New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    For me, i would buy an lc200 every 5years. May resale value pa rin. Given na money is not a problem diba.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dcph172 View Post
    HYPOTHETICAL: Buy three 1-1.5M cars over 15 years (replace and buy one every 5 years) or buy one toyota landcruiser lc200 now and keep it for 15 years?

Like for example, i buy a brand new 2015 mu-x now then after 5 years i sell it to get a brand new 2020 fortuner or the like. Then after 5 years i sell the fortuner to get a 2025 forester.

Or is it also of sound logic that i get a brand new 2015 lc200 now then keep it for fifteen years?

Will it still have a "dating" 10 years from now than a brandnew 1.5m car? Will it still command more respect than a 2025-2030 fortuner/forester/ms/tb and the likes?

Circumstances:

Personal car. Daily driven(asphalt hi-way). Small family.
    Yup The yj40 lc of the 70's is still a headturner
    Our 1992 LC80 us-spec still commands the road
    If I were with a 4.3 budget for a brand new suv
    I will go for 2 cars only a Pajero and a camry will do fine for me
    maintaining 3 or more in experience may be expensive

3. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    The 1m-1.5m car today might be already 2m in 5 years time. In 10yrs, it might be 2.5m.

4. Join Date
    May 2015
    I would change every 7-8 years. somewhere in between your options

5. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Wow so much responses and inputs.

I didnt know that our lc's are made in china na pala?!

Btw im not married. Im single pa.

I guess maybe use the lc200 for 5-7 years as a daily drive then keep it/maintain it as a legacy/weekend car.

Of course these are all hypothetical and still about 5 years down the road. Siguro lc300 na non. I was just thinking about the future and given the reliability of lc's and how much presence even the 80s-100s still commands, i thought if its logical to skip buying average cars every x years and just buy above average car every 2-3x years. All superficial and no offense meant to the 1-1.5m cars owner. Heck im one now.

The pajero/camry combo is good advise though id prolly go for the next gen pajero and a subaru legacy combo. The bk is showing its age na.

Ps: i really dont mind driving 15 year old cars. Id like to think we maintain our cars well. My first car was our family's old pajero of which my only complaint was the aircon. I drove it until i crashed it. Or rather a jeep crashed into it. Its was a solid car (literally). I miss it sometimes
    Last edited by dcph172; May 6th, 2015 at 12:27 AM.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ruelle41 View Post
    Is leasing a feasible solution in the Philippines? Could work for TS since he's planning to change every x years.

Merong leasing option sa bdo... Not sure if ts would want to take this route though

7. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    ^ Sa BMW,Lexus,MB, meron kaso every 3 years lang, the dealer takes car of insurance and maintenance

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I'd also choose the buy 3 1.5M cars in 15 yrs option.

The LC200 might still have a road presence 15 yrs down the road but it is still a 15 yr old vehicle. By that time you will not be using it that much anymore.

I still have our 14 yr old car, an 01 Civic. Sure it can still bring me to different places whenever I feel using it, it's not really that problematic, but the confidence of driving it as compared to driving our newer vehicles is different especially out of town trips.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crosswind View Post
    ^ Sa BMW,Lexus,MB, meron kaso every 3 years lang, the dealer takes car of insurance and maintenance
    Ang maganda pa sa lease, kapag nag breakdown yung kotse tapos matatagalan sa casa yung repairs, pwede ka magdemand ng service car na same spec dapat. Eh kasi sige pa rin bayad mo nung monthly "rental".

Pinaka-hassle free ownership talaga ang lease lalo na kung you dont mind not owning the car you spend for. With the overhead of yearly insurance, periodic maintenance, and significant depreciation, buying the car instead of leasing also results in a big loss come resale time. In some cases it may be close to the total loss if you had leased instead.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234