New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Hi guys,

Guess what, I own both 2010 Isuzu Alterra 4X4 special edition and 2012 Hyundai Tucson CRDI 4WD!

This puts me in a really good position to post comparison of the 2.

FUEL CONSUMPTION
    City driving, average consumption for Tucson is 10.5 KM/L whereas the Alterra is 8.5 - 9 KM/L. it may change a little depending on the traffic (with Alterra doing worse) but more or less this is the FC picture. By the way, my Alterra has RACECHIP pro installed. Without racechip, consumption is always 7.5 - 8 KM/L.

So much for Alterra being more economical. Ever since it has been a disappointment to me in the FC department. Kung highway driving (Manila to Subic), as much as 13 KM/L. But city driving, it boggles my mind that some Alterra owners claim as much as 18 KM/L. I would really love to ride with them on a typical metro manila traffic to see it myself because right now, I find it unbelieveble. And no, I am no fast and furious type of drive.

DRIVE
    Alttera's ride is far better. My wife, daughter and even kasambahay always ends up feeling dizzy in the Tucson. Bouncy ride and quite jerky on curves. Also I had problems with Tucson's brake pads, very rough and noisy. Hyundai service center could not do anything about it. they said it is the same for most Hyundai. My friend's Hyundai Starex had the same problem.

In terms of visibiilty for the driver, Alterra is better as well.

However in terms of turning around i nnarrow spaces, Tucson has big advantage. Not only is it smaller, but it has bigger angle turn than the Alterra. I find this really handy, especially when making sharp u-turns (e.g. along C5, to Robinson's Galeria parking entrance, etc.)

ACCESSORIES
    I really appreciate the audio controls on the steering wheel in the Tucson, very convenient. Tucson's tiptronic transmission is really cool.

Aircon, Alterra's aircon is fantastic. Kahit height ng summer, it keeps us cool, I rarely set the fan to 2. Level 1 is always enough. Also, Alterra's entertainment system, headrest monitors, reverse camera and GPS are something I find almost indispensible.

POWER & ENGINE NOISE
    Tucson has the quieter engine and much better acceleration.

OTHERS
    Alterra has powerfolding mirror, while Tucson is only power mirror.

CONCLUSION
    I am not going to reiterate pros and cons here as I already stated those above. With what I know now based on first hand experience, if I am to choose only 1 to own, I would go for Alterra.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    I got to drive my friend's Alterra last Tuesday. Surprisingly the suspension isn't as stiff as Fortuner. The power delivery is so-so kasi Manual naman, lakas ng torque.

Bumili ka parin pala ng Tucson kahit base diesel lang. Kung ako man din naka base diesel baka di rin ako matuwa. Masyadong bare eh

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

3. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    same observation... di talaga gaano maganda ang tucson kahit yung TOTL pa... engine lang ang ok... the rest parang di ko talaga feel... mas ok pa talaga alterra... kung itong dalawa lang ang icocompare...

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dualsim View Post
    same observation... di talaga gaano maganda ang tucson kahit yung TOTL pa... engine lang ang ok... the rest parang di ko talaga feel... mas ok pa talaga alterra... kung itong dalawa lang ang icocompare...
    Oo nga 'no..

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    For me, I never believed that it was incredibly economical compared to the other 3.0s... somewhat better, yes... but not 40 km/l better.

But you have to admit, the Alterra is one comfortable and spacious truck. It's just the old fashioned looks and high price (for the specs) that turn people off.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Between the two for city driving, perhaps i will go for the Tucson 2.2 R-eVGT.

For long distance family outings requiring ample space and comfort and involving traversing with country backroads, rough roads, offroads, i will choose the Alterra 3.0 Ddi-iTEQ

Still waiting for 7 years now for the Philippine arrival of the 2006 year model 3.0 iTEQ VGS Turbo engine (4JJ1-TCX) mated onto the "hood-scoop" Alterra (MU-7).

Duh, Isuzu Philippines is just hopeless....

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Isuzu Alterra vs Hyundai Tucson