking for new car: Top choices elantra, altis, kia sportage or city