New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vicoyski
    Nope... So has the Sorento CRDi variants available in RP... Only the 3500 V6 variant won the awards in the US, 'di ba? So, if you prefer an actual award winner, go get the V6 Sorento...

Sorento CRDI variant for RP winning awards? Yes, check these links:

Best 4x4 Award - Europe http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...399495,00.html

England's Best Tow Car 2006
    http://www.caravantrekker.nl/tavhj/2006gb(oud).php
    http://eng.kia.sk/press_releases/ind...ews&data_id=84

Britain's Car of the Year 2004
    http://www.sorento-club.de/modules.p...article&sid=32

SORENTO WINS THE UK´s 4X4 MAGAZINE ´CAR OF THE YEAR´ AWARD
    http://www.kiapress.com/index.php?PH...tocontentid=14

SORENTO TOPS OWNER-SATISFACTION CHARTS
    http://www.kiapress.com/index.php?PH...tocontentid=12

hmm still muti-awarded...

I say, you get the CRDI also...
    Last edited by gregg_g; December 7th, 2005 at 10:51 PM.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry
    Talo ang Sorento sa 'badging', because most people discriminate against Kia. The upside sa Sorento is walang waiting period.
    so true. so if you beleive in that philosophy get the fortuner. i vote fortuner. mas maganda ung sorento pero dahil kia nga prang nakakasira ng image kahit gano pa kaganda ung auto, pero kung wala ka nmng pakeelam get the sorento, mas medating lng kc when your driving a fortuner, mas may prestige. palakasan lang yan wen it comes to pila pila. kami we didnt had to wait in line.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Its been a few months already. My vote is still with the Kia. Gotta love the underdog.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    My vote goes to the Sorento. A little research on the net will bring out a lot of surprises about the Sorento.

In reality, the Sorento is more of a European car but just comes with a Korean badge. It was developed by German and Korean engineers at the Kia R&D facility in Russelshiem, Frankfurt Germany (not in Korea) and development started in 1995.

The Sorento project was basically a component integration project. At the onset, the development team agreed not to re-invent the wheel by simply getting the best technologically proven components available in Europe. The end product was a Sorento SUV which had parts coming from all over the world :

Detroit Diesel (US) & Fiat (Italy) developed the DOHC engine for Kia
    Bosch (Germany) supplies the entire CRDI fuel injection system
    Bosch (Germany) also supplies the anti-lock brake system (ABS+EBD)
    Borg-Warner (UK-South Wales Unit) supplies the 4x4 drivetrain based on the same Torque-on-Demand system used by the BL Rovers
    Autoliv (Sweden) supplies the airbag (front-side-rear) & safety systems and using Siemens (Germany) impact sensors.
    Eaton (US) supplies the ultra hi-tech carbon fibre Limited Slip Differentials

To round up the Sorento for that perfect ride – Kia got Porsche (Germany) for suspension tuning. It was Porsche who in turn got Sachs (Germany) to supply the suspension equipment for the Sorento, as they do for their very own Porsche cars, including the Cayenne. These includes the shock absorbers and the self-leveling suspension system optimized for car-like handling and exceptional towing properties. (note that BMW also uses Sachs suspension components).

So the only things Korean are frame, body shell, interiors and ancillary (non-critical) engine components (fan, belts, radiator, etc.). So with the Sorento, you are really getting a European car under a Korean skin (but unfortunately-with a Korean badge).

New for 2006 Sorentos will be the use of Borg Warner (US Unit) BV43 variable turbine geometry turbocharger.

All the above data are available on the net, just use google- type in Kia Sorento and the name of the component supplier. It's all there.

Objectively, what does the Fortuner have?

It uses a Torsen 4x4 drivetrain, but Torsen is now a Japanese company after the sale by Bosch of their Torsen unit in 2003 to Toyoda Machine Works Ltd. (Japan).

So the Fortuner is a purely Japanese technology SUV with all the legendary reputation the Toyota badge carries.

So take your pick !
    Last edited by jaeger; December 8th, 2005 at 03:56 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    meron ba rin fortuner sa japan? nabasa ko na sa thailand daw to designed and made with the help from toyota japan.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    if only the sorento had 3rd row seats, it'd be a no-brainer for me. kaso wala e. and the fortuner looks bigger and taller. plus, i really don't need a hard-core off-roader. so personally, setting the long queue aside, i'd pick the fortuner. but the sorento definitely gets a 2nd, even 3rd look.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blinker
    so true. so if you beleive in that philosophy get the fortuner. i vote fortuner. mas maganda ung sorento pero dahil kia nga prang nakakasira ng image kahit gano pa kaganda ung auto, pero kung wala ka nmng pakeelam get the sorento, mas medating lng kc when your driving a fortuner, mas may prestige. palakasan lang yan wen it comes to pila pila. kami we didnt had to wait in line.
    I think gaya nga ng sinabi ng ka tsikoteer natin before, yang pila-pila na ipinapakita ng mga Toyota dealers is just a phsycological plot lang nila. I think di totoo ang pila. Pag pumayag ka accessories worth 200K-250K which is tubong lugaw sa mga dealer, kuha mo kagad unit mo.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    even if all the best mechanics in the world put together a car that ends up with a korean name ultimately many buyers would still consider resale value. indeed the sorento is a good car but not all good cars yields vehicle sales. di din naman kasi lahat ng buyer e magtatanong tungkol sa kung sino at kung saang bansa galing ang parte ng isang sasakyan. The mentality today in the philippines is if its a honda or a toyota it must be reliable.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I choose Sorento over Fortuner dahil sa reliability ng engine. D4D engine performance is still questionable compare sa CRDi engine ng Sorento.Para sa akin, masmatibay CRDi engine ng Sorento kasi mostly German technology. Kaya nga di nila ininstall and D4D engine sa bagong Prado/Landcruiser kasi Toyota mismo di sure. Syempre subok muna sa Fortuner

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Kaya nga di nila ininstall and D4D engine sa bagong Prado/Landcruiser kasi Toyota mismo di sure. Syempre subok muna sa Fortuner
    is that so? too bad for the fortuner...
    I chose the 2.7 VVTi variant of the fortuner over crdi because it is cheaper and much more practical for me. although i must admit i almost chose the crdi version of fortuner because of availability issues of gas variants.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Kia Sorento vs. Toyota Fortuner