New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    We're hoping there will be. As it is, power gains with a piggyback are limited by a very intrusive ECU that pulls boost whenever the car starts getting hot. That's the lingering problem for the Tuason Racing Diesels... as the easy cure, alcohol injection, is prohibited under PTCC rules, and would just add another fluid that needed topping up every pitstop.

Still... the thing is dynamite when it's on-boost...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    We're hoping there will be. As it is, power gains with a piggyback are limited by a very intrusive ECU that pulls boost whenever the car starts getting hot. That's the lingering problem for the Tuason Racing Diesels... as the easy cure, alcohol injection, is prohibited under PTCC rules, and would just add another fluid that needed topping up every pitstop.

Still... the thing is dynamite when it's on-boost...
    ser Niky, i've seen in the SpeedLab website that they've installed this "Alcohol Injection" to a Mazda MPV and Hyundai Sta Fe. Dyno charts also showed both huge gain esp. for the MPV, not so much with the Sta Fe as probably it was already working much more efficiently out of the factory. do u know of any one installing it in their Focus TDCi?

is this the same principle as the WRX/STi water spray for the intercooler?

also is it practical to use (isn't it too trouble some to keep loading up with water/alcohol all the time?) also i've seen in the chart comparison between water and alcohol, u only get little gain when using the latter. so better stick with water.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    IIt's not practical per se, but every little bit helps on the racetrack or dragstrip.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    It's about 150-160 bhp, estimated, from what we've seen on the dyno.

That's because the 136 bhp rating is not including the "overboost" function... which turns on for about 10 seconds... that's what enables the TDCi to achieve 0-100 km/h times of 8.5 seconds. After those 10 seconds or so, it turns off, and that gasoline car you left far behind you starts catching up again... ...doesn't matter that much on the racetrack, it's too short for the guy to catch up... but on the highway, it's noticeable.
    How does the overboost work?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I don't know if it's on only at full throttle or active at even half throttle... but when the ECU senses that you want more power, it'll raise the power by about 20 Nm (for up to 10 or 20 more horsepower) for around 5-10 seconds.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    I think we're trying to compare a bayabas with a kaimito here. 1.6 vs 2.0L engine? Sport version vs standard car?

IMHO, there is no comparison.

Better if you compare the i30 with, say a Mazda hatchback.

Focus TDCI sport has an illustrious rallye pedigree..........tuned for everyday city driving. After seeing the Focus DSG tranny, there's no need to look any further.

Worse, the i30 breached the P1million mark.

Overpriced vs real value for money.

No comparison.

Sorry. Just an opinion lang po.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ITMA View Post
    I think we're trying to compare a bayabas with a kaimito here. 1.6 vs 2.0L engine? Sport version vs standard car?

IMHO, there is no comparison.

Better if you compare the i30 with, say a Mazda hatchback.

Focus TDCI sport has an illustrious rallye pedigree..........tuned for everyday city driving. After seeing the Focus DSG tranny, there's no need to look any further.

Worse, the i30 breached the P1million mark.

Overpriced vs real value for money.

No comparison.

Sorry. Just an opinion lang po.
    Agree. No comparison. Between the two the Focus is the only choice.

For the i30 to sell they should bring the price down to low 900k. This should be possible now with the korean won at 1400/$

8. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    The i30 and the Focus TDCi are both great cars.
    Overall the focus TDCi slightly edges the i30 out but only by a very narrow margin. But for nearly half the price of the focus (the price abroad), the i30 is the best value for the money. Unfotunately here in the philippines they're both priced at about 1M

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Is the i30 CRDI better than the Focus TDCI Sport?