New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Lancer CVT is a torque-converter type, so it won't suffer the exact same problems as Honda's CVTs. But still, maintenance will be a little more involved than for regular transmissions IF something breaks.

Whichever car you get, get the one in better condition. The Lynx RS is a good car, strong suspension, stout, torquey engine, but things can break if it's been abused, like with most cars. The difference is, the RS literally asks you to abuse it. I know of quite a few that have blown engines due to over-exuberant driving or modifications (too much turbo boost with no engine management... race-track abuse... pinging off the limiter constantly at over 220 km/h... ), so check the car you are going to buy carefully. If it smells like burnt rubber inside and out... walk away...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the tips!

*Niky
    You own an RS right? I think I read it somewhere here...hehe! Anyways, what's the FC of you ride? I'm thinking to buy the RS instead of the Lancer since it's easier to maintain a manual tranny but I'm worried on the FC of the Lynx. I'm hoping that it will hit around 8-10km/l.

Thanks again!

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Does CVTs have a lifespan? I'm kind of worried buying an a/t after I read the issues about the cost in repairing CVTs.
    All components of any equipment has lifespan or a limited usable and economical to use life until having or maintaining them becomes economically not beneficial.

With any component it's how it was maintained and used (since it is 2nd hand) that would matter. CVTs in particular. All things considered equal, a CVT tranny will work better than a conventional AT or an MT.

The dislike for CVT stems from the love of gear shifting. CVTs do not gear change in the same manner as standard AT or MT. In some cars they "emulate" this to satisfy the need for drivers looking for that gear shifting effect. Plus some CVT (like Honda) demand a specific fluid to work and last long.

Between the Lancer and the Ford? Pick the one with the best condition, take the tip from a trusted mechanic or automobile technician.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mickoolitz View Post
    Thanks for the tips!

*Niky
    You own an RS right? I think I read it somewhere here...hehe! Anyways, what's the FC of you ride? I'm thinking to buy the RS instead of the Lancer since it's easier to maintain a manual tranny but I'm worried on the FC of the Lynx. I'm hoping that it will hit around 8-10km/l.

Thanks again!
    Well, I wouldn't say easier to maintain... particularly if you're a clutch driver... ...maintaining the RS isn't as expensive as maintaining, say, an Accord or Galant, as long as you know where to buy parts, but it's definitely more costly than maintaining a regular 1.6 liter car.

Economy will really depend on your driving style, your route, and the condition of your car. In our club, we've seen lows of 5 km/l and highs of 16 km/l. It's worst when you do a whole lot of short trips (the car guzzles a bit when the engine is cold). But I think 6-8 is typical in metro traffic.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    hi.

I'm planning to buy a ford lynx rs. I took it for a test drive and it's kinda slow. It's accelaration isnt that facinating considering its a 2.0L double over head cam. Is this normal?? or is there something wrong with the engine?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dude24 View Post
    hi.

I'm planning to buy a ford lynx rs. I took it for a test drive and it's kinda slow. It's accelaration isnt that facinating considering its a 2.0L double over head cam. Is this normal?? or is there something wrong with the engine?
    Define slow. Slow compared to what? The Lynx has a 145 hp 2.0, yes, but it weighs some 1235 kilograms. That's just 100 kilograms or so less than a 1989 Galant GTi with the same engine size and power. As such, it will feel a bit heavy at low rpms, but the mid-range is very strong.

A stock RS can hit 100 km/h in about 8.6-9 seconds. It's quicker than your typical Civic VTi of the time or the 2 liter midsize cars, but slower than cars like the SiR (as long as the driver doesn't bog the SiR) and the Focus TDCI, and about as quick as the current Civic 1.8.

The car should feel like it has a lot of grunt between 3000-5000 rpm, then it gets a bit breathless at 5000 rpm before the VICS opens, then it gets its second wind at around 6000 rpm. If it feels boggy at low rpms, then there's either a VICS problem or an O2 sensor problem, or the owner has a modified exhaust that's too big for the car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Lancer MX 2005 CVT a/t VS Ford Lynx RS 2004