New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Your preferred car brands if you are seriously buying a luxury car?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • AUDI

7 22.58%
  • BMW

10 32.26%
  • Mercedes Benz

9 29.03%
  • Porsche

3 9.68%
  • Jaguar

2 6.45%
  • Lexus

13 41.94%
  • Land Rover / Ranger Rover

4 12.90%
  • Chrysler

0 0%
  • Chevy

0 0%
  • Ford

1 3.23%
  • Honda

1 3.23%
  • Toyota

1 3.23%
  • Nissan

2 6.45%
  • Mazda

1 3.23%
  • Mitsubishi

1 3.23%
  • Suzuki

1 3.23%
  • Volvo

2 6.45%
  • Hyundai

0 0%
  • Kia

0 0%
  • Isuzu

0 0%
  • Subaru

1 3.23%
  • Other brands not mentioned

1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Having sat in a Lexus LS460, I disagree with ghosthunter's opinion and say that Lexus has what it takes to deliver on practical luxury. Still, given that amount of money, I'd still add a few millions and get a S-class Mercedes-Benz. Now THAT's luxury.

Personally, I view Lexus as something sensible in terms of luxury. It's not full-blown luxury like those of Caddys or Beemers, but I think it has its own niche market where an owner wants something that offer luxury and is sensible at the same time. Another company that is trying to rival that is Hyundai's own Equus lineup, but it's not there yet to compete with the big boys so I'll cross that out.

Between the ES (GS ata direct competitor?), 5-series, or E-class: I'll go for the E-class. The only Lexus lines I love is the LS and the LX, anything more and I like Mercs better. And yes, I've never been a fan of Beemers, but I'm a fan of Mercs. If not, that Maserati I saw in Fort earlier is always calling out for me :naughty2:

2. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    Having sat in a Lexus LS460, I disagree with ghosthunter's opinion and say that Lexus has what it takes to deliver on practical luxury. Still, given that amount of money, I'd still add a few millions and get a S-class Mercedes-Benz. Now THAT's luxury.

If not, that Maserati I saw in Fort earlier is always calling out for me :naughty2:
    Luxury has its own meaning for each of these cars...

S-class would give you that classic semi limo class feeling...

LS- would give a sub par feeling of luxury with the benefit of being "low profile"

and YES, not all people who has the capability to purchase a car worth tens of millions like the attention or heat...
    ---
    and finally... please see both the LS and S class... theres no feature on both cars that neither one has XD

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Uy, taga DLSU! Although I find it funny to see fellow batchmates (or you're probably younger since I'm taking up ECM-MGT) posting here, might as well help you peeps out.

As for me, I don't view Lexus as overpriced Toyotas. They have their own merits, but I do believe that the ES is an overpriced Camry and the GS is just sad. Notable lineups is the IS which I think has the merits to go head-to-head with the 3-series and the C-class, the LS is prolly their strongest point: Massage seats anyone? The previous generation LX is strong in the Philippines but the current LX? Heck, so far I've only seen one.

Remember that Lexus, in the US, climbed up fairly quickly after the introduction of the first LS luxury sedan. If you're in marketing, I would classify Lexus in niche marketing since Lexus targets a certain luxury demographic -- sensible buyers of luxury.

Disclosure: My family doesn't own luxury brands in the Philippines. We find them too heavily taxed to be by any means a reasonable purchase and we would rather buy Ford Expeditions. However, we did own a C-class Merc in Canada (where prices there is kinda like buying a Camry here). One of my aunts, however, is a Lexus fan. ES, IS, LS... LX.. lol, the only thing missing is the GS. I remember when their ES got into a crash before Lexus arrived in the country and it took them 6 months just to import a damn door.

I also think handing out survey questions regarding people's opinion in Lexus is also a good idea. Or interviewing those automobile lovers in Agno Parking (sorry, that includes me) might also yield a good opinion base since there are some people there with luxury vehicles. Or kung gusto mo madamihan, malapit lang CSB oh! :naughty2:

4. Join Date
    May 2010
    Exerpt from Edmunds.com

Lexus has earned a well-deserved reputation for turning out utterly refined luxury vehicles. The hallmarks of this brand are a quiet, well-crafted cabin, a plush ride and commendable performance from powerful, nearly silent engines.

