New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Your preferred car brands if you are seriously buying a luxury car?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • AUDI

7 22.58%
  • BMW

10 32.26%
  • Mercedes Benz

9 29.03%
  • Porsche

3 9.68%
  • Jaguar

2 6.45%
  • Lexus

13 41.94%
  • Land Rover / Ranger Rover

4 12.90%
  • Chrysler

0 0%
  • Chevy

0 0%
  • Ford

1 3.23%
  • Honda

1 3.23%
  • Toyota

1 3.23%
  • Nissan

2 6.45%
  • Mazda

1 3.23%
  • Mitsubishi

1 3.23%
  • Suzuki

1 3.23%
  • Volvo

2 6.45%
  • Hyundai

0 0%
  • Kia

0 0%
  • Isuzu

0 0%
  • Subaru

1 3.23%
  • Other brands not mentioned

1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Admittedly, I am not a fan of Volvo's current design language. I find it too wild to be elegant.
    Too bad that you don't like Volvo... I was able to test drive the S60-T6 last year and the S60-T4 and S60-T5 a couple of weeks ago and they are superb cars if you are in the market for a personal-driven European luxury sedan. The T6 has the power and handling that might rival a Mitsu EVO but with the luxury matching any current BMW 3 series.

The lesser T4 and T5 have less power and a bit less toys than the T6 model but even the lowest T4 with it's 1.6L turbo engine, has more than enough grunt to make anyone smile when you floor the gas pedal.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    So you are supposed to come up with a potential solution to further differentiate Lexus from Toyota? So here goes. Make their cars totally different from their Toyota counterparts. If platform sharing cannot be avoided, they can pour more technology into it. Like for example, all wheel drive, 4 wheel steering, direct injection and turbocharging across the line, etc. And perhaps they can tap the services of renowned design firms for their inputs as I personally find Lexus's styling bland and generic, it seems like something I can conjure up in my head if I wanted to design a car. For their high end models, consulting renowned suspension firms for their input should make the car more distinct.
    The problem is even with the example of the LEXUS IS300, with its more powerful engine is such a slow car to drive in the city. It is painfully slow to accelerate from a standing start and it is awfully cramped inside, especially at the back seats.

Ironically, a much more affordable Toyota Corolla would have a lot more cabin space for both the front AND rear passengers.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    We have both bmw and mb, i'd pick the mb anyday. It has a much better build quality and it feels more solid. To those saying bmw has a better performance i'd say any current amg will out run any bmw's M series. BMW's interior looks nice though, has more toys to play with and more hi-tech compared to mb's plain and simple interior.
    Thanks so much!!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    No. I would consider it much lower even if the price says otherwise. Take more than just an expensive showroom, big price tag and leather covered seats to make great luxury car.
    Thanks for this!! So years and history in the country are important things in making a great luxury car?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Lexus is just Toyota's luxury/performance division and they most certainly do not have the heritage and brand panache of the European brands. In fact I respect Nissan's Infiniti and Honda's Acura more. If I had such outrageous amounts of money and were going to add cars to my garage, I'd stay away from the "generic" BMW and Mercedes and go for Audi instead. I really do like Audi's design and they are really catching up to BMW and Mercedes. Admittedly, I am not a fan of Volvo's current design language. I find it too wild to be elegant.
    I just want to ask, for you what would be Lexus' strength over other brands?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    So you are supposed to come up with a potential solution to further differentiate Lexus from Toyota? So here goes. Make their cars totally different from their Toyota counterparts. If platform sharing cannot be avoided, they can pour more technology into it. Like for example, all wheel drive, 4 wheel steering, direct injection and turbocharging across the line, etc. And perhaps they can tap the services of renowned design firms for their inputs as I personally find Lexus's styling bland and generic, it seems like something I can conjure up in my head if I wanted to design a car. For their high end models, consulting renowned suspension firms for their input should make the car more distinct.
    We can't really touch the product/marketing side of the brand. The most we can do for Lexus is promotion. Our thesis is purely advertising based.

But if I may ask, what do you think is the strongest point of Lexus that we can use to advertise the brand?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by karenroserobles View Post
    Thanks for this!! So years and history in the country are important things in making a great luxury car?
    It would help. Why would you spend millions of pesos when only you would know how expensive you car is? Having people know and acknowledge the expensiveness of a luxury car is a big part of the reason why we want to own a luxury car.

Ask common people about bmw and benz and they will know its an expensive car. Ask the same people about Lexus, they might not even know its a car, but a men's club along quezon ave. ;)

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Thank you for your opinion! I agree, that the brand is strongly associated with Toyota. We're trying to come up with an idea to differentiate the brand to Toyota and make an identity of their own.
    then what you're trying to do is change public perception on the brand

the public sees Lexus cars as overpriced Toyotas

unless somebody buys the Lexus brand from Toyota and announce they'll completely disassociate the brand from Toyota, the public will still see Lexus cars as overpriced Toyotas

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    *gail.s and karenrobles

are you one person?

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    know how you can create a stand-alone identity for Lexus?

tell people that Lexus has spun off from Toyota

that Lexus will no longer use Toyota platforms

that Lexus will be designing original cars and building cars from scratch

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast