New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    I'll go for GTi, restore it to showroom condition and i'm sure your friend will be more satisfied for a lot less moolah... the Benz W123 may provide more status but i'll go for practicality. I can't ride on that status.

However, if it's a W124 300D (or 300TD I find the wagon version a bit more classy), I might flip over in favor of the Benz.
    The w124 estate is really to die for, but is a tad more expensive than the w123. I've heard the 4g63 of the gti is not at home with your regular mechanic, is this true?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    I'll go for GTi, restore it to showroom condition and i'm sure your friend will be more satisfied for a lot less moolah... the Benz W123 may provide more status but i'll go for practicality. I can't ride on that status.

However, if it's a W124 300D (or 300TD I find the wagon version a bit more classy), I might flip over in favor of the Benz.
    The w124 estate is really to die for, but is a tad more expensive than the w123. I've heard the 4g63 of the gti is not at home with your regular mechanic, is this true?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    sa Benz, 190e (mid 80's model) ang favorite ko pa rin.

BTT : if you have enough money to restore the car, go for the Benz.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Kung pang daily driving lang mas pipiliinko ang Galant GTI medyo mas murang mag maintain rito.
    Last edited by speed unlimited; October 11th, 2010 at 10:16 AM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Kung Benz talaga at W123 body... Mas OK imho ang 230TD (wagon) or 230CE (coupe) (dunno kung may diesel ito) pero da' best pa din ang W124 na TD or CE model.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Benz seriously. Whatever reason I think so, restoration and Mitsu Galant doesn't cut it. Practical, yes, but the more practical way is to buy a new car and use that. Restoration is all about class IMO.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    It all boils down to the priorities of the car keeper. I mean, if he/she prioritizes status, presents or panache(what?!for an old car?!?) then by all means he/she is better off with the Benz. Restoring it properly to provide a satisfactory long term relationship may cost a heck lot of money (it is, a Benz, after all) and may only produce lackluster 80s diesel performance combined with traditional Benz comfy ride and solid feel of quality. But the Galant however, especially the GTi, when restored to showroom cond for a fraction of the cost to keep the Benz running immaculately, may provide a blistering performance to rival most of, if not all, of the current compact cars (1.8L to 2.0L). The 2.0L 4G63 Twin Cam 16valve is good for 145HP. Plus, let's not forget the Galant is still a mid size car. It still provides rather comfortable ride, lots of space for passengers, big trunk and amenities expected of it. For a keeper that thinks of practicality, performance and bit of japorms, the Galant is the way to go.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Pretty insightful post. Never thought that it was this simple after all. I had spent a good deal of my time looking for someone to explain this subject clearly and you’re the only one that ever did that. Kudos to you! Keep it up!

Buy Car Insurance

9. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    This will depend on the driving style/priorities of the driver, if for sunday relax drive around town, cruising mode lang then go for benz. For sporty, spirited(hataw-hataw), carving up the mountains drive - GTI. For this comparo I'll pick the GTI, for me it can give a fairly comfy ride w/ a bit of attitude(especially if you make it into a VR4).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
keeper car: Galant GTI vs. W123 Benz