Launched by Toyota in the fall of 1989, the Lexus line represents the company's effort to create a world-class luxury-car brand. Groundwork for the Lexus line was laid in the mid-'80s, when the company began tapping U.S. focus groups in an attempt to define design concepts best suited for American consumers. Hundreds of prototypes were built and tested on Germany's autobahn and on U.S. roads.

In early 1989, the company unveiled its first two models (which would debut for the 1990 model year) — the entry-level ES 250 and the flagship LS 400. The LS 400 was lauded by both journalists and consumers alike for offering a stellar luxury-car experience, with a remarkably silent cabin and a refined engine. The cars were, however, panned by some for being somewhat less exciting than their European competitors because of bland styling and a suspension that placed plush ride quality over sporty handling dynamics.

By the early 1990s, the Lexus brand was expanded to other markets, including the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia. Additional cars were also added to the lineup, including the SC 300 and SC 400 coupes and the brand's first luxury performance sedan, the GS 300. Over the next few years, the company grew its line to include SUVs, with the addition of the LX 450 and RX 300. By the end of the decade, Lexus had sold over a million vehicles in the U.S.

The 2000s saw Lexus proving itself a trendsetter with the launch of many hybrid-powered versions of its vehicles such as the RX 400h and the GS 450h. And by the close of that decade, Lexus even introduced a supercar, the LFA.

In the years since its inception, the Lexus brand has distinguished itself time and again in quality and reliability surveys. The brand may not offer as much passion as its Teutonic rivals, but for drivers interested in vehicles that emphasize quality, dependability and comfort, the Lexus marque is hard to beat.
    Lexus Overview

In my opinion, may ibang market ang Lexus. Pero maganda diyan ay low profile cars sila. Not too brashy and not too loud

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    If there's one thing I really like about Lexus, its their devotion to hybrid technology. With such cars as the CT200h, RX400h, GX450h and LS600h, Lexus has portrayed hybrids as fuel efficient, luxurious and high performance vehicles as well.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    *gail.s and karenrobles

are you one person?
    Haha. No, we're thesismates )

7. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    This video might help; comparing Lexus and Cadillac as New vs Old Luxury...

In summary:
    OLD LUXURY: Oversized Vehicles, Lots of Leather, Big Gas Guzzling Engines, TV/DVD, LOTS of Chrome and Fake wood, 20+ inch Spinners/Rims....
    NEW LUXURY: Sleek Design, Advanced Safety Technology, Hybrid Powertrain, Fuel Efficiency, Zero Emissions, Good Ergonomics, Recycled Materials...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Well, when it comes to the international community, I also applaud Lexus for their hybrid technology. But that's a no-brainer as Toyota leads the pack when it comes to hybrid sales with their Prius.

I forgot to include the cabin isolation. The LS NVH isolation is unbelievable.. I daresay it's quieter inside versus the S-Class! But the Merc obviously has the advantage of space, build quality, and that "luxury" feel.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Actually, I don't think the LS is low-profile at all. If you've seen one on the road, it's humongous even when pitted against my Sonata. But if you pit it versus the Mercedes S-Class, I'd say it would be considered "low profile" due to the absence of the pointed star. Still, if you were to give me a ultra-luxury car that's low profile on our roads it would be the BMW 7-series. Why? Alot of people has it. Corrupt politicians, customs officials (especially my customs official slash neighbor that had like.. BMW 7,6,3,X5 during Arroyo-era days), and general wealthy people

The RX is good in fact, but if you price the cost.. and the fact that it's as big as a CR-V, makes it unappealing to us. You can see a hella ton of them in Hong Kong though.. along with Alphards.

Frankly, one of the easiest spots to spot the LS is in Aurora Blvd-Gilmore since the owner of PC Express has one. As for the others, Fort Bonifacio Taguig is the best place to spot exotics

10. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    i beg to disagree... the LS is humongous, but in general majority of the population don't know lexus... people usually are enticed by the big 3 (Audi,MB,BMW)...

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast