New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    I disagree. The Impreza STI and Evo X can do it faster.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    I disagree. The Impreza STI and Evo X can do it faster.
    Well obviously. Those cost more than double the Focus TDCi.

If I have to spell it out for you, by "current crop of compacts", I didn't mean to include turbocharged versions of the ordinary sedans.

The Focus 2.0 TDCi competes with the Altis 2.0V, Mazda 3 2.0R, Lancer EX GT-A, Cruze VDCi, Impreza 2.0 R, Forte 2.0 SX, and the Sentra 200. None of which have forced induction and oversized rear wings. None of which cost more than 1.5 million pesos.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    opinion ko lang : the Focus TDCi is better... More power, diesel engine.
    Although maganda din talaga ang elantra.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    For those leaning towards the Focus over the Elantra solely because of fuel efficiency, consider this:

Given current fuel prices, assuming Elantra city FC is at 7.5 km/L, while Focus city FC is at 10 km/L, and that the average car owner travels 15,000 km in a year:

[(15,000 km)/(7.5 km/L)]*(53.65 PhP/L) = Php 107,300 <-- Elantra annual fuel cost
    [(15,000 km)/(10 km/L)]*(43.75 Php/L) = Php 65,625 <-- Focus annual fuel cost

Difference: Php 41,675 of fuel savings with the Focus per year.

SRP of Focus (w/o discounts) = 1,126,000
    SRP of Elantra (w/o discounts) = 958,000
    Difference = 168,000

# of years to recoup the extra price: 4 years. This doesn't include the higher maintenance costs of diesel engines.

Of course, that's all moot once your consider the immense torque and happiness that the Focus brings.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    it depends on what kind of driver you are. if you are not after the driving pleasure and just after the "function" mag-elantra ka nalang. there's a big difference between the two when it comes to the driver's perspective. para sakin, compact cars such as Civic 2012, altis, cruze and elantra are for those who want to have a car while mazda 3, civic 2011 and the focus are for those who want to drive a car. breeding palang ng civic 2011, focus at mazda3 ibang iba na. haha. these are cars that really want to be driven. test drive a unit. meron sa Ford Libis na test unit for focus TDCi, try mo narin elantra. saka ka magdecide after mo ma test drive.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Hindi na nga ako nag-test drive ng Focus TDCi eh. Reserve agad

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sandakot View Post
    it depends on what kind of driver you are. if you are not after the driving pleasure and just after the "function" mag-elantra ka nalang. there's a big difference between the two when it comes to the driver's perspective. para sakin, compact cars such as Civic 2012, altis, cruze and elantra are for those who want to have a car while mazda 3, civic 2011 and the focus are for those who want to drive a car. breeding palang ng civic 2011, focus at mazda3 ibang iba na. haha. these are cars that really want to be driven. test drive a unit. meron sa Ford Libis na test unit for focus TDCi, try mo narin elantra. saka ka magdecide after mo ma test drive.
    The Cruze and Elantra are actually good-handling cars. The Cruze has one of the most balanced chassis among compacts today (one of the biggest winners in the WTCC), but is severely hampered by the sloppy 6-speed automatic that local models have. The Elantra has a willing, light chassis but has lame eco-tires (Hankook Kinergy Eco) that limit its grip.

I haven't driven the Focus but the Mazda 3 is truly a driver's car. More than what paper specs can offer, the driving experience is borderline sublime. Not exactly practical with the small trunk and back seats (not to mention the high 1.3M price tag), but it'll bring you smiles as big as its own smiley-faced grille. The Civic isn't as sporty, but it feels very sure-footed even when you thrash it around.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Cruze has a potential. pero mabigat kasi yung chasis niya and as you said, transmission is sloppy. when it comes to suspension naman, i have no idea but i think it would be tuned for city slaloms. but given it's weight and width, it would have a lot of body rolls. who cares about body rolls anyway? lesser body roll better handling in the corners pero hindi naman big factor yun unless... correct me if i'm wrong ha.

mazda 3 is based on the focus platform so whatever the feel on the mazda 3, expect the same or even better for the focus. yeah. rip-off yung price tag. kung pinalitan sana engine okay na. previous gen. civic was balanced between a sporty compact and a city car. focus and mazda 3 are a bit on the sportier side. siguro ganun lang talaga sila gumawa ng mga cars sa europe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
hyundai elantra vs ford focus