New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2007
    Hyundai Accent 1.5CRDi vs Honda City 1.5VTEC

Hi guys! I'm coming up with a list of what cars would be worth considering. And this two keep me wondering. Please help which is better in terms of:

1) Fuel Efficiency

2) Low cost of maintenance

3) Interior Comfort

4) Ride quality

5) Safety

6) After Sales service

Salamat po!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    1. Accent. Economy is similar with the City VTEC, but it's in gasoline, so fuel still costs more. And the Accent is much faster.

2. City, probably. Longer oil change intervals. Dealership service is expensive, yes, but once you're past the warranty, there's no need to go there anyway (some people don't even wait for the warranty to expire).

3. City. Accent's not bad, though. Almost as roomy.

4. City. Accent's kinda bumpy. Both ride kind of stiffly, but the Honda feels much more settled over sharp bumps. In fact, the Kia Rio (which is based on the Accent) feels better than the Accent, too.

5. Unknown. The City isn't sold in the US, so crash tests are not available. If it's as stiff as the Jazz/Fit, then it's a bit safer... but the Accent meets NHTSA crash standards.

6. A lot of people complain about Honda service. Hyundai service depends on which dealership you go to... but this is true of the Honda, too.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Thanks niky for the very informative reply

It's also interesting to note the recent article of M. delos Reyes of the Philippine Star's Motoring section today, Sept 19, '07 regarding his impressions of the Accent CRDi. Here's the the link to the article.

consider the fuel cost

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I agree with him except on the ride... but then, it's okay over most surfaces, it's on truly rough surfaces that the lack of shock damping becomes a problem.

6. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I agree with him except on the ride... but then, it's okay over most surfaces, it's on truly rough surfaces that the lack of shock damping becomes a problem.
    Thanks. I think with this, a better ride would be more appreciated by the wife as part of the route we will be taking everyday (East Bank Floodway) is a bit harsh.

We will be travelling around 55km round trip that's why I'm picky with the fuel economy aspect (VTEC 12km/L++ vs CRDi 15km/L++ source: motioncars.com/philstar.com). hehhehhe

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well, personally, I'm very picky... neither of these two vehicles rides as well as, say, a Corolla or a Civic, since both are small cars with torsion beam rear axles and light rear shocks... but for most people, they're okay. The only way to know if it's good for you would be to test-drive both.

Of note, also, is the fact that the VTEC that costs the same as the Accent is an automatic. The CVT is very easy to use. The Honda City MT is also quite easy to use... it gets a bit notchy with age, but the action of the clutch and shifter are a cut above the others (since it's a Honda). The Hyundai's shifter is kind of rubbery, but the light clutch is easy on the feet.

Up to you. While the City feels like a more upscale car, ibang klase din ang dating if you're one of the few people around with a diesel sedan. And the Accent is a sleeper... like the writer said, it's a dragster in disguise...

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Thank you for posting the link to that article. I really regretted buying a Nissan Sentra GSX over a Hyundai Accent just about two weeks ago. Well, got two Hyundai's already and having Getz CRDi already satisfies my thirst for speed. But I must say that I would still like to get an Accent, the new Sta. Fe/Tucson CRDi, and the new Starex. What I don't like is that some taxi companies are already using the Accent in their fleets... something we can't help as it is indeed very economical. Just relieved that Hatchbacks can no longer be used for cabs. My only complaint with the Accent is the "high waistline" appearance due to a mislocated "door guard". They should also sell the 2 door Accent Hatchback here with a slightly bigger engine as there seems to be a void when the Civic SIR model was discontinuedand. Would be great to speed by Civic owners in medium traffic... (the Civic 2.0 is still faster on straightaways).

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    Thanks niky for the very informative reply

It's also interesting to note the recent article of M. delos Reyes of the Philippine Star's Motoring section today, Sept 19, '07 regarding his impressions of the Accent CRDi. Here's the the link to the article.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
    Thanks. I think with this, a better ride would be more appreciated by the wife as part of the route we will be taking everyday (East Bank Floodway) is a bit harsh.

We will be travelling around 55km round trip that's why I'm picky with the fuel economy aspect (VTEC 12km/L++ vs CRDi 15km/L++ source: motioncars.com/philstar.com). hehhehhe
    pag laging may traffic route mo, get the CRDi kasi consistent ang consumption nya. di katulad pag gas, pag na-traffic ng heavy yun 12km/l puwede mag big drop to 8 or 7km.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually, I prefer the Getz CRDi... if it's a "need for speed" you've got, the Getz is lighter, with firmer steering. More confidence inspiring at speed. The Accent is only much better than the Getz at low speeds, as the Accent's transmission (or, more likely, engine mounts, as C! Magazine suggests) reacts better to low rpm driving than the Getz's.

If it's a "sports model" CRDi you want, I'd put my money on a Rio wagon or sedan CRDi. Great little car... needs a better engine.

The taxi issue may be bad for resale... somewhat, but who cares? If it means that Hyunda/Kia engine parts become more common at the Banaue shops, all the better!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Hyundai Accent 1.5CRDi vs Honda City 1.5VTEC