New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Just wanted to get opinions on which would be the better bang-for-the-buck-CUV - Kia Sorento LX M/T v. Hyundai Tucson CRDi 2WD A/T?

Motioncars.com lists the Sorento LX M/T at Php1,060,000 while the Tucson CRDi 2wd A/T is listed at Php1,078,000. Not sure if the figure for the Sorento is updated but I'm assuming it's not too far off. So what would you guys get?

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd get the Sorento... you'll be getting a lot more metal for almost the same amount of money (bigger engine with a higher output, a more roomier cabin & trunk space, rear disc brakes, driver airbag). If I am not mistaken the LX version also has a 4WD (please correct me if I am wrong).

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    All local Sorentos have a dual range 4wd system.

It's just a matter of picking a mid-size truck or a compact cute-ute.

Sorento LX's don't have power mirrors as standard. No wood trim, manual a/c, less fancy audio, no fender flares, narrower tires, etc.

But I'd still take it over the Tucson. Not that there's anything wrong with the Tucson, I just like the Sorento better.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    For some reason, I like the Tucson so much better than the Sorento. Of course, the Sorento might actually look better of the two. But driving these two will show you their differences. The Sorento looks big and does feel surprisingly sluggishly truck-like for a SUV this size. When accelerating, it lets out a muted grunt and the diesel clatter is noticeable but not of unacceptable levels. The second row seats are poor/bad bec. it swallows whoever sits on it.

On the other hand, the Tucson, feels every bit like a sedan on stilts, meaning it was so fun and easy to drive it. Its CRDi, was so smooth and quiet and the transmission shifted so smoothly that no shift shock was felt.

Ps: Tucson tested was a AWD CRDi and Sorento was diesel 4WD.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Sorento but make sure it's the VGT version. VGT means a LOT.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    For me I'll get the Sorento. But I wouldn't compare these 2. Mas comparable kasi if Tucson Vs. Sportage. Diba there's an all power Sorento naman. pero mas mahal ata? But anyway Sorento is better and it's even better if you add these.
    http://paultan.org/archives/2006/07/...p-kia-sorento/
    http://www.tomato-anp.de/ksorento_e.html

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Thank you, Sirs for all your replies!

The main reason for comparing these two is the price. Granted, size-wise, the Tucson is comparable to the Sportage, my main concern was really getting more bang for my buck. I'm not too sure anymore but I seem to recall that the space in the rear seats of the Sorento is just as large (or only very slightly smaller) than that of a Santa Fe. But given the price differences between those two, I couldn't really compare them. Of course, if money were no object, the Santa Fe would win hands down!

Motioncars.com (the only local web-based resource i could find) indicates that the LX version is front drive while the EX is 4WD. I'll probably head on down to a local Kia dealer just to confirm the specs (same for the VGT bit). I wish Kia and Hyundai would update their websites!

Anyway, thanks for all your views. Very much appreciated!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I sifted through the Kia brochure at home last night and both the EX & LX variant of the Sorento are equipped with 4WD.

And no, the Sorento being sold here doesn't have VGT. Although even without VGT its 2.5L turbocharged engine puts out 145hp while the 2.0L VGT equipped engine of the Tucson manages a respectable 110hp.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Even without VGT, the Sorento is a solid drive.

Though the Tucson will beat it in terms of on-road handling dynamics.

If you want more metal for the money, the Sorento is your ticket. It's the base version of Kia's FLAGSHIP SUV. The Tucson CRDi is Hyundai's mid-level version of their entry-level SUV.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    I sifted through the Kia brochure at home last night and both the EX & LX variant of the Sorento are equipped with 4WD.

And no, the Sorento being sold here doesn't have VGT. Although even without VGT its 2.5L turbocharged engine puts out 145hp while the 2.0L VGT equipped engine of the Tucson manages a respectable 110hp.
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Even without VGT, the Sorento is a solid drive.

Though the Tucson will beat it in terms of on-road handling dynamics.

If you want more metal for the money, the Sorento is your ticket. It's the base version of Kia's FLAGSHIP SUV. The Tucson CRDi is Hyundai's mid-level version of their entry-level SUV.
    Thank you, sirs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Kia Sorento LX M/T v. Hyundai Tucson CRDI 2WD A/T