New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Your preferred car brands if you are seriously buying a luxury car?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • AUDI

7 22.58%
  • BMW

10 32.26%
  • Mercedes Benz

9 29.03%
  • Porsche

3 9.68%
  • Jaguar

2 6.45%
  • Lexus

13 41.94%
  • Land Rover / Ranger Rover

4 12.90%
  • Chrysler

0 0%
  • Chevy

0 0%
  • Ford

1 3.23%
  • Honda

1 3.23%
  • Toyota

1 3.23%
  • Nissan

2 6.45%
  • Mazda

1 3.23%
  • Mitsubishi

1 3.23%
  • Suzuki

1 3.23%
  • Volvo

2 6.45%
  • Hyundai

0 0%
  • Kia

0 0%
  • Isuzu

0 0%
  • Subaru

1 3.23%
  • Other brands not mentioned

1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    When I had the opportunity to test drive the entire Lexus sedan range, only the LS460 is the odd one out for the entire sedan line of Lexus that actually delivers the "luxury goods"... but still if I have to spend P6M to P7M on a ubber luxury sedan, I would rather still prefer to choose a prestige brand like Merc, or BMW or Jaguar.

"Lexus" still doesn't deliver that feel of prestige in a brand.
    Really? Thanks so much!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    Personally, I view Lexus as something sensible in terms of luxury. It's not full-blown luxury like those of Caddys or Beemers, but I think it has its own niche market where an owner wants something that offer luxury and is sensible at the same time. Another company that is trying to rival that is Hyundai's own Equus lineup, but it's not there yet to compete with the big boys so I'll cross that out.
    :
    How is spending the cash value equivalent of a BMW luxury sedan on a Japanese unknown luxury car be a sensible decision?

If you want a sensible luxury car, buy a top of the line Toyota Camry or a Nissan Teana or Hyundai Sonata.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Styling is too bland... much like a Camry. It feels designed by a committee to meet certain specifications. No emotion was spent on the design.

Compare the Camry to the current Sonata with it's flowing lines and graceful buldges.
    Pati when you test drive the car? Parang wala pa din bang character?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by karenroserobles View Post
    Pati when you test drive the car? Parang wala pa din bang character?
    With exception to the LS460... the entire Lexus sedan range (IS, ES, GS) was a combination of slow, lumbering, cramp and boring to look at. If you want "character", I would say an old man.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    How about after sales service? Who has the best service here in Manila?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Let us kindly remember that the Lexus locally situated in Fort Bonifacio has opened its doors just recently to the public. It's no wonder that Lexus will still need time to build up their reputation here in the Philippines compared to PGACars or Cats Motors. However, they're pretty well-established in other markets. If we take a global view for it, Lexus IS considered a luxury and that alone pits it against Mercedes-Benz and BMW.

I think Wikipedia's article about Lexus' marketing sums it up the best:

"Industry observers have attributed Lexus' early marketing successes to higher levels of perceived quality and lower prices than competitors, which have enabled the marque to attract customers upgrading from mass-market cars. A reputation for dependability, bolstered by reliability surveys, also became a primary factor in attracting new customers from rival premium makes. Lexus has since grown to command higher price premiums than rival Japanese makes, with new models further increasing in price and reaching the over-US$100,000 ultra-luxury category long dominated by rival European marques."

Can we say that Lexus wasn't supposed to initially go head-to-head against them but simply fill out the gap left behind by luxury and mass-market automobiles? Possibly. But that requires further research.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Lexus is an aspirational brand

aspirational brand definition from Financial Times Lexicon

aspirational brand
    A brand that people think is a very high quality brand, which will give them a higher position in society if they buy it.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post

its all about context, perceptions. Lexus is either a) an aspirational mass brand if you're moving up, or b) a massified luxury brand if you're already there.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ^^^

moving up from a Toyota or moving down from a Merc

--

aspirational brand kinda like Coach

lower than LV

10. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Lets just say Lexus has its own great qualities... it has its own reasons why it became the top selling brand in the US.... ever think of that? hehehe

lexus are for the people who has already owned tons of bmw audis and mb... people who would like to be differentiated
    :D

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